IGNORED

Kinect/Natal is an epic failure. period.

xg4bx

real mature, attack me instead of the article.microsofts advertising clearly shows the entire interface being operated from a seated position.IGN clearly demonstrates that this is a lie.

i guess you missed this article, ms was a f*cking laughingstock-

http://www.cracked.com/article_18608_the-day-gaming-industry-died-impressions-from-e3-2010.html

and for the record i'm not a sony fanboy. i think 3D gaming is stupid too. its a stupid investment considering the price of the technology needed. neat idea, but nobody is gonna buy a $5k tv to play it. the r&d $ would have been better spent elsewhere. nintendo did it right.

I point out that you're an obvious fanboy, based on your posts. I point out that you think Kinetic is a failure due to your lack of endurance, based on your posts. That's not an attack, it's showing you how ignorant you are. Here's an attack: Don't talk about maturity until you've matured.

You say you're not a Sony Fanboy, then in other posts herald them for ripping off the Wii, going on about how sitting in your chair "shaking your potion" is what sold you on the Move. Sounds like you've given that one arm lots of exercise, so that won't be a problem.

That very article you love so much that shows MS is a laughing stock also says Sony is out of ideas. Read the bottom. I don't see you posting that anywhere. Just status updates that "Sony killed at E3".

If you're not a Sony Fanboy, prove it "for the record". Post a "3D from Sony is an Epic Fail" thread, if you think it's such a bad idea. You won't though. You'll reply about how "you don't have to prove anything blah blah", just to avoid saying anything negative about Sony, because you're a Sony Fanboy.

[i do see your point. But I don't think you're going to see games like Halo or GOW that [u]require[/u] Kinect to play do you? I can't imagine how many potential purchases MS would lose doing that. Based on the games and video's, Kinect to me seems very geared towards people who want to leave the couch. If that doesn't interest someone I'd just do what most folks will do....skip it.

I watched all three briefings, and I came away with the feeling that MS and Sony are approaching the marketing of their motion control systems in different ways.

Kinect seemed to only have a distinct line of games devoted solely to it while leaving "mainstream" games..... GoW, Halo, etc..... untouched. MS is even shipping Kinect games in purple cases to further distinguish them from the green cased "mainstream" games. (NOTE: its possible that during the briefing someone said Fable 3 *might* have motion control, but I could be wrong about that).

Sony, on the other hand, while having a line of devoted Move games, is also incorporating the motion control system into "mainstream" games by featuring Killzone 3, Socom, and Crysis 2.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I sure felt like MS was taking a different approach to motion control than Sony and leaving motion control as a system onto itself.

Mendon

Kinect seemed to only have a distinct line of games devoted solely to it while leaving "mainstream" games..... GoW, Halo, etc..... untouched.

I just think MS doesn't want to give people the wrong impression about this thing. They know it's not going to take the place of a standard control but have already stated it COULD be used in mainstream games like Fable 3 and Forza 4. I expect the list of mainstream games that you can use the thing will grow, but I don't expect it to replace the controller altogether (Thank god) For instance in Fable 3 you would use the Kinect to do the jobs around town (Chop wood maybe?) Personally I could stomach this type of optional control to a full blown replacement of my comfortable tried and true controls. Still, in the end I think it will be mostly unnecessary.

I'm thinking Sony will be taking this same approach, using the Move to add brief game play using the Move to games without forcing people to completely deal with controls they might not enjoy or at least giving the option wouldn't play with. Think about it, if they don't, they run the risk of running people away from the franchise, not to mention the loss of sales that would happen if they made a HOT games like Killzone 3, Socom, or Crysis 2, Move control only. Not all of the millions of consumers that own a PS3 are going to own a Move camera. I don't expect even an eighth of them will.

one other thing worth noting is that natal leaves projector users out. I'm not going to say that we're a significant portion of the public, but it's just one more limit placed on the 360 motion controller right out of the gate, that the ps3 and wii motion controllers don't have to deal with.

