IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

I must pile on the heap of appreciation!!

Doest thou have the June, 1986 edition, with the Mac Plus and 520ST review? Ahhh, the memories.

Along with an expression of appreciation (what more have I?) I would like to ask about those issues which shine light on our (assumed) favorite Micro, the A8. One of the issues (already posted) contained a portion of the Chris Crawford (god bless him) series of articles on the Atari8 specialties. I will look back (humbly, and thankful) to see which issue it was. Might it be suggested to scan the antecedent parts of that series? I'm a little Atari8-centric, but the ST and Mac stuff is cool, too!

It's all cool, and you're a huge boon to the community. I swear, I've never seen anything like it, and I'm all smiles and gratitude.

yeh really, it seems like we just finish reading an issue and another automagically shows up. This is the best bathroom reading I've had in years!!

Brings back the memories. There was a time when we were out at the ice station and the TP got wet and froze. So we really did use our Byte magazines as well as others for cleaning up!

Edited by Keatah

yeh really, it seems like we just finish reading an issue and another automagically shows up. This is the best bathroom reading I've had in years!!

Brings back the memories. There was a time when we were out at the ice station and the TP got wet and froze. So we really did use our Byte magazines as well as others for cleaning up!

Gross - I'd be really afraid of a paper cut back there :)

Gross - I'd be really afraid of a paper cut back there :)

You be surprised at how many cut backs there are at a government sponsored research station!! So each magazine we had was 300+ double-sized pages. We also had computer shopper. That was the most absorbent and worked quickly. The byte mags would require a holding period while they absorbed stuff.

Besides, the byte magazine paper was pretty soft to begin with, not like a nat geo rag. Though that would be more appropriate. The nat geo probably wouldn't conform to curvature readily.

Edited by Keatah

Just again to add my appreciation for the effort. Massive thanks!

I am still mirroring the stuff @ http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/byte/

and also @ ftp://aero.exotica.org.uk/pub/media/magazines/byte/ (slower but has all magazines as individual jpg also).

Would be happy to hear from anyone who has some bandwidth and i can setup an rsync mirror for them since I am quite low on free bandwidth recently (due to another project of mine at http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ )

with the creators consent of course .. or better if he wanted to offer it himself :) cheers.

oh and let me know if i miss an issue please :)

Edited by exobuzz
  • Like 1

You be surprised at how many cut backs there are at a government sponsored research station!!

I wouldn't be surprised. Were you North or South?

North, collecting some data for ice road truckers. Then down to McMurdo Station for more logistics and photography - not related to transportation.

I just love the ridiculousness of some of these byte articles, for example, the TKIS on page 42 of Byte Vol 00-05 1976-01 Build a light pen.pdf

Can you imagine the tediousness of setting up and maintaining that sort of system for just a basic family?? The amount of data entry is not much, but the tediousness of having to update it would be a real killer!!

what year did byte run to??

1998. I know exactly where I was when I found out. I had just checked into a hotel room in Atlanta. I was there for E3, expecting to cover the cost of the trip by writing up some observations for Byte. The Sega Dreamcast, using WinCE to support the DirectX APIs for easy porting from PC games, was my intended main focus. I went to check my email via dialup to my then Netcom account and one of the messages was from Jerry Pournelle to those of us in his advisory group. At that moment I found myself on an unpaid vacation.

Needless to say, I was pissed.

Byte was actually doing well, circulation wise. The problem was that McGraw-Hills sales force had no clue how to pitch it when it came to advertising sales in a world where personal computers had become commoditized so far as the general public was concerned.

Byte was actually doing well, circulation wise. The problem was that McGraw-Hills sales force had no clue how to pitch it when it came to advertising sales in a world where personal computers had become commoditized so far as the general public was concerned.

At first, all I was gonna say was just change the style of advertising.. But that wouldn't work, you have all these wonderful technical articles that the everyday general public would not be interested in.

I couldn't imagine a rag like byte surviving today. The ipod/ipone/ipad has dumbed-down everybody so much its pathetic. I saw what appeared to be a little kid of about 10 playing with herself at the grocery store, upon closer inspection this kid was fingering her iphone back and forth at top speed to simulate unrolling some toilet paper! It had a graphic of a roll of tp unwinding and a score and everything!! Annoying sound effects too! We practically died laughing at the sight of this nervous schism. And the kid was so focused on beating her score it was insane. The whole supermarket could have been torn down and she wouldn't have moved. She was drooling stupid and her mom had to wipe up the by now slippery touchscreen several times while just blindly repeating "stop that willyou come-on now STOP THAT!!!"

http://www.ismashphone.com/2010/01/unroll-it-idrag-paper-free.html

We're mobilizing and bringing-into-action a high-tech pocket computer with more power than all of Nasa in the 60's, AND a multi-billion dollar communications network so some kid be made more brain dead than she already is ? ? And it is so cool because you can share your high-scores with your facebook buddies and tell the world all about it on twitter! Yeh, that's why quality magazines like byte wouldn't cut it today.

Edited by Keatah

Any chance you have the January '83 issue in the queue? They've got an article on the Heathkit Hero robot I'd love to see...

Unfortunately I do not have that issue yet.. If someone out there has it and would like to cough it up.. :)

The next two issues are done, I just have to get them uploaded.. Should be up later tonight: September 1977 and June 1986 (both computer music issues). I'll do a few issues with the A8 next.. I think the Chris Crawford articles ran for about a year.

Any chance you have the January '83 issue in the queue?

Unfortunately I do not have that issue yet.. If someone out there has it and would like to cough it up.. :)

I can check my boxes later this week. That's new enough I might have it on paper and I would be happy to donate it to the cause.

BYTE Vol 02-09 1977-09 Music and Computers - 228 Pages 143,137,577 bytes

BYTE Issue Vol 02-09 September 1977... Music and Computers. An early BYTE covering Music..

Foreground

SCORTOS: IMPLEMENTATION OF A MUSIC LANGUAGE

CONTROL THE WORLD! (OR AT LEAST A FEW ANALOG POINTS)

TECHNIQUES FOR COMPUTER PERFORMANCES OF MUSIC

TUNE IN WITH SOME CHIPS

AN APL INTERPRETER FOR MICROCOMPUTERS, Part 2

Background

A NEW DRESS FOR KIM

EXPANDING THE TINY ASSEMBLER

ONE-SIDED VIEW OF WIRE WRAP SOCKETS

THE NOVAL 760

NOTES ON INTERFACING PLAYER PIANOS

NOTES ON ANATOMY: THE PIANO'S REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM

WALSH FUNCTIONS: A DIGITAL FOURIER SERIES

Nucleus

In this BYTE

Reflections on Entry into Our Third Year

Letters

Alphanumeric Music

Review: Heuristics Speech Lab

Technical Forum:

Personal Computer Network

Adding New Transcendentals to Limited BASICs

On Finite State Machines and Their Uses

Comments on Floating Point Representation

Download it here: BYTE Vol 02-09 1977-09 Music and Computers

Cover

post-12606-129194825677_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129194827355_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

BYTE Vol 11-06 1986-06 Computers and Music - 464 Pages 318,067,690 bytes

BYTE Issue Vol 11-06 June 1986... Computers and Music. An two-fer this week.. Compare how things changed in nine years with music.

FEATURES

INTRODUCTION

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: THE MACINTOSH

PROGRAMMING PROJECT: A SIMPLE FILE-INDEXING SCHEME

ClARCIA'S CIRCUIT CELLAR: ADDING SCSI TO THE SBI80 COMPUTER, PART 2: Bus PHASES

SORTING PRoDOS DIRECTORIES

DECODING MACPAINT ON THE IBM PC

PROGRAMMING INSIGHT: HILBERT CURVES MADE SIMPLE

THEME: COMPUTERS AND MUSIC

THE CHALLENGE OF MUSIC SOFTWARE

DIGITAL MUSIC SYNTHESIS

DIGITAL SAMPLING ON THE APPLE MACINTOSH

MUSICAL FRACTALS

A MIDI PROJECT

MIDI PROGRAMMING

REVIEWS

REVIEWER'S NOTEBOO

THE ATARI 520ST

COMPA~ DESKPRO 286

TELE-286

MIX C.

FOUR MIDI INTERFACES

CONCERTWARE+ AND SONGPAINTER

THE KURZWEIL 250 DIGITAL SYNTHESIZER

REVIEW FEEDBACK

KERNEL

COMPUTING AT CHAOS MANOR: COLOR AND CP/M by lerry Pournelle

BYTE U.K.: MODEM MYSTERIES REVEALED

APPLICATIONS ONLY: UPGRADE FEVER

BYTE JAPAN: NEW TOOLS, NEW CHALLENGES

ACCORDING TO WEBSTER: STORAGE FOR THE MASSES

BEST OF BIX

AMIGA

ATARI ST

IBM PC AND COMPATIBLES

MACINTOSH

Download it here: BYTE Vol 11-06 1986-06 Computers and Music

Cover

post-12606-129194867641_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-12919487047_thumb.jpg post-12606-129194872631_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm continuing to enjoy these; my iPad is getting nicely stocked now. I'll be 8 hours on the train on Wednesday so I'll be grateful of all the reading material :). Thanks again for the scan stream :).

Speaking of dumb stuff on iDevices, some of us are using the awesome power and graphical majesty of these incredible machines to... er...

mino1.jpg

tanks1.jpg

:D

• Like 1