IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

So other than there is no place for that BASF floppy they were pretty accurate :) Oh! I want a touch tablet that big! I am pretty sure I could squeeze that bar graph on my android though :) Good find!

There are some pretty nice 7" Android tablets out there for under $150. My brother just got one to test some stuff. It has Android 2.1 on it.

There are some pretty nice 7" Android tablets out there for under $150. My brother just got one to test some stuff. It has Android 2.1 on it.

I've got a 7" "Haipad" Android tablet. Its screen is 480x800. I tried reading Byte issues on it, but scaled down, the text is too fuzzy to read a page at a time. It's fine when expanded, but there's a lot of scrolling to do (which is a real pain on half-page technical diagrams/schematics/etc in many of the articles).

I was hoping to be able to carry around a few issues with me (my tablet shipped with an 8GB MicroSD, and it supports up to 32GB), but the resolution just isn't good enough for that to be practical. Perhaps if the issues were externally downsampled and rebundled to better match the screen resolution (vs letting Acroread and/or the android font engine handle things) the situation might be better, but as is, trying to read 8.5"x11" pages scanned at 300 dpi is no good.

Just an FYI, I thought the find was rather fun, so I blogged about it. I gave credit, of course, but I stopped short of pointing directly to this forum topic for obvious bandwidth reasons...

One thing on the blog post.. the picture doesn't up-size when you click it.. You just get the same small thumbnail again.

Just an FYI, I thought the find was rather fun, so I blogged about it. I gave credit, of course, but I stopped short of pointing directly to this forum topic for obvious bandwidth reasons...

One thing on the blog post.. the picture doesn't up-size when you click it.. You just get the same small thumbnail again.

When you click through, you have to click "Original" below the image. It's a quirk of the site. I didn't want to do it on Flickr, though that would be a clearer way of doing it...

I've got a 7" "Haipad" Android tablet. Its screen is 480x800. I tried reading Byte issues on it, but scaled down, the text is too fuzzy to read a page at a time. It's fine when expanded, but there's a lot of scrolling to do (which is a real pain on half-page technical diagrams/schematics/etc in many of the articles).

I was hoping to be able to carry around a few issues with me (my tablet shipped with an 8GB MicroSD, and it supports up to 32GB), but the resolution just isn't good enough for that to be practical. Perhaps if the issues were externally downsampled and rebundled to better match the screen resolution (vs letting Acroread and/or the android font engine handle things) the situation might be better, but as is, trying to read 8.5"x11" pages scanned at 300 dpi is no good.

Ah - thanks for the update. I didn't really get to mess with the one my brother got. He brought it into work, but spent most of the day trying to get some networking issues sorted. Currently, I only have my Droid. The screen is great, but I wouldn't think about using it as a book reader. Would be good for viewing stamps though.

BYTE Vol 02-01 1977-01 Hash Tables and Interrupts - 148 Pages 90,580,072 bytes

Vol 02-01 January 1977 of BYTE Magazine... So BYTE did not really theme this issue and I could not find an overriding theme, hence the "Hash Tables and Interrupts" title. BYTE gets serious and starts using Volume numbers and coloring its index page (though just in a shade of blue). Great stuff for the hardware guy this issue.

Foreground

MAKING HASH WITH TABLES

HOW TO DRIVE A TELETYPE WITHOUT A UART

SATURATION RECORDING'S NOT THAT HARD

THE BUILT-IN LOGIC TESTER

BUILD THE "COFFEE CAN SPECIAL" EROM ERASER

SEPARATE YOUR SYNC

USING INTERRUPTS TO SPEED UP AN ELM

Background

WATTS INSIDE A POWER SUPPLY

PICK UP BASIC BY PROM BOOTSTRAPS

BLACK FRIDAY

TYPES AND USES OF DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE

SYS 8 1/2... YOUR OWN EXECUTIVE COMMANDS

COMPUTER MODELS FOR BOARD GAMES

A COMPUTER HOBBYIST CLUB SURVEY

Nucleus

In This BYTE

The Appliance Computer, Circa 1977

About the Cover

Machine Readable Printed Programs

Book Reviews

Letters

What's New?

Description: Tutorial Training Computer

Answer to Software Bug 6

Description : OSI

Classified Ads

BYTE's Bugs

BYTE's Bits

Some Candid Shots from PC 76

KilO'Byte

Clubs, Newsletters

Clubs, Newsletters Directory

Ask BYTE

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 02-01 1977-01 Hash Tables and Interrupts

Cover

post-12606-129366438008_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129366440164_thumb.jpg

I just finished up the next Issue.. Big 600+ page beast from 1982.. has an Atari 8-bit article in it as well as an interview with Chuck peddle and a long article about the making of Tron... Good one!

• Like 2

I just finished up the next Issue.. Big 600+ page beast from 1982.. has an Atari 8-bit article in it as well as an interview with Chuck peddle and a long article about the making of Tron... Good one!

Stop teasing! That sounds like a good one.

Thanks again for all these.