Heck, I'm guessing the ps3 motion controller would actually rather be in the dark.

Edited by Reaperman

Not really, no. As with anything, it would depend on the games.

I do see your point. But I don't think you're going to see games like Halo or GOW that require Kinect to play do you? I can't imagine how many potential purchases MS would lose doing that. Based on the games and video's, Kinect to me seems very geared towards people who want to leave the couch. If that doesn't interest someone I'd just do what most folks will do....skip it.

At launch, certainly not. My impression of the launch titles were "tech demo!" and "party game!". But that's pretty much what you should expect of the initial batches.

There's also the case that Kinect reportedly is very CPU intensive on the 360. It was intensive originally then they decided to save some money and removed some of the chips that could have helped offload some of that processing (These are things I read on Kotaku many months ago). So seeing a Halo using Kinect? Uh, only if it's a Lego Halo. :ponder:

But yeah, at present, from the games listed the only people who will probably put money down for a Natal are those who want to stand while playing their games. Hopefully developers have known about this standing requirement since the beginning so there aren't any games like I described earlier in the pipeline that are in for a bit of disappointment.

So seeing a Halo using Kinect?

I don't think you get what I am saying. I'm not getting the impression the Kinect would take the place of the standard controller for mainstream games like Halo. (And that's a smart move in my book) But even with its high CPU, do you think it would difficult to incorporate the Kinect into the game in some minor way? Say raise your hand to enable a shield, or pull up an inventory. Swipe left or right to navigate the inventory? Doesn't seem like that would be to CPU intensive and would add to the game (if you chose to) without ruining the over all control. Really though at this point it's just speculation. Maybe MS and Sony will try and replace standard controls with this thing. Just would be really surprising to me.

Not really, no. As with anything, it would depend on the games.

Well yeah but see they have listed the games that are going to be available at launch. Titles like:

Your Shape Kinect: "burn calories your way"

Kinect Sports : Soccer, Beach Volly Ball, Bowling etc...

Dance Central : The game features more than 600 move

The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout " :get customized workouts that suit you and your body size"

Kinectimals : "being able to train and play with virtual pets on the screen"

There's about a half dozen more, none of which screams out, hey buy this game so you can plop down on the couch and chill, are you getting that impression?

I'd say Kinectimals, you know playing around with an animal, but if you watch the video's you'll see in parts of the game you have to jump up.

Also that's a kids game, I have no doubt a 6 year old would have a problem getting off his butt to play with a virtual pet.

That list of games looks horrible. But I think that what MS is trying to do is to go after the casual Wii crowd while doing nothing to abandon their current base. As someone else said, the games come in different colored cases, etc. I think that in a way they are creating a new console without creating a new console.

I personally have no interest in buying Kinect, but I also don't think that it is going to affect traditional gaming on the 360.

Chris

I personally have no interest in buying Kinect, but I also don't think that it is going to affect traditional gaming on the 360.

Exactly. I feel the same way and the Move is included in my feelings.

I also feel like these "casual" gamers as you call them aren't going to bite twice.

It's obvious by software sales that there are millions and millions of Wii owners that don't care about video games, and had no intention of supporting a game system when they bought into the Wii. I know a few people like this myself.

I'm sure everyone here does.Their Wii's sit on the floor next to the TV and their Wii Fits are in the closet.

Why anyone would think these people who jumped on the bandwagon to Keep up with the Joneses would perk up because a new motion control system was being released with HD graphic is beyond me, and as for the millions of other game fans, even if Sony and MS do try and incorporate this thing into mainstream games, I don't think the masses are really going to care one way or the other, unless the control is super great (which I don't see that happening) they'll disable motion support.

I do plan on picking up the Kinect and Move when they hit the clearance bins though!

one other thing worth noting is that natal leaves projector users out. I'm not going to say that we're a significant portion of the public, but it's just one more limit placed on the 360 motion controller right out of the gate, that the ps3 and wii motion controllers don't have to deal with.

