IGNORED

Donkey Kong 3?

atari2600land

I think it'd be cool if you could add an option to use paddle controllers somehow. I see paddle controllers as a big advantage the 2600 has over newer systems, along with homebrew, so combining the two always is great. If you find a way to do this, it could be set up like the paddle moves left and right, fire fires, and a joystick plugged into player 1 port moves up and down, or possibly the other paddle.

I doubt this is possible, in Batari Basic anyway, because you can't combine the readpaddle and multisprites kernels. I can dream, though!

I'm not sure if Batari has this feature. I think after the trees are done rendering, the foreground color should change to blue. This should match up with the arcade version quite nicely.

I read this post yesterday, and had thought about this post. I'm not an expert in assembly. I think in assembly, it might look like this.

register y count scanline

cpy #96; compare Y with decimal 96(or what scanline # is after the tree.

ldx $86; load hexadecimal value to register x, I think this blue would go well.

stx COLUBK ; write x to the write-only register Color Background to change the color to blue, there on out.

I'm not sure if Batari has this feature. I think after the trees are done rendering, the foreground color should change to blue. This should match up with the arcade version quite nicely.

I read this post yesterday, and had thought about this post. I'm not an expert in assembly. I think in assembly, it might look like this.

register y count scanline

cpy #96; compare Y with decimal 96(or what scanline # is after the tree.

ldx $86; load hexadecimal value to register x, I think this blue would go well.

stx COLUBK ; write x to the write-only register Color Background to change the color to blue, there on out.

You're close. You need to include the # (number sign) in the ldx $86, or else it will load from register $86 instead. so:

ldx #$86

Will load the hexadecimal value $86, and

ldx $86

Loads the value in register $86. It is a big difference indeed! Next you are correct in using a compare instruction (CPY), and now you just have to add a choice after it. A branch is what is needed. If you number of scanlines is counting down as it reaches the bottom, then you'll want to color line 96 to 0. To do that use a BCS instruction in your code like this:

cpy #97               ; 96 scanlines +1 !!
    bcs .skipColorChange  ; BCS is taken when the compared value is greater than or equal to the accumulator,
    ldx #$86              ; so at line 96 (and downward0, the branch is no longer taken,
    stx COLUBK            ; and the background color is changed...
.skipColorChange: 

I think it'd be cool if you could add an option to use paddle controllers somehow. I see paddle controllers as a big advantage the 2600 has over newer systems, along with homebrew, so combining the two always is great. If you find a way to do this, it could be set up like the paddle moves left and right, fire fires, and a joystick plugged into player 1 port moves up and down, or possibly the other paddle.

I doubt this is possible, in Batari Basic anyway, because you can't combine the readpaddle and multisprites kernels. I can dream, though!

Paddle controllers for Donkey Kong 3? :thumbsdown:

Hi Chris

No,please keep the old control.DK is not a paddle game.

greetings Walter icon_smile.gif

That program was just a little joke I threw together because Tempest said the word "Donkanoid."

Sorry I haven't been working on this. I really should program the second level in because this topic became active again.

I had to move DK back to player0 because shots were going through him. I wonder if I should continue. Is there too much flickering? Anyway, I added a second level, which