IGNORED

Free Atari games at Taco Bell...

Of course nothing beats playing Atari games on a H6er, but I will have to check the TacoBell near me and see if they have 'em all for sale and maybe also pick up a 10-pack of hard shell Taco Supremes, with a lot their hottest sauce packets. :) I like Taco Bell food, but then again I'm not a picky eater, like some people I know that bitch about something with every meal.

Edited by ovalbugmann

Last Thursday, I went to my local Taco Bell, but they did not have them yet (though the cashier claimed she did know what I was talking about). On Friday, I decided to call before heading out, and the clerk couldn't answer my question, nor was a manager available at the time (really, no manager?). Finally, I called again earlier today, got a clueless clerk, then got a manager, and then proceeded to have a weird conversation. All I was trying to ask was if the Atari game CD-ROMs were available, but he answered with a question, asking where I was from. A little confused, I answered with the name of my township. "No, I mean what company," he clarified. I replied, "Um, I'm just a consumer." This was then followed by some hard to understand words (not only did he speak with an accent, but there was lots of background chatter), something about not all Taco Bells having the same promotions. But, he must have been looking at his inventory as he said these things to me, because he suddenly said that he did have them and could set some aside for me. He asked when I expected to come around and told me to ask for him by name when I got there.

A short while later, I got there, and after I placed my order (included some lunch), he went to the back and pulled out a cardboard box. I couldn't keep standing at the register, though, so I didn't see anymore, but I suspect that it was an unopened box, based on our earlier conversation and the fact that it had to be retrieved from the back. Anyway, he came back and handed me all 4 (which was what I had asked for); the receipt indicated that they had cost me $1.49 + tax each.

Well, so that's my story. I haven't opened any of them yet, so I don't know how well they run on my machine. Maybe I'll go back another day and get another set to keep unopened.

onmode-ky

I must be the only one who had to pay $1.75 for these. Not complaining, but WTF, do they have no standards? We also both bought full lunches with drinks too, it's not like we weren't spending any other money. Oh well. Haven't tried them out, going to try them on the Mac since there seems to be better luck with that.

By the way, I wasn't sure whether to open them at first, but they open pretty cleanly. The flap is just held by some gum, so peel it open carefully, and you can seal it up again and it will hardly look like it was opened at all. There's really nothing special inside (other than the obvious). The discs don't have any cool art, and there's a coupon for 10% off any Atari purchase, and on the back of that an advertisement for Backyard Baseball II.

Just got a bunch of them at the local Taco Bell for .99 plus tax. Nobody knew they were there and half the employees started crowding around saying they're taking home too, plus half the patrons in the dining area shot up to the counter. When I mentioned I coded them they had me start autographing. Really surreal.

Just got a bunch of them at the local Taco Bell for .99 plus tax. Nobody knew they were there and half the employees started crowding around saying they're taking home too, plus half the patrons in the dining area shot up to the counter. When I mentioned I coded them they had me start autographing. Really surreal.

LOL, that's great Marty! Just don't let all the fame go to your head! :D

Seriously though... I'm amazed (not really) at how oblivious the employees are about a promotion going on at their stores. Especially, when there are posters hanging on the walls!

Seriously though... I'm amazed (not really) at how oblivious the employees are about a promotion going on at their stores. Especially, when there are posters hanging on the walls!

Fast food places only get my order right about 75% of the time, so I'm not surprised at all!

Though I do have to give a shout out for the Delevan, WI Taco Bell. Not only is the service always perfect, but they've trained their employees to always say "hello" right as you walk in the door and "have a nice day" or whatever when you leave... every time. Best TB I've ever been into.

Cool wgungfu! Your part of history now! I think many people realize Atari started it all, and these are remastered and updated PC versions of original Atari titles, so these have that nostolgic and collectible quality. :cool: And to get the actual program coders' signature on them at a restaurant is something all the interested people at countless other Taco Bells don't have the opportunity to get. ;) If I was there I would have asked for mine to be signed too. :D

After the promotion is finished and you can't get them anymore, the ones you signed are going to be worth more, even moreso down the road. I remember the Atari McDonalds promotion but was just a young kid and didn't think to save any of the scratch cards. Not everybody who plays video games knows what Atari did in videogame history, but there are current generation gamers that do know about Atari's significance.

I think this release is an example of what Curt said about the current Atari starting to use their famous software porfolio more to garner new attention(and much needed revenue) for the company. It's a smart move for them to use their vintage assets to generate nostolgia for all the classic and current generation gamers as well, that are in the know. (There are gamers out there that don't know what the hell an Atari is!)

