IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

BYTE Vol 05-03 1980-03 Computers in the Laboratory - 294 Pages - 200,433,470 bytes bytes

BYTE Volume 05-03 from March 1980... Another one of my "not favorite" issues but I am sure others will think it is great. Steve Ciarcia has a great article about transitioning from 8 to 16 bit computing. The Rest of the foreground articles: Electron behavior, Solving problems involving Variable terrain, Power-line protection circuit, Landing Module simulator, Dirt-cheap bootstrapping, Hydrocarbon molecule constructor, and a 3D tic-tac-toe.. No heavy reading here :)

In the Background we have: An in-depth look at the HP-85 Computer, TRS-80 Evaluation by program timing, Electronic Planimetry, Op codes for the 8080, 8085, and Z80 processors, and an article about finding errors in your code more easily.

I thought the BYTE News was interesting this month: France moving to put terminals in every home, IBM moving away from EBCDIC, APPLE, Atari, and Tandy team up against the FCC, Rumors about a color TRS-80 possibly to be called the TRS-90, Burroughs to introduce a 6 megabyte disk drive, Texas Instruments and Atari facing shortages of chips are delaying computer deliveries, A market-research firm predicts that there will be data-storage advances (somebody was payed to predict this? HAHA), Texas instruments working on Speech-Synthesis, and a lot more :)

Download it here: BYTE Vol 05-03 1980-03 Computers in the Laboratory

Cover

post-12606-128653921595_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128653923294_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128653925113_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Quick update: After getting a bump up to 35 gig of transfers in one day I did some searching to see who was the original tweeter that caused the spike in bandwidth. Turned out to be Jeff Minter... That is so cool :)

My brother just released an Atari 8-bit emulator for the android OS called "droid800" (it is free - download it and give him some props in the android store please! He also has a 2600 emulator for the android) I am testing it today on my Galaxy S phone and I think I will be using a pirated copy of Attack of the mutant Camels Jeff! :)

Anyway! I have acquired Issue #5 so expect that in the not to distant future... Also I will once again be going to Haiti/Dominican Republic so I am trying to get ahead a couple of issues but there might be a two week hiatus in November.

Quick update: After getting a bump up to 35 gig of transfers in one day I did some searching to see who was the original tweeter that caused the spike in bandwidth. Turned out to be Jeff Minter... That is so cool :)

My brother just released an Atari 8-bit emulator for the android OS called "droid800" (it is free - download it and give him some props in the android store please! He also has a 2600 emulator for the android) I am testing it today on my Galaxy S phone and I think I will be using a pirated copy of Attack of the mutant Camels Jeff! :)

Anyway! I have acquired Issue #5 so expect that in the not to distant future... Also I will once again be going to Haiti/Dominican Republic so I am trying to get ahead a couple of issues but there might be a two week hiatus in November.

Cool about your brother's emulator... I've been waiting for this (and a C64 and Apple //e emu). Unfortunately, it is really only for playing games. Is he planning on adding keyboard support soon?

Cool about your brother's emulator... I've been waiting for this (and a C64 and Apple //e emu). Unfortunately, it is really only for playing games. Is he planning on adding keyboard support soon?

I do not know.. I will ask him about it. When I was over at his house he was working on a 5200 emulator and was not happy with how the controls were working and grumbled about making an XEGS emulator instead. My guess would be that he would since he mentioned he has some changes to make.

I started my subscription in mid-1980, and it's always fun to see issues from before then.

It would be interesting to see that lunar lander thing on p130 ported to the Vectrex. The code is already for 6800, so it would mostly need I/O changes.

The "keypad" on p147 looks pretty cool.

On p174 they misspell Woz's name.

A fellow collector named Jerry Basham was in the Navy with me. When he got out he moved back to Michigan and unfortunately was killed in an auto accident a year later. I went to visit his family and essentially they gave me his video game collection. I received quite a few Byte magazines and instead of sitting in a closet I'm sure Jerry would rather they are shared to a community that would apprecaite them. Following is a list of what I have and if you can use them, let me know an address to send them to and I'll post them out to you.