Heck, I'm guessing the ps3 motion controller would actually rather be in the dark.

I thought about that as well. And I thought, "Good. I don't have to be worried about being tempted during a momentary lapse of judgment to buy this thing." It won't work with my setup. And I will not trade my giant HD screen for the chance to stand up and "chop wood".

I agree that the casual market is not going to jump on this. Plenty of people who aren't into games won't really get the difference between the two (three counting the move) types of control and will probably view them as equals. They've just heard "you move around to control it instead of pressing buttons" and if they've already gone with the Wii, they're not going to grab Kinect or Move unless three conditions are met:

1. Huge marketing push to distinguish Kinect from other motion controlled interfaces

2. A real killer app, which used to mean final fantasy or blood in MK, but Wii fit fit the bill not long ago.

3. They already own the system. I see a lot of people buy a Wii for Wii fit alone, which I don't think is necessarily a great idea at over 300$ for one (pretty decent) game, but it happens.

Ok guys, I have a question for you all (and to divert us from this thread getting locked).

Do you think motion controllers, whatever they may be... Move type, Wii type, or Kinect type, totally replacing standard pads in the future? Now, I don't know enough of either of the new control types, but assuming that you had a Move type controller with 2 joysticks (don't know if it has 2 or not), wouldn't it be possible to play every type of game.. motion or standard?

What I'm wondering is, do you think companies will try making a controller that will be the main controller for both types of control, and we'll see an end of single pads, and a new era of one pad for each hand?

Oh and, why isn't the Kinect compatible with projectors? It doesn't have anything to do with a tv screen, so why would this matter?

because as bright as projectors have gotten, we still generally sit in a reasonably dark room when we use them so we get the best image. This causes problems with camera-based systems. The wii uses IR and the ps3-whatsit uses visible light emitted from their controller so they're not problems.

The only good way I can see for projector users to get in on it is to build a pretty large IR light source and light their room with that. (assuming natal's cameras don't filter it out)

thinking about IR lihting gives me an idea for a pretty kickass 'Eye of Judgment' low-light setup...

Edited by Reaperman

Oh and, why isn't the Kinect compatible with projectors? It doesn't have anything to do with a tv screen, so why would this matter?

because as bright as projectors have gotten, we still generally sit in a reasonably dark room when we use them so we get the best image. This causes problems with camera-based systems. The wii uses IR and the ps3-whatsit uses visible light emitted from their controller so they're not problems.

The only good way I can see for projector users to get in on it is to build a pretty large IR light source and light their room with that. (assuming natal's cameras don't filter it out)

thinking about IR lihting gives me an idea for a pretty kickass 'Eye of Judgment' low-light setup...

Hmm, I never thought of that. That's very interesting. I play most of my games at night after work, and I don't like having lights on other than the television. I wonder if this would be a problem, especially if kitect games are to judge facial expressions.

Also, something to think about is will the PS EYE need to see you as well? Or is it judging if you're crouching or not based on where the orb is on the controller, and not the pose your body is doing? I thought I heard the PS EYE makes a very simple stick figure attached to your body limbs, and mimics those along with the data it's getting from the orbs on the Move controllers. So I wonder if visibility is going to be an issue for Move as well.

Also, something to think about is will the PS EYE need to see you as well? Or is it judging if you're crouching or not based on where the orb is on the controller, and not the pose your body is doing? I thought I heard the PS EYE makes a very simple stick figure attached to your body limbs, and mimics those along with the data it's getting from the orbs on the Move controllers. So I wonder if visibility is going to be an issue for Move as well.

hmmm, if it does that (and previous ps-eye games have done similar) then it would still be a problem. I guess I'll start looking around at IR LED light bulbs then. I'd like to find something that's not in 'spotlight' form factor.

I've been needing a lighting solution for this anyway. GT5 is supposed to do face/head tracking with the eye. (PD rumored it for a year or so and double-confirmed it this e3)

Edited by Reaperman

hmmm, if it does that (and previous ps-eye games have done similar) then it would still be a problem. I guess I'll start looking around at IR LED light bulbs then. I'd like to find something that's not in 'spotlight' form factor.