Hey, is your name printed in the production credits anywhere on the package or disc or is your name on screen at anytime? Did any doubting Thomas's ask to see your ID to match up the names? :P

Edited by ovalbugmann

Hey, is your name printed in the production credits anywhere on the package or disc or is your name on screen at anytime? Did any doubting Thomas's ask to see your ID to match up the names?

Nope, Taco Bell wouldn't allow any credits listing, not even Atari management people. We just got the Legacy Engineering logo in there and that's it - though we will be putting up a page for it on our page with full credits, etc.

I went to the nearest Taco bell yesterday and they had no clue either.Kind of silly of me,but i was under the impression they were in cartridge format :dunce: :lol: They would appeal to me better if they were cartridges,so the TB games don't appeal to me anyway,still cool to see though.

Edited by Rik

I went to the nearest Taco bell yesterday and they had no clue either.Kind of silly of me,but i was under the impression they were in cartridge format :dunce: :lol: They would appeal to me better if they were cartridges,so the TB games don't appeal to me anyway,still cool to see though.

Been to several Taco Bell locations in my area... they looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked about the Atari titles.

Been to several Taco Bell locations in my area... they looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked about the Atari titles.

That's basically what happened to me,one clerk laughed and said"they stopped making those games in the 80's"

That's basically what happened to me,one clerk laughed and said"they stopped making those games in the 80's"

lol! :roll:

That's ok Rik, you don't appeal to us either. :D

Marty, that's cool that you were signing autographs. Agree with ovalbugman, you're part of Atari history! Don't be surprised if you have a few disks mysteriously mailed to you for signing :P

Way too cool. When I picked up my second set and the box, there were a couple of guys there, much younger than I, and they thought it was super cool that I knew the developers (meaning you and Curt). I happened to have the t-shirt that came in the FB2+ as well, so it was very fun getting them and talking to those guys.

Nathan

+1 to So. Cal Mike for taking the time to post that video. Haven't opened mine yet, but I noticed something on Mike's vid that made me laugh out loud... whose idea was it to display the burned-in image of '1 Coin 1 Play' on the screen? Talk about paying attention to detail! A nice touch, BUT... I wonder if anybody playing the game would think that's strange or if they get the humor or realism you guys were striving for? :lol:

nor was a manager available at the time (really, no manager?).

Could have been at the bank, I used to manage a KFC and depositing the money was one of the things we had to do.

A friend picked up all four for me while she was visiting Taco Bell in Bellingham, Washington. She paid for the meals and they gave her the games for NOTHING! Woo hoo!

Had lunch at one today and got them free as well, though the guy only gave me 3 of them. I'll have to pick up Centipede on another visit.

whose idea was it to display the burned-in image of '1 Coin 1 Play' on the screen? Talk about paying attention to detail! A nice touch, BUT... I wonder if anybody playing the game would think that's strange or if they get the humor or realism you guys were striving for? :lol:

Mine, thanks for noticing. ;)

Tried to do whatever I could to enhance the experience in these, which is why there's a glow in Asteroids and Lunar Lander as well to try and reproduce the vector monitor glow effect.

I also tried enhancing the "evolved" versions from Stainless' wherever I could (I'm sure people know by now I'm not a big fan of their releases). That included cutting out the ridiculous exploding colors attempt at a Jeff Minter imitation. Still had to use their sprites for Centipede Evolved, but cleared all that up as well.

The original version of Breakout we had actually had a working control panel and spinner that moved in time to the user's mouse motion. And they all had reproductions of their original start buttons - (oversized circular lit up 1 player start for Breakout, blinking red led cone for Asteroids, etc.).

Breakout Evolved and Lunar Lander Evolved are completely our own design. On Breakout Evolved, I wanted to go for an overall Tron look rather than the stupid Arkanoid clone look all the others went for. You'll note I even added LED number circuitry in the playfield background for the score, balls, etc. to kind of make it look like the handheld LED games of our youth in the playfield area.

Lunar Lander Evolved's concept was joint between Curt and I. First and foremost, we wanted to wipe out that horrible deviation done on the PSP and bring it back towards the actual concept. He came up with the idea of tying it in to the lunar landing anniversary (these were done in 2009 mind you) and using the NASA samples, and the bonus level concept. I came up with the idea and method of combining the original vector lines with actual sprites to pay homage to the original. I wanted to do similar in Asteroids Evolved, but they made us tie it in to the PSP Asteroids Evolved. So that's why they have the black look but with vector outlines.

Curt, jump in if I left anything else yet regarding your design input, etc.

Edited by wgungfu