IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Good morning fish....hope you weren't abducted last night!

they got me, but i was able to get 23 boxed Air Raids, 10 Red Sea Crossings, and 5 GoGo monsters ...

and it burns burns burns .... the ring of uranus .... the ring of uranus ....

:D :D :D

Same thing here, I was hoping it wouldn't all be revealed by the time I finished reading. I read about the cart, but I missed this post. Best post in ages and the picture of the box is incredible. In my opinion, the cart is real, but not the box. We'll see -- whatever happens, this is what makes AtariAge such a fun community.

Wow... I haven't been around here much lately and I almost missed some of the biggest 2600 collector news of all time!

It's unfortunate that this is coming out around April 1, as others have said, because it immediately arouses suspicion. If that box is a fake, it's one of the most meticulously-crafted fakes I've ever seen, and it's accurate to the time period and the printing flaws likely to have occurred with something produced on the cheap by a Taiwanese printer in the early '80s.

Then, of course, there's the matter of the stones it would take to run an eBay auction as part of an April Fools prank. The response would not be amusement but mass outrage in the community. A lot of people would be seriously pissed at Al for participating in this hoax.

My assessment: it HAS to be real.

Question: If you stumbled across an Air Raid cartridge in a box of old video games and posted it on AA knowing that you might have the box for it would you wait 9 days!!! From the original post March 21st to March 30th, to post that you had found the box to Air Raid. Knowing what it was worth from all the hype it caused....I personally would have stayed up 24/7 to find that box and ripped apart everything video game box I might have in a closet,attic, or some storage area...would you wait 9 days :?: ;)

Exactly :thumbsup:

Question: If you stumbled across an Air Raid cartridge in a box of old video games and posted it on AA knowing that you might have the box for it would you wait 9 days!!! From the original post March 21st to March 30th, to post that you had found the box to Air Raid. Knowing what it was worth from all the hype it caused....I personally would have stayed up 24/7 to find that box and ripped apart everything video game box I might have in a closet,attic, or some storage area...would you wait 9 days :?: ;)

I think you guys are over analyzing this.

..Al

Wow... I haven't been around here much lately and I almost missed some of the biggest 2600 collector news of all time!

It's unfortunate that this is coming out around April 1, as others have said, because it immediately arouses suspicion. If that box is a fake, it's one of the most meticulously-crafted fakes I've ever seen, and it's accurate to the time period and the printing flaws likely to have occurred with something produced on the cheap by a Taiwanese printer in the early '80s.

Then, of course, there's the matter of the stones it would take to run an eBay auction as part of an April Fools prank. The response would not be amusement but mass outrage in the community. A lot of people would be seriously pissed at Al for participating in this hoax.

My assessment: it HAS to be real.

Egads a fake auction that never ends with a high bidder !!

Yes some will gripe. Not that those who gripe would have won such an auction anyway and those same people are currently gripping about something else anyway.

My question is this.

IF the box is real where is the real AA April Fools joke? This auction is featured on the homepage and I don't see anything else of interest posted anywhere.

• Like 1

Hey, I think I found the very Tuesday Morning mentioned on the auction "near the corner of Arkansas Lane and Medline Drive". That means they've been open for 26 years now. Impressive.

http://www.mapquest....results_org_map

Did you go in and ask the clerks if they remember selling this game to anyone in 1985?

Of course. Like everyone else in this thread, I too happen to live near Austin, Texas. :lol:

Edited by Valler

I wasn't going to respond to any of the crazy posts but thus seems a mire down to earth concern.

My 2600, carts, joysticks, paddles, instructions, owners Manila, etc etc were all in one box. Same for my 800 and amiga 500. All the cart boxes where on the bottom of a different box with a bunch if random toys on top. I incorrectly assumed that all 2600 stuff was together.

Cool thing is I am not done going through all my old boxes. Maybe I got an Apple Lisa stashed away.... Just kidding.

Tannan

My 2600, carts, joysticks, paddles, instructions, owners Manila, etc etc were all in one box. Same for my 800 and amiga 500. All the cart boxes where on the bottom of a different box with a bunch if random toys on top. I incorrectly assumed that all 2600 stuff was together.

Cool thing is I am not done going through all my old boxes. Maybe I got an Apple Lisa stashed away.... Just kidding.

Hmmm-- I vote "Shenanigans!"

Not done going thru all your old boxes, but still just dropped over $100 on 77 old 2600 games on Ebay, after pointing out $52 for the listing wasn't coming back-- like money is tight? That, couples with the upside down controller holding on the box make me think that this is an elaborate prank. :)

And of course, I hope for your sake, and good fortune, I am wrong. :) Truth is, I couldn't afford to bid on the Air Raid if it were only $1!

The thing I don't get, and maybe its been touched on but I'm not reading 18 pages - The name "Air Raid" was made up because no one knew the real name of the game but now a box shows up with the name "Air Raid" on it? :ponder:

I thought the same thing, but this was addressed in a previous post. According to that post, the name came from the recollection of someone that Pitfall Harry knew who remembered seeing the box.

All that is necessary is for PH's friend to have remembered correctly. I may be fooled, but I'm leaning strongly toward this being legit.

(edit for tyyypo) :P

The thing I don't get, and maybe its been touched on but I'm not reading 18 pages - The name "Air Raid" was made up because no one knew the real name of the game but now a box shows up with the name "Air Raid" on it? :ponder:

http://www.atariage....93#entry1784393

..Al

There has been a box to Air Raid found. The first Air Raid reported to me for the JerryG Classic Video Game Guide was found by a Mesa, AZ collector in the mid 90's somewhere in the Denver area. It was in a box. I can't for the life of me remember the collector's name but he also found a set of the the NES X-rated games in box at about the same time. Later he moved to Texas and I bought the NES games from him.

Since then the boxed game seems to have disappeared along with the collector.

JerryG

The way its worded, it doesn't sound like JerryG actually saw the box for himself, it was just reported to him. But assuming he had, he must have surely included a picture of it in his book. If so, where's the picture from that book?

Now all evidence has mysteriously disappeared with this mysterious collector. Sorry, I'm still on the fence here. I've been on AA many years and I know how this day has gone in the past ;)

Until then, judgment reserved :)

Edited by AtariLeaf

I've looked for longer than 9 days to find something I KNOW I have. :?

Granted it's not quite in the same class as an Air Raid box, but I recently looked for 2 weeks for my triwing GBA tool before giving up and buying another. Now I've got 2 (one of which I know where is.) :D

What I spend my money on is none of your damn business.

This was what I was talking about earlier about how a few jerks drive away new members to the site.

Hmmm-- I vote "Shenanigans!"

Not done going thru all your old boxes, but still just dropped over $100 on 77 old 2600 games on Ebay, after pointing out $52 for the listing wasn't coming back-- like money is tight? That, couples with the upside down controller holding on the box make me think that this is an elaborate prank. :)

And of course, I hope for your sake, and good fortune, I am wrong. :) Truth is, I couldn't afford to bid on the Air Raid if it were only $1!