IGNORED

Kinect/Natal is an epic failure. period.

xg4bx

http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/news/kinect-only-works-standing.html

Wave goodbye to sitting on the couch while gaming. According to a report on IGN, Microsoft's upcoming motion control interface Kinect only works while you're standing. IGN's latest write-up of the motion control kit, which is due to launch worldwide this November, reveals that "right now, Kinect only works when you stand"."This includes menu navigation," continues the article. "All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099085p1.html

In more than a few demos, Kinect didn't always understand what people were saying. And these were folks without accents and in rooms without a lot of echo or noise.

Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room.

edit-what if somebody walks by and goes "xbox off" to screw with you? having to stand just to start a movie? if you're disabled, forget about it. this is too much fail.

Edited by xg4bx

Kinetic is a failure because you're lazy?

I've only been here a few days, and already I've found out that you are the resident Sony Fanboy. Sony could shrinkwrap farts, and you'd be first in line to huff them up.

By the way..

http://www.cracked.com/article_18609_more-proof-video-game-industry-out-ideas-e3-2010.html

Yeah. Sony did really well. :roll:

• Like 3

Just because you have to stand up to stop a movie doesn't mean you must stand the whole way through. Unless you pause and get up a lot, I don't see how it's a problem. And what's more, when the movie is finished, you can just get up and say "xbox, off" and walk away. Tell me that's not convenient.

xg4bx/fanboy is an epic failure. period.

• Like 1

They just don't. I'd love to say that I do, but I don't.

I'm pretty sure anyone spending $150 to play a motion controlled game would though eh?

You don't, that's fine. Don't say no one else does.

I've owned a Wii from almost day one. I have yet to play it while sitting down.

BTW...When did xg4bx turn into AA's biggest anti MS troll?

Is someone going to break into my house and install this Kinect thing? If not, I don't have to worry about it. My Xbox 360 is hooked up to my computer monitor, so I can't stand up in front of it and wiggle around like I have the DTs.

I also have a recliner I got for free that I use as my computer chair. Now I can have my feet up at the computer, which is better for my heath, and I made a computer/mouse table on wheels that I slide up over the chair. I can't get up and down a million times a day, so I'll stick with a normal controller.

• Like 1

I have a Wii and I don't even play it in a room where standing to play is a realistic option. It is actually the only console I keep in my bedroom and when I play it I am always laying in the bed. Some might consider that the wrong way to use it but the games I play on it don't require any jumping around.

I'm pretty sure anyone spending $150 to play a motion controlled game would though eh?

You don't, that's fine. Don't say no one else does.

I've owned a Wii from almost day one. I have yet to play it while sitting down.

BTW...When did xg4bx turn into AA's biggest anti MS troll?

it's balance, man. especially considering every sony topic is "waaaah they wronged me, how dare they protect their billion dollar investment from my prodding ."

the point is that EVERY piece of marketing for this thing shows people operating it from an obviously seated position. it is outright fraudulent advertising.

and as for trolling this is like the first time i've opened my mouth about anything. i've said ms has forgotten their fanbase and made fun of this dopey peripheral. that's been the extent of me truly giving opinions on anything.

don't shoot the messenger, take it up with IGN because it's their report. all i did was post it here.

...Wii from almost day one. I have yet to play it while sitting down.

That reminds me of when I got my Wii :). I played all games standing up because it felt right. That means that yes, I played through half of Zelda, standing :P hahaha . It was really fun, but that whole bit faded away into me just sitting and waggling.

Anywho, kind of a forward topic, but pretty true (for me). I honestly do think the Kinect is pretty useless..., but whatever, to each their own. I just don't understand why people have fallen in love with it when it really hasn't been show how it will work in some very important types of games (not just mini games and fitness stuff). I like how the Kinect interacts with Dashboard, but outside of that, I don't see the real potential. At the end of the day, I need a joystick and some buttons, and I need my hands not holding one controller so I can move around. Walking (non-on rails games), person, and camera control is kinda important, and I see a bit of a flaw with omitting that. Just using a 360 pad to do these things won't really work very well as it's meant for both hands at the same time.

To be honest, it just reminds me of what made the Wii lose it's touch.. 90% support for non-gamers. What really strikes me as odd, and this is a very important point... people like me are consistent in their thinking, but what I don't get is how people who hated the Wii all of a sudden love the Kinect that has the exact type of games that they used to hate, just because it's on 360. At least with the Move it seems more centered around mainstream games.

Anywho, just some thoughts. I think all this motion stuff is getting a bit out of hand. But hey, to quote Kevin Butler, "pew pew, pew pew pew".

I am pretty sure the IGN article isn't called: "Kinect/Natal is an epic failure. period." You can't name the thread that and then state all you did was post an article from a gaming news site and it is up to the reader to decide. You might as well append "We Report. You decide." Just because you say it doesn't make it so.

Having said that, I have said before and will say again, I look forward to an official report titled "Kinect is a failure" followed by MS removing it from the market. These gimmicks are diverting attention from where it would best be aimed and that is the development of games with good original IP. This industry is beginning to focus on nothing more than rehashes and gimmicks.

• Like 1

Kinetic is a failure because you're lazy?

I've only been here a few days, and already I've found out that you are the resident Sony Fanboy. Sony could shrinkwrap farts, and you'd be first in line to huff them up.