I've been needing a lighting solution for this anyway. GT5 is supposed to do face/head tracking with the eye. (PD rumored it for a year or so and double-confirmed it this e3)

What functions does the face/head tracking do in a racing game? Like, look to the left or right? That wouldn't really work well, because if your character in game looks to the left or right, the main image would still be in the center of the screen... so that would be kinda weird, wouldn't it?

What functions does the face/head tracking do in a racing game? Like, look to the left or right? That wouldn't really work well, because if your character in game looks to the left or right, the main image would still be in the center of the screen... so that would be kinda weird, wouldn't it?

It controls your ingame camera. For cockpit view you look around at your interior or look around pillars that sometimes get in the way, but the big deal is that it helps you see around corners. The head tracking sensitivity is rarely a 1:1 arrangement, so a slight movement of your head really makes those blind corners go away. Spotting the apex early enough to hit it is one of my biggest racing problems, and this would (generally) let me see the whole corner at the time I enter it, just like we do in real life.

I've heard of PC games doing this, but it's a first for consoles, and I hope it goes well.

One or two of these will probably fix my wagon in terms of IR lighting.

Edited by Reaperman

It controls your ingame camera. For cockpit view you look around at your interior or look around pillars that sometimes get in the way, but the big deal is that it helps you see around corners. The head tracking sensitivity is rarely a 1:1 arrangement, so a slight movement of your head really makes those blind corners go away. Spotting the apex early enough to hit it is one of my biggest racing problems, and this would (generally) let me see the whole corner at the time I enter it, just like we do in real life.

I've heard of PC games doing this, but it's a first for consoles, and I hope it goes well.

One or two of these will probably fix my wagon in terms of IR lighting.

That would be really nice actually. If it was done so I didn't have to "look to the right or left" to the point I was looking away from the screen, I'd welcome that. That's one problem I have with racing games as well. I love to drive, and when you're taking a turn, you're looking at the end of the turn through the side window to judge how to take it. With racing games, it's very hard to judge turns properly because you can't see around the corner sometimes. Need for Speed Shift, I think tried to do this in a way by moving the camera around turns, but I didn't like the over all racing in that game to really see if it worked well by playing enough of it.

Hey, good for you man. Burn a lot more calories, at the very least.

Don't count out the lonely couch lurking gamers. Frantically moving your arm up and down for 10 to 20 minutes a few times a day has to burn a lot of calories too.

Not to mention the real sense of achievement you get at the end.

Ok guys, I have a question for you all (and to divert us from this thread getting locked).

Do you think motion controllers, whatever they may be... Move type, Wii type, or Kinect type, totally replacing standard pads in the future? Now, I don't know enough of either of the new control types, but assuming that you had a Move type controller with 2 joysticks (don't know if it has 2 or not), wouldn't it be possible to play every type of game.. motion or standard?

What I'm wondering is, do you think companies will try making a controller that will be the main controller for both types of control, and we'll see an end of single pads, and a new era of one pad for each hand?

No.

As we have seen with the wii, motion controls aren't changing the games, they are changing the gamers. Or not changing what we play but who plays them.

Nintendo had a shitty idea with it, Sony is trying for the 2nd time on one system to do it, and now MS wants a part of the gayness for whatever reason.

I have an idea. Just continue to make great games and not worry about who is playing them and quit figuring out ways to retard the whole industry.

Just because you have to stand up to stop a movie doesn't mean you must stand the whole way through. Unless you pause and get up a lot, I don't see how it's a problem. And what's more, when the movie is finished, you can just get up and say "xbox, off" and walk away. Tell me that's not convenient.

A gamer was showing his skeptical friend his new Xbox 360. He points at a device on top of his television set and proudly announces, "This is my Kinect! It makes the Xbox obey your every command!" The cynic shouts, "Xbox, my ass!"