IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Numbers are just a means (but not the only means) of confirming that original parts are still together. No one cares about numbers in and of themselves, it is what they establish (i.e., that the original parts are still together) that is important. In the case of this CIB Air Raid, we don't need numbers, because we have Tanman's account of the game's history. But now that the original cartridge has been separated from its original box, the appeal of the story and the item have lost something IMO.

Yes, I understand.

But the carts and the boxes are of the same age and were most likely put together on the same day (perhaps the person putting the parts together first put another Air Raid cart in the inlay to see how it fitted before putting the one in "that belongs there").

So what you're saying is based on a feeling.

8)

• Like 2

Yes, I understand.

But the carts and the boxes are of the same age and were most likely put together on the same day (perhaps the person putting the parts together first put another Air Raid cart in the inlay to see how it fitted before putting the one in "that belongs there").

So what you're saying is based on a feeling.

8)

Of course it is based on a "feeling". That cartridge and box would have zero value if not for "feelings". In fact, nothing in life save for necessities (which doesn't include video games at all) would have any value without "feelings".

However, that doesn't change the widespread appeal of "matching numbers" (or rather, what "matching numbers" represent) in all sorts of collecting.

Edited by MaximRecoil
  • Like 2

He still never said which one he purchased.

Also, Wonder most certainly has a lot of experience with rare and one of a kind items and his collection is well, beyond wonderful.

The only real time that "matching numbers" becomes an issue imo, is when it's resold which I do not see happening any time in the too near future. He also still has the currently only but at the very least first Air Raid box to be found with an original history.

I can't wait for that museum! :D

He still never said which one he purchased.

No, but Wonder stated his plan to keep the cartridge he already had, and sell the newly acquired one:

Please PM me with any questions. My cart is great condition, it is in better condition than the one in this auction so I will keep the better copy obviously. I will give it a week to entertain offers (I will make a decision next Saturday at 7:00 pm PDT if I will accept the highest offer or hold on to it...not sure yet.

Thanks,

- Wonder007

I asked which one Atari2600Lives had bought, hoping that Wonder had changed his mind.

The only real time that "matching numbers" becomes an issue imo, is when it's resold

Yes, because selling price reflects value. Whether he sells it or not, it has lost something (value, history, "cool factor", whatever).

Imagine that he came across an NOS, unapplied Air Raid cartridge label left over from the original production. He could remove the existing label and replace it with the NOS one. It would look nice, but would it be a good thing?

He also still has the currently only but at the very least first Air Raid box to be found with an original history.

Missing the cartridge that came with it. What he has is impressive, but not as impressive as it was before the cartridge and box were separated.

Note that the reason Tanman canceled his original auction and started a new one including both the box and cartridge (rather than selling them separately in two auctions) is that he felt that they should stay together (see post #33).

Also note that I am speaking under the assumption that Wonder did not change his stated plan. I actually hope that assumption is wrong.

Edited by MaximRecoil

Wow! Lots of people think the same, eh? I think White Knight is right, it must be a personal preference thing!

It is, and I'm surprised you don't feel the same way.

To me it's much cooler having the original cart Tanner used to play together with the original box he bought. That's his story. I've always regretted losing my original collection as a kid. Sure I can buy a 1,000 Asteroid carts that are in pristine condition, but I'd kill to have that old beat up original I used to play. It has sentimental value.

At first I thought it best to keep Tanman's former cartridge and box together; however, they weren't stored together all these years. They were stored separately (just like Wonder's cartridge and Tanman's box were stored separately--in different states :)), so that takes a way a little of the romanticism; at least I think so. Plus, the more I thought about it the more I realized I would keep the cartridge that is in better condition, too.

• Like 2

Dude, it's not an engine for a classic car or anything.

No, it was more expensive than most engines (or most classic cars for that matter).

Are you serious? Top of the line classic cars here (fords and Chevvys typically sell for between $250k-$1m. The engines alone are worth much more than $30k ;)

To me it's much cooler having the original cart Tanner used to play together with the original box he bought. That's his story. I've always regretted losing my original collection as a kid. Sure I can buy a 1,000 Asteroid carts that are in pristine condition, but I'd kill to have that old beat up original I used to play. It has sentimental value.

