IGNORED

The Big Bang - Ottumwa, IA 8/5-8/8

Crimefighter

Gee, why didn't I hear about this earlier???

The Big Bang is Ottumwa's Annual Video Game Festival, co-created by the Citizens of Ottumwa and the International Video Game Hall of Fame.

The title, "The Big Bang," is derived from the fact that "it all started in Ottumwa."

In the same way that the Universe began with a “Big Bang,” organized video game playing started with a similar explosion in Ottumwa, Iowa nearly thirty years ago.

As the birthplace of organized, competitive video game playing, the City of Ottumwa would like to invite you to come and celebrate Ottumwa’s unique video game legacy with a major video game festival.

The Big Bang 2010: Ottumwa’s Video Game Festival is a four-day event held concurrently with the Grand Induction Ceremonies for the International Video Game Hall of Fame & Museum (IVGHOF&M). Scheduled for August 5-8, 2010, the festival will feature contests, concerts, dealer showrooms, panel discussions, guest celebrities, costume contests, historic museum displays and movies. Plus, lots of further activities to be announced by the IVGHOF.

http://ivghof.com/the-big-bang

Gee, why didn't I hear about this earlier???

This is just personal opinion, but I would assume you haven't heard about it because the organizers have not done proper promotion. We are just over two weeks away from this event, and they still haven't posted a vendor list or anything substantial about what will be happening. Last I heard, they were still begging for televisions to use for console gaming. I can't imagine anyone with a brain booking a trip to this thing when they don't know what will be going on.

I expect that no one other than the Iowa locals show up and it is a massive failure. I think MGC is a much better choice for the Mid-westerners.

Oh, and despite their claims, it did not "all start in Ottumwa." Competitive video & pinball gaming was around in the mid-to-late 70's...long before the self-proclaimed world's most famous arcade was opened.

Edited by mstulir

However, it is the home of Twin Galaxies and Walter Day. I'm going to go - I don't think I'll regret doing it and even if attendance isn't high that just gives me more playtime.

I think it will be high. I know of quite a few gamers that are going so you'll have to let us know and post some pix!

:)

However, it is the home of Twin Galaxies and Walter Day.

OK, let me get this straight: 10 days until the event, still no list of vendors, still no complete list of events, still no list of games in the arcade, less than 50 signups for the LAN tournaments when they removed the list from the web site, no answers from the staff when questions are asked at the "Big Bang" forums, and the ticket prices were just reduced again.....yet we should just go because Walter is there?

Wow.

Doesn't it say something when some of the HOF "inductees" are skipping the "Big Bang" and attending the other event that weekend? What do those people know that you don't? Sounds to me like that show is a disorganized mess.

Uhhhh...they do have a list of events...

http://ivghof.com/schedule

Re-read my post. I said "...still no COMPLETE list of events..." Your list is far from complete.

The price reductions expire today BTW...

Past experience tells me that the price reductions with less than two weeks to go are a desperate move to fill space. Less than 50 tournament signups for 10,000 square feet of gaming tables sure sounds like a big empty hall resulting in a one-time show like GameXpo. Don't believe me? Now there is a notice on their site saying they will start canceling tournaments if they don't get more sign-ups.

As I said before, I can't imagine anyone booking a trip to this thing when they don't know what will be going on. How on earth do they not have a vendor list published? Every GOOD gaming event has this stuff lined up in advance and PUBLICIZED when the tickets go in sale so you know what you get for your money. Look in the Big Bang forums. Question upon question upon question about the show have been ignored, or answered with "we will get back to you" or "I don't know." It sounds like a colossal waste of time and money to me. Call me crazy, but I think it is foolish to show up somewhere without any facts and HOPE something might happen.

I wouldn't had been going to CGE since I'd have to fly to Vegas.

Have to fly to Vegas? So does that mean you are going to Big Bang not because it will be a good event but because it is close? I'm not trying to insult or degrade you by asking that. If you are someone who has been hit by the economy, that makes more sense to me. I'm fortunate not to have that problem & can travel to all of the good events. Besides, I'm not talking about CGE. CGE is not the same weekend as the Big Bang. I am talking about the arcade tournament in NJ...the one that is attended by the HOF inductees that are blowing off Big Bang.

I have to agree: bigbang hasn't been publicized much(mostly at twingalxies.com, and I haven't seen it posted here or DP)

again my vacation time at work has already filled (MGC,VGS and two weeks for CGE(starting today(leaving for vegas on friday))

so no way I can go to bigbang. timing is all bad on the side of bigbang.

Have to fly to Vegas? So does that mean you are going to Big Bang not because it will be a good event but because it is close? I'm not trying to insult or degrade you by asking that. If you are someone who has been hit by the economy, that makes more sense to me. I'm fortunate not to have that problem & can travel to all of the good events. Besides, I'm not talking about CGE. CGE is not the same weekend as the Big Bang. I am talking about the arcade tournament in NJ...the one that is attended by the HOF inductees that are blowing off Big Bang.

I'm afraid of flying. It has gotten worse each time I've flown.

I'm not aware of the New Jersey event...

If it turns out to be a crappy event...I'll find something else to do while I'm out there.

Besides, I'm not talking about CGE. CGE is not the same weekend as the Big Bang. I am talking about the arcade tournament in NJ...the one that is attended by the HOF inductees that are blowing off Big Bang.

Mike Stulir is talking about the Richie Knucklez Invitational which he is credited as co-organizer by Aurcade.com. I will be there as well although I will have to leave early afternoon Sunday to pick up my wife from the airport.

Ben Falls is one of the inductees that will be at Richie's - were there others? I know there are some that arguably should have been inductees that will be at Richie's.

But, I know for some that I have spoke to directly that it is strictly economical based on their locale - this is true for me as well. Also, I know what I am getting at Richie's: the camaraderie of classic gaming. I'm not sure what I will be getting in Ottumwa as it sounds like it will be diluted with modern console gaming.

I'm really looking forward to the event and Aurcade.com will be there to record all the scores as they did at Funspot with the Aurcade Tournament System.

I will be there as well although I will have to leave early afternoon Sunday to pick up my wife from the airport.

I was not aware that you were invited.

Richie said in March at the CAGDC tourney that anyone in attendance for that tourney is invited back for the event in August. Did I misunderstand?

Richie said in March at the CAGDC tourney that anyone in attendance for that tourney is invited back for the event in August. Did I misunderstand?

This is not a CAGDC event, and I do not see your name on my list. Perhaps it is an oversight.

This is not a CAGDC event, and I do not see your name on my list. Perhaps it is an oversight.

Could you check this out for sure because I will need to cancel my hotel reservations? Perhaps this was not the event he was referring to back in March and I don't want to invite myself.

Could you check this out for sure because I will need to cancel my hotel reservations? Perhaps this was not the event he was referring to back in March and I don't want to invite myself.

I just called Richie. We will make an exception. You can come.

Well, I am blowing off both Richie's, and the International Video Game Hall Of Fame. :D CGE was my main event! With CGE I was one of the better arcade gamers there! My score of 115,200 on Donkey Kong Junior was the highest on that machine the entire weekend.

Of course the reality is I am broke as a joke, and CGE is less than 200 miles away from my house. IVGHOF is 2,000 miles away, and Richie's is an insane 3,000+ miles away. So monetarily, and geographically the choice was extremely easy to make. :D

......and CGE is less than 200 miles away from my house. IVGHOF is 2,000 miles away, and Richie's is an insane 3,000+ miles away. So monetarily, and geographically the choice was extremely easy to make. :D

I really don't think you are missing much with the IVGHOF mess. It just looks like a disorganized disaster to me. I grew up 90 minutes due east of Ottumwa, and let me tell you that there is not enough money in the world to make me to go that nowhere burg.

As for Richie, you owe it to yourself to get to Richie's at some point, or up to The American Classic Arcade Museum in NH. ACAM is the largest arcade in the world.

it's not they are bashing it,it's more like there wasn't enough publicity about to plug it.

I disagree with that. Walter has posted links to quite a few articles and news videos regarding the HoF. And I just saw today several newspaper articles posted about Ben Gold and his induction.

Here's publicity for ya....

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20100803/NEWS/8030365/Ottumwa-hopes-to-make-video-game-celebration-national-event

Ottumwa wants to set its own high score.

The first fistful of quarters drops Thursday with the Big Bang, a four-day celebration of all-things video games that will culminate with the first induction of luminaries into the International Video Game Hall of Fame.

"We want to become the Cooperstown of video games," said Ottumwa Mayor Dale Uehling, referring to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.

The goal may sound lofty, but both the baseball hall of fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland sprouted from similar humble beginnings in the last century.

Organizers expect the event to draw between 3,500 and 5,000 people to a city most famous for being the hometown of fictional "M*A*S*H" company clerk Walter "Radar" O'Reilly.

A different Walter leads Ottumwa's video game effort: Walter Day, 61. This gray-bearded, native Californian, New England-educated, former oil futures trader and passionate transcendental meditation devotee stands at the center of what could be a cultural evolution for Ottumwa.

"The fact that this is happening in Iowa, and especially Ottumwa, is astounding," Day said. "We are stepping up to do something that San Jose, L.A., Seattle and Tokyo haven't. This could transform Ottumwa for the benefit of all of Iowa."

At first glance, Ottumwa seems like an odd spot for a video-game landmark. Atari was born in San Jose, Calif. Nintendo makes its American home in Seattle. Tokyo is the capital of video game technology and development.

But Ottumwa, population 25,000, is a manufacturing town. Top employers include a John Deere hay-baler plant and Cargill Meat Solutions packing plant.

Still, Ottumwa might have a more legitimate claim to becoming the video-game hall of fame than Cooperstown did to the baseball mecca.

Cooperstown rallied for the museum's placement in the village during the Great Depression, based on the erroneous assumption than Civil War Union general Abner Doubleday invented the game there.

Now, Cooperstown, population 2,000, has a tourist attraction that draws more than 350,000 people and millions of dollars to the region a year.

Ottumwa stakes its claim to the video-game flag based on nearly 30 years of history that began when Day opened the Twin Galaxies arcade on the city's Main Street in November 1981.

Shortly thereafter, a customer notched what Day believed was a record for the game Defender. He made nine phone calls to various game manufacturers and distributors trying to verify the record.

"What I found out was nobody was keeping the records," Day said. "So I volunteered. I left my name and number at every place I called and said I had a scoreboard and was going to keep the records."

Within a half hour, Day received a phone call from a man in Goodlettsville, Tenn., wanting to report a score, unofficially christening Day as scorekeeper for competitive video gaming.

The score-keeping gig, which is unpaid, lasted longer than the arcade, which closed in March 1984.

Day assembled a network of volunteer referees to help him manage and verify scores. Verification requires referees to watch a record set live in an approved venue or a video-recorded submission.

"There are these very smart, very dedicated people who love doing this," Day said. "They watch 30, 40 and 50 hours of performances to verify a record. They are very passionate about it."

At the center of it all remained Day, who has been featured in two documentaries about video games, "The King of Kong" and "Chasing Ghosts."

Day mediated disputes and organized tournaments to raise money to pay for costs of keeping records and maintaining a website. Through Thursday, the Twin Galaxies network has verified 132,209 scores since 1981.

In the competitive video gaming world, Twin Galaxies is so widely known and respected that Guinness World Records uses data from the Ottumwa organization.

Day wants to retire. He's handing Twin Galaxies over to a Florida man, who plans to turn it into a for-profit data company.

Still, Day has one game token left to play: He wants to make Ottumwa the center of the video-game universe.

Day and Ottumwa are going after a piece of one of the biggest pies in the world. PricewaterhouseCoopers estimates the video-game industry, the fastest growing segment of entertainment, will be worth $68 billion by 2012. If Ottumwa, and by extension Iowa, can take a sliver of that, it would be a massive tourism force for the Hawkeye State.

"I have a vision of 100,000 people coming to Ottumwa every year for a four- or five-day event," Day said. "I want it to be a major cultural event nationally and internationally. People will plan their vacations around coming to Ottumwa to visit this hall of fame."

History proves it can happen. The Baseball Hall of Fame inducted its first class in 1936, three years before the museum opened. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame enshrined musicians for a dozen years before a building debuted in Cleveland in 1995.

"We started small," said Tim Wiles, head researcher for the Cooperstown hall of fame and a University of Iowa graduate. "The original incorporation papers for the museum show the group planning the hall optimistically predicted hundreds of visitors a year."

The International Video Game Hall of Fame is following the same path. It has formed a nonprofit corporation and assembled a board of directors that includes the chamber of commerce, city and state officials, and two curators from an Ottumwa piercing parlor.

The committee wants to gather a working copy of every video-game title ever made - more than 100,000 titles - and in every format, from Atari to PlayStation 3. It has launched a campaign to gather all 4,500 coin-operated arcade game titles, to be the centerpiece of an interactive museum.

"We're very excited about this," Uehling said. "This could become a tremendous tourism draw for our city."

This weekend, hall leaders are inducting 29 famed video-game creators, developers, high-score champions and one game: Pac-Man, the 1980 game that became a cultural phenomenon that endures today.

If the video-game world's response is any indication, few are scoffing at Ottumwa. Pac-Man's owners, Namco-Bandi, a Japanese company that recorded 2009 revenues of $4.7 billion, is sending a team from its American offices, including the official traveling Pac-Man mascot costume.

Inductee Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Donkey Kong and Mario Bros., a figure revered in Japan, sent the organizers a letter telling them he was unable to attend but was honored by the recognition.

Billy Mitchell, a hot-sauce maker and restaurateur from Hollywood, Fla., was dubbed "video game player of the century" while attending the 1999 Tokyo Video Game Show. He believes Ottumwa is the perfect spot for a video game shrine.

"Ottumwa is absolutely the right place," Mitchell said. "It's the birthplace of competitive video gaming. The industry couldn't see the forest for the trees, but Walter (Day) in Ottumwa stood up and brought order to the chaos. He kept the records. He created a trust and reputation.

"It belongs in Ottumwa."

"Ottumwa is absolutely the right place," Mitchell said. "It's the birthplace of competitive video gaming."

Incorrect. Competitive video gaming was taking place in multiple areas around the country at least four years before Walter Day got started. I have seen photographs of such events going back as far as 1978. Walter Day has seen these same photographs that disprove the statements he & Billy make about this "birthplace" nonsense, and yet they ignore them. This is why I can't stand these guys. They just make crap up, and when you prove to them that they are wrong, they just ignore you and continue to perpetuate lies.

It takes a big man to admit when they are wrong. Guess Walter & Billy aren't big men.

it's not they are bashing it,it's more like there wasn't enough publicity about to plug it.

I disagree with that. Walter has posted links to quite a few articles and news videos regarding the HoF. And I just saw today several newspaper articles posted about Ben Gold and his induction.

There was not near enough publicity, and to suggest otherwise is foolish. Where is their advertising? Can you point me to a gaming publication, or some other recognized media outlet where the IVGHOF bought advertising to get their word out? No, you can't, because they did not do that.

Remember Walter Day's statement from his retirement announcement: "We will not be surprised if 15,000 to 50,000 people show up because we are such a well supported event."

How exactly is this guy thinking that 50,000 people (approximately the number that attend an event like PAX) will show up to Iowa without putting forth the advertising and marketing required to bring in that many people? Posting articles around the web isn't going to do it. Walter Day and and his mouth set an expectation and now they can't meet it.

Pointing out their shortcomings is not bashing. They made the comments publicly & set the expectation. I am merely pointing out that they have not lived up to them. That is not bashing, but a statement of fact.

Edited by mstulir