Al

Issue #2 Oct 75

Issue #3 Nov 75

Issue #4 Dec 75

Issue #5 Jan 76

Issue #6 Feb 76

Issue #7 Mar 76

Issue #8 Apr 76

Issue #9 May 76

Issue #10 Jun 76

Issue #11 Jul 76

Issue #12 Aug 76

Issue #13 Sep 76

Issue #14 Oct 76

Issue #15 Nov 76

Issue #16 Dec 76

Vol 2 #1 Jan 77

Vol 2 #2 Feb 77

Vol 2 #3 Mar 77

Vol 2 #4 Apr 77

Vol 2 #5 May 77

Vol 2 #6 Jun 77

Vol 2 #7 Jul 77

Vol 2 #8 Aug 77

Vol 2 #11 Nov 77

Vol 2 #12 Dec 77

Vol 3 #1 Jan 78

Vol 3 #3 Mar 78

Vol 3 #5 May 78

Vol 3 #7 Jul 78

Vol 3 #9 Sep 78

Vol 3 #10 Oct 78

Vol 3 #12 Dec 78

Vol 4 #1 Jan 79

Vol 4 #2 Feb 79

Vol 4 #3 Mar 79

Vol 4 #4 Apr 79

Vol 4 #5 May 79

Vol 4 #6 Jun 79

Vol 4 #7 Jul 79

Vol 4 #8 Aug 79

Vol 4 #9 Sep 79

Vol 9 #9 Fall 84

Vol 10 #11 Fall 85

• Like 3

BYTE Vol 00-16 1976-12 Machine Readable Print - 148 Pages - 86,543,015 bytes

BYTE number 16 from December 1976... Love the Cover on this one! So evidently someone has a crazy Idea to use computer to read bar code labels and also printed software. Some great articles: A cybernetic crayon (an etch-a-sketch interface), Systems programming and the SR-52, Stretching the 6800 clock, compressing strings, signal processing for optical bar code scanning, an in depth look at the AC-30 computer, and a Universal Turing machine.

In the Background we have: Samples of machine readable printed software, Software for reading bar codes, An in-depth look ant the processor technology VDM-1, Do-it-yourself weather predictions, and building a cassette interface for the AC-30.

Take a peak at the article on the state of the art in disk technology on page 86... and a look at the first west coast computer faire on page 95...

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-16 1976-12 Machine Readable Print

Cover

post-12606-12870979299_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128709795984_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128709797822_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah that was me - sorry for the bump in your bandwidth. I love reading old BYTEs and ever since I got my iPad I've been looking for some BYTE PDFs to go on it (to go with the complete run of COMPUTE! that's already on there) and I'd periodically do a google for some, coming up empty until that night I discovered this thread on here. I was all "squee! BYTES!" to my twitter feed before I noticed your comment in thread about not spreading the word too far. Sorry for that, and much thanks for this excellent stream of scans. Absolutely perfect 'pad fodder and I'm very much enjoying reading through the issues. Great work and much appreciated }:-).

I hope AMC went ok on your Galaxy S! }:-D

• Like 1

Yeah that was me - sorry for the bump in your bandwidth. I love reading old BYTEs and ever since I got my iPad I've been looking for some BYTE PDFs to go on it (to go with the complete run of COMPUTE! that's already on there) and I'd periodically do a google for some, coming up empty until that night I discovered this thread on here. I was all "squee! BYTES!" to my twitter feed before I noticed your comment in thread about not spreading the word too far. Sorry for that, and much thanks for this excellent stream of scans. Absolutely perfect 'pad fodder and I'm very much enjoying reading through the issues. Great work and much appreciated }:-).

You're mentioning a complete run of Compute, do you no if that's available somewhere online?

Hey no problem... nice to have a celebrity in our midst :) ...and AMC had some problems running on the emulator (when I told my brother about the post he said "Attack of the mutant camels? That's like the only one I have tested that does not work!" so anyway he is working on it.

You're mentioning a complete run of Compute, do you no if that's available somewhere online?

The guy that did the scans for Compute! mostly does Commodore mags... Though he has done a host of others such as Family Computing, Enter, Blip!, Computer Language, Input, etc.. You can find them and links to current torrents here: http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/magazines.htm

The guy that did the scans for Compute! mostly does Commodore mags... Though he has done a host of others such as Family Computing, Enter, Blip!, Computer Language, Input, etc.. You can find them and links to current torrents here: http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/magazines.htm

Thanks! Nice collection .....

BYTE Vol 07-06 1982-06 interactive Videodiscs - 564 Pages - 372,919,524 bytes

BYTE Volume 07-06 from June 1982... This one is a big issue with awesome stuff inside! Videodiscs stuff galore including one from Steve Ciarcia on building your own interface. An article on standardizing BASIC, part 5 of an input/output primer (this one is on character codes), an I/O board for the color computer, Part 10 of the Atari tutorial from Chris Crawford, migrating to CP/M-80 and MS-DOS, an Apple telecommunications article, and an omni navigation system. Whew!

There are tons of reviews in this one... Including may games in the BYTE Arcade, The Osborne 1, App-L-ISP, NEWDOS/80 Version 2.0 and many others.

I noticed a picture of the bit-3 80 column board for the Atari 800 in the Editorial - IT was covering the west coast computer faire.

My scanner was having some issues this week and I am very short on time right now so there are more scan streaks than I like.. Next one should be better.

Download it here: BYTE Vol 07-06 1982-02 Interactive Videodiscs

Cover

post-12606-128785685766_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128785688911_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128785690639_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I remember Family Computing - looks like I will be firing up the VM again :)

BYTE Vol 00-04 1975-12 Assembling an Altair - 116 Pages - 68,241,500 bytes

BYTE #4 from December 1975... The last one from 1975, that year is all scanned! This is a very interesting issue especially if you like hardware stories and electronic diagrams. The main articles include: the Powerless IC test clip, LIFE line 3, Building a 6800, Getting you computer to tell time, and notes on prototype construction.

Oh yes there is more! How about an in depth look at Logic Probes, or a 10 page article on "What is a character?", and Flip Flops exposed! There is an expose of something called "Read only memory" technology, a review of the HP-65, and assembling an Altair 8800.

Two unmentioned articles I found good reading: The editorial (four pages) is titled "What this country needs is a good 8-bit High level language" and Page 92 in "BYTE's Bits" has a fun article entitled "Welcome, IBM, to personal computing". Little did they know a few years later... :)

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-04 1975-12 Assembling an Altair

Cover

post-12606-128853788495_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128853789767_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

BYTE Vol 00-04 1975-12 Assembling an Altair - 116 Pages - 68,241,500 bytes

BYTE #4 from December 1975... The last one from 1975, that year is all scanned! This is a very interesting issue especially if you like hardware stories and electronic diagrams. The main articles include: the Powerless IC test clip, LIFE line 3, Building a 6800, Getting you computer to tell time, and notes on prototype construction.

Oh yes there is more! How about an in depth look at Logic Probes, or a 10 page article on "What is a character?", and Flip Flops exposed! There is an expose of something called "Read only memory" technology, a review of the HP-65, and assembling an Altair 8800.

Two unmentioned articles I found good reading: The editorial (four pages) is titled "What this country needs is a good 8-bit High level language" and Page 92 in "BYTE's Bits" has a fun article entitled "Welcome, IBM, to personal computing". Little did they know a few years later... :)

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-04 1975-12 Assembling an Altair

Cover

post-12606-128853788495_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128853789767_thumb.jpg

Awesome... I was hoping this one would get scanned soon (just finished reading Hackers to my girlfriend--it helps her sleep lol) so I've been scrounging around for Altair info!

Edited by LoTonah