For Tanner it would have sentimental value, but not for Wonder. I know what you mean, though.

At first I thought it best to keep Tanman's former cartridge and box together; however, they weren't stored together all these years. They were stored separately (just like Wonder's cartridge and Tanman's box were stored separately--in different states :)), so that takes a way a little of the romanticism; at least I think so. Plus, the more I thought about it the more I realized I would keep the cartridge that is in better condition, too.

True, but they were just reunited, only to be separated again. :)

For Tanner it would have sentimental value, but not for Wonder. I know what you mean, though.

That's what I was posting. Of course I keep my own collection stuff from my memories, like my Space Invaders that I played with my dad. But anything I buy off eBay, personally, that sentimental value is a second-person sentiment and not valuable to me. I agree that it's personal preference, though.

And Tanner's cart has men-a-plaque.

8)

You know if a comic cover is switched out with another cover, or the inside of the comic is switched out with better pages it is looked down upon in the comic community. Yeah, it does look better, but there is some history that is lost by doing so.

And what is the relevance of this? Your analogy would be relevant if Wonder007 removed the label off one cart and placed it on another cart. With a comic, removing the cover and placing it on another copy requires some sort of manipulation of the components that make up the item. By swapping carts, there is no manipulation of the item, thus my analogy to the swapping of labels. If anything, by keeping the better cart Wonder007's copy is worth more.

• Like 1

It is, and I'm surprised you don't feel the same way.

Same here. A while ago, my old neighbor came over to see/play my Missile Command arcade machine (full story here). When I was a kid, Jeff gave me his copy of Missile Command that he'd bought with his own money some years prior (at the full $50 - $60, not the $0.99 post-crash price) when I got my Atari 2600 in 1985, since he no longer had an Atari by that time. Well, I would have liked to have pulled that cartridge out when he was here and said, "Remember this?"; but even though I have a copy of Missile Command for the 2600, it is not the copy that he game me when I was 10. He never would have known the difference, but I wouldn't have felt right about it.

Well, at least someone knows what I mean.

And what is the relevance of this? Your analogy would be relevant if Wonder007 removed the label off one cart and placed it on another cart. With a comic, removing the cover and placing it on another copy requires some sort of manipulation of the components that make up the item. By swapping carts, there is no manipulation of the item, thus my analogy to the swapping of labels.

The cartridge and box (and instructions, when applicable) are components that make up the item.

If anything, by keeping the better cart Wonder007's copy is worth more.
That's debatable, especially with the backstory being a matter of public record.

I think in the future something like this will be looked down more upon. I mean think about it. If you told someone 50 years ago to not clean a gun because you thought the original patina was important, they probably would of thought of you as crazy. If 30 years ago you told a comic collector to not marry that cover with a another comic, again the comic collector would look at you funny. If a person cleaned a coin up to a better state, again years ago this was OK, but now is not.

But after all this I have to say I am okay with Wonder selling the cart with the box in order to upgrade. I would do things differently, but it is his money, and he has the right to do with this what he wants. Because of the gaming meet in in Southern California I was able to speak to Wonder. I could see that he gave the idea of keeping the original cart together deep consideration. So whatever he did, I am pretty cool with. He actually thought about it from both sides. So whatever he does, more power to him.

I knew what you meant, Omega. :) I just don't value someone else's memories as much as mine. To me, Tanner playing with it in his childhood doesn't mean as much to me as having a nicer cart. Now if it were ME playing with it, sure! My Space Invaders is like your Asteroids, beat to hell and back, but it'll probably last longer than my dad does (which even for him will be 35 years at least) and having the original cart I played with him is more important.

I don't care what other kids remember, just what kid Cebus remembers. :lol:

• Like 1

Are you serious? Top of the line classic cars here (fords and Chevvys typically sell for between $250k-$1m. The engines alone are worth much more than $30k ;)

Yes I'm serious. Do you not know the meaning of the word "most" or did you simply choose to ignore that I used it?

No, but I see the meaning of the word "arrogant ass" quite clearly right now. :P

• Like 3