By the way..

http://www.cracked.com/article_18609_more-proof-video-game-industry-out-ideas-e3-2010.html

Yeah. Sony did really well. :roll:

real mature, attack me instead of the article.microsofts advertising clearly shows the entire interface being operated from a seated position.IGN clearly demonstrates that this is a lie.

i guess you missed this article, ms was a f*cking laughingstock-

http://www.cracked.com/article_18608_the-day-gaming-industry-died-impressions-from-e3-2010.html

and for the record i'm not a sony fanboy. i think 3D gaming is stupid too. its a stupid investment considering the price of the technology needed. neat idea, but nobody is gonna buy a $5k tv to play it. the r&d $ would have been better spent elsewhere. nintendo did it right.

all i did was post it here.

I checked IGN here's what they say "We don't know for certain, as we have not had the opportunity to play anything seated." I'm guessing you have is that right? LOL I don't think Move or Kinect will go over that well myself, but jeeze, why all the bashing and why is it only directed at MS? BTW...Every vid I've seen including the ones on Live dash show people standing while playing with Kinect.

Look at the topics you've started and the posts you've made and tell me with a straight face you haven't been on an anti-MS pro Sony campaign is all I'm saying.

This sums up your weeks posts:

Move is awesome, Kentic sucks.

PS3 has millions of awesome must buy game coming out. MS has none.

Sony network+ kicks ass and is worth twice what they are asking, Live screws everyone and isn't worth a penny.

The cherry on top is you claim to not be a Sony fanboy, and you blame your lame opinion on articles you've read... :lol: too much

If I send you some links to articles that paint MS in a positive light will you just stop?

• Like 3

the point is that EVERY piece of marketing for this thing shows people operating it from an obviously seated position. it is outright fraudulent advertising.

This isn't true. I went back and looked at the videos I downloaded on XBOX Live's e3 coverage, and all videos show the people STANDING when they're PLAYING the games. Microsoft needs to clearly state this is the case (and more or less has now), but so far, I've seen little evidence that the actual advertising has shown that you can control Kinect while seated.

I'm not particularly excited about Kinect, and I can honestly see both it and Sony's Move failing miserably. Add-ons historically don't sell well, and while Sony and Microsoft are probably thinking that this will latch onto the Wii waggle dominance a bit, the big difference here is that the Wii shipped with their Wiimotes from day one, it wasn't some overpriced option you had to buy into after the fact.

I can't wait for Microsoft's "get off your a$$" ad campaign though...

I guess you missed this article, ms was a f*cking laughingstock-

http://www.cracked.com/article_18608_the-day-gaming-industry-died-impressions-from-e3-2010.html

The audience at the conference reacted in exactly the same way you react when you notice the homeless guy next to you on the subway is masturbating.
  • Like 1

I love looking at that page in Firefox since the animated gifs move about 10 times faster than they're suppose to.

It kinda reminded me of that fat kid gif that's on the net boppin' up and down on a couch :P

edit-what if somebody walks by and goes "xbox off" to screw with you? having to stand just to start a movie? if you're disabled, forget about it. this is too much fail.

Well, I'd suggest kicking their ass. But you might have to stand up and get physical to do that.

Maybe they'll come out with a robotic arm peripheral to feed you cheeze puffs and ice cream while you lay on the couch. I'd pay for that.

from what I've seen of natal, (and maybe this is a lack of me paying attention), a lot of what it does, could be done with the current xbox camera without much trouble. The gameplay doesn't look that much different from previous camera capture games (on ps2 or ps3), the body tracking through natal doesn't look crisper than what a standard cam could do--so why didn't they just push their current camera harder? The old 640x480 xbox360 cam isn't going to read stuff off of paper too well, like the natal is suggested to do, but it'll sure play a 2 player rafting game, or count your pushups for you.

Another minor question is that since Microsoft has been using simple, functional, software-based voice control on their 'windows mobile' PDA's for a solid decade with pretty good success--(voice control that sounds awfully like what was demoed at e3) will the voice commands for menu items be available to anybody with a mic, or do they really need a 'natal box'?

I'll give natal a chance--I really will. I'm sure there will be huge store demos for me to try everywhere I go. I will say that I haven't been too impressed with the playstation 'eye' motion capture games this gen or last. Sony finally says motion games need buttons, having played their previous attempts, I tend agree with them when it comes to broadening the range of genres covered by motion control. It took them long enough to figure that out. Maybe the stereo vision really helps natal reduce this need--either way, I'm sure it will become very obvious when it demos in stores, because it's just not too clear to me right now what this new hardware is needed for that their current box can't do.

Edited by Reaperman

Not really, no. As with anything, it would depend on the games. If an otherwise excellent game gets released on it that just uses the Kinect features in relatively minor ways, you'd still end up needing the Kinect to play it. (Although I hope if games get shuffled through the pipeline with Kinect features grafted on as an afterthought and superficially, I hope they're smart enough to leave an "off" feature in the option menu for it.)

Not really, no. As with anything, it would depend on the games.

Well yeah but see they have listed the games that are going to be available at launch. Titles like:

Your Shape Kinect: "burn calories your way"

Kinect Sports : Soccer, Beach Volly Ball, Bowling etc...

Dance Central : The game features more than 600 move

The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout " :get customized workouts that suit you and your body size"

Kinectimals : "being able to train and play with virtual pets on the screen"

There's about a half dozen more, none of which screams out, hey buy this game so you can plop down on the couch and chill, are you getting that impression?

I'd say Kinectimals, you know playing around with an animal, but if you watch the video's you'll see in parts of the game you have to jump up.

Also that's a kids game, I have no doubt a 6 year old would have a problem getting off his butt to play with a virtual pet.

I do see your point. But I don't think you're going to see games like Halo or GOW that require Kinect to play do you? I can't imagine how many potential purchases MS would lose doing that. Based on the games and video's, Kinect to me seems very geared towards people who want to leave the couch. If that doesn't interest someone I'd just do what most folks will do....skip it.