IGNORED

Kinect/Natal is an epic failure. period.

xg4bx

Ok guys, I have a question for you all (and to divert us from this thread getting locked).

Do you think motion controllers, whatever they may be... Move type, Wii type, or Kinect type, totally replacing standard pads in the future?

Wii-type = possible.. It already has the option to flip it horizontally and use it like a traditional controller. The next step will be to figure out a new design that incorporates more buttons and the standard functions of your stick-based pads, bridging the gap between both styles (motion and traditional) even more. The solution doesn't seem so obvious to me, though.

Edited by Austin

Swipe left or right to navigate the inventory? Doesn't seem like that would be to CPU intensive and would add to the game (if you chose to) without ruining the over all control. Really though at this point it's just speculation. Maybe MS and Sony will try and replace standard controls with this thing. Just would be really surprising to me.

If you have to stand up just to navigate your inventory in a game, I think you'd be surprised at how many people would get pissed off at that if the game otherwise lets you sit comfortably.

As for the cpu intensiveness, a tiny thing like that probably wouldn't be that bad. The info I'm getting this from was for games that tried to actually interpret what the player was doing and saying. According to the programmers who were interviewed about their tech demos, yes, attempting to use Kinect in large ways ended up being quite cpu intensive.

And I did get what you were saying, I was making a comment regarding how the graphics would suffer in a Kinect game compared to what could be pulled off otherwise. Thus, if they tried to make anything like Halo making heavy use of Kinect functionality, it ain't going to look quite as pretty.

I agree that Kinect and Hardcore/traditional games are both going to be offered in the future, not that everything is suddenly going to be make required use of Kinect. But then I'm also doubtful that Kinect will hit any kind of mainstream attraction Microsoft is hoping it will.

If you have to stand up just to navigate your inventory in a game, I think you'd be surprised at how many people would get pissed off at that if the game otherwise lets you sit comfortably.

No I agree, I know the thing tracks multiple points of you body and would require you to stand up so it could do exactly that for a game where it had to pick up say, you were jumping, but I'm assuming for something simple like I described, staying seated with the camera pointed towards you would be fine. Keep in mind, no one has stated the thing absolutely can't be used at all sitting down. Just the opposite, some have said it can.

"According to Microsoft, you can play some Kinect games sitting down. It "varies" by experience."

The reports are conflicting and I'm thinking it's probably because the fact is, it depends on the game.

I'm guessing (all we can do) what the camera needs to pick up, and how much of your body it needs to read, depends on the game you're playing and the movements it needs to read to accomplish something on the screen. In this case it wouldn't have to pick up much I wouldn't think.

I agree though, unless it's something that feels natural and helps you play the game better, my guess is most gamers aren't gonna care much. Motion control just doesn't benefit some games. I could see it being kinda cool navigating say Netflix with a wave of the hand, again assuming it could do a simple task like that and not require you to actually get up off your butt. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to read, though I think we need to see how Microsoft launches the thing and look at actual sales data.

One thing I've learned following analysts is that some press/people take their word as gospel, and they're often just as full of shit as the rest of us. They predict how the outcome will be but are quite often wrong.

I think this will be a failure too, but not for the reasons of the OP. It'll bomb because traditionally peripherals don't make it. And it'll bomb because it's a $150 peripheral trying to compete with a similar device that's included with the Wii. Same goes for the Sony motion control thingie.

I think this will be a failure too, but not for the reasons of the OP. It'll bomb because traditionally peripherals don't make it. And it'll bomb because it's a $150 peripheral trying to compete with a similar device that's included with the Wii. Same goes for the Sony motion control thingie.

Yeah it'll fail because anyone that REALLY wanted motion control games bought a Wii a long time ago.

Yeah it'll fail because anyone that REALLY wanted motion control games bought a Wii a long time ago.

:thumbsup:

If I thought for one minute these add-on offered much more than an HD Wii experience, I'd be more inclined to get excited, and who knows...maybe they do. Time will tell I guess. Right now I'm thinking they'll go over as well as a fart in a spacesuit. They are both expensive, and they both don't offer much as far as gaming is concerned based on what's been shown so far.

I like the way both Sony and MS waited for the world to get bored with the Wii before then releasing the exact same thing. It's a stupid, unnecessary panic move on both sides and it WILL fail.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I nailed that one. :lol:

The Kinect is still around?

Your post was better before you edited it...

In any case, I never did pick up a Kinect. Seeing that video of that guy smacking his kid to the floor sort of made me decide it was not such a good idea.

However, the Kinect was really not much of a failure. Sure, not many games came out, but it has been selling better than anyone expected, outsold the move, and has seriously helped Microsoft over the last year. The most interesting things about the Kinect were the things other people have done with them outside of 360 gaming.

Look at it this way. The OP of this thread, who trashed the Kinect and thought it was a complete faiure, now has a Kinect - and really likes it.

In any case, I never did pick up a Kinect. Seeing that video of that guy smacking his kid to the floor sort of made me decide it was not such a good idea.

However, the Kinect was really not much of a failure. Sure, not many games came out, but it has been selling better than anyone expected, outsold the move, and has seriously helped Microsoft over the last year. The most interesting things about the Kinect were the things other people have done with them outside of 360 gaming.

lmao...ive smacked my own kid a few time "bowling"

Look at it this way. The OP of this thread, who trashed the Kinect and thought it was a complete faiure, now has a Kinect - and really likes it.

I figured this was an old thread so I removed what I said. Just dont care anymore about motion control. :P

I agree with what you say its just that its still pointless for me personally. Kind of always was that way.

Just want to move on to the next console. Xbox 720 anyone?

:P

Xbox 720 anyone?

No thanks. I want the Xbox 9000.

I wonder if the media is just calling it 720 for the hell of it. Getting a little silly honestly...not that the Cafe sounds any better or the Friday the 13th part PS4.

Everytime I here it I think of that old 720 degree arcade game by Atari.

:)

. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat.

I can attest to this. I'm a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair, and even trying to navigate the menu on Kinect games isn't an easy task. Really sucks, because IMO, some of the games look like lots of fun.

If it was possible to play videogames in your head, developers would already be marketing it like crazy. But of course, I wouldn't want to subject myself to constant security updates that need to be downloaded into my head and worry about "head hackers" and a lot of other fun crap that would come with this new technology.

I liked mine for a while, but the lack of new games is killing it. It looks like Microsoft had some Kinect games added at E# this year though, some of which looked kinda cool, others are kind of "uh, I hope you don't have to use the kinect with that" I'll have to wait and see.

So far, I've gotten more out of the kinect than I had hoped for, just to bad I'm so out of shape I can't play it very long :lol: but that's not the consoles fault. Wii's better for us unhealthy people in those regards, less strenuous output required by the player.