So... looking at the cover of the January 1977 issue..

Is that a wall paper background on the monitor? :) The outside is dirty industrial but the monitor shows a nice tranquil futuristic background.. Nice advanced red floppies and paper-tape as well.

And that keyboard.. It goes *up* the monitor.. Not very functional! :)

BYTE Vol 02-01 1977-01 Hash Tables and Interrupts - 148 Pages 90,580,072 bytes

Vol 02-01 January 1977 of BYTE Magazine... So BYTE did not really theme this issue and I could not find an overriding theme, hence the "Hash Tables and Interrupts" title. BYTE gets serious and starts using Volume numbers and coloring its index page (though just in a shade of blue). Great stuff for the hardware guy this issue.

Very nice! (I'm a hardware guy ;-)

This little scanning project you got going here should be the standard against which all others are measured.

Now, to fire up my KIM-1 and Apple ][ for an evening of retro-computing.

Maybe put on a frozen Swanson's tv dinner, and crank up some Hearts of Space.

The evening is now complete!

Can only do this when the lady is traveling on business, these are rare times indeed!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

BYTE Vol 11-06 1986-06 Computers and Music - 464 Pages 318,067,690 bytes

BYTE Issue Vol 11-06 June 1986... Computers and Music. An two-fer this week.. Compare how things changed in nine years with music.

Download it here: BYTE Vol 11-06 1986-06 Computers and Music

I just tried to download this (because of that re-scanned page), and it fails at 39% with an error that implies there's a disk error on the server. I think it needs to be re-uploaded.

BYTE Issue Vol 11-06 June 1986... Computers and Music. An two-fer this week.. Compare how things changed in nine years with music.

I just tried to download this (because of that re-scanned page), and it fails at 39% with an error that implies there's a disk error on the server. I think it needs to be re-uploaded.

I clicked the link in your response and it loaded ok - I was able to thumb through the entire mag with no problems... although... it... was... really... slow... to... download.... I don't think my hosting provider is very happy with me this month :) There must have been a temporary issue with their side but it is working now.

I clicked the link in your response and it loaded ok - I was able to thumb through the entire mag with no problems... although... it... was... really... slow... to... download.... I don't think my hosting provider is very happy with me this month :) There must have been a temporary issue with their side but it is working now.

Would it help with the bandwidth to post these to a file hosting service, or as individual torrents? Due to the high quality of the scans, you shouldn't have any trouble getting other people to seed them.

Would it help with the bandwidth to post these to a file hosting service, or as individual torrents? Due to the high quality of the scans, you shouldn't have any trouble getting other people to seed them.

there are already some mirrors posted earlier in the thread people can use.

http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/byte/

http://24.96.150.90/events/byte/index.html

http://24.96.150.75/events/byte/index.html

http://76.73.219.7/events/byte/index.html

there are already some mirrors posted earlier in the thread people can use.

http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/byte/

http://24.96.150.90/events/byte/index.html

http://24.96.150.75/events/byte/index.html

http://76.73.219.7/events/byte/index.html

It would probably be a good idea to list these in the original post. Right now it has the posting date for each issue which encourages people to use the corresponding strikequick.com link. Unless someone reads the whole thread, they won't even notice the mirrors (I didn't).

Edit: It's also easier to find an issue by going to one of the mirror sites than by looking up a particular post in this (long) thread.

Edited by robatino

HAPPY NEW YEAR ThumpNugget and everybody else !!

Just whant to close this year with a BIG THANK YOU for the great effort in scanning the BYTE issues, it's mutch appreciated !!!!, looking forward into the next Year ;)

Best Regards and a Happy New Year !!

Edited by Noid23

HAPPY NEW YEAR ThumpNugget and everybody else !!

Just want to close this year with a BIG THANK YOU for the great effort in scanning the BYTE issues, it's much appreciated !!!!, looking forward into the next Year ;)

Best Regards and a Happy New Year !!

Thanks much! Always good to get something accomplished! :)

We have had a huge pickup in visitors today... Anyone new care to tell us where you are visiting from?? :)

Yep, I remember that. It seemed to me to have been inspired by Ed Stark's desk in the original Tron.

I take it you mean Ed *Dillinger's* desk? His computer program alter-ego was named *Sark*.

I still want that desk.

It was a pretty cool desk, except for the keyboard. Sorry, iPad et al, but I don't care for the idea of typing on a touch screen image of a keyboard-- and the keyboard on Dillinger's desk was larger than life. But one good thing about "Tron" was that whenever Dillinger was typing something on that keyboard, you could tell that he really *was* typing the commands and responses that he was supposedly typing-- even if it was all for show (i.e., I doubt the desk really worked; it was undoubtedly just a prop, albeit an awesome one). In so many other movies, the characters don't even *try* to pretend to be typing whatever it is they're supposedly typing-- they just bang and flutter their fingers around all over the keyboard. Case in point: Montgomery Scott "typing" the formula for transparent aluminum in "The Voyage Home."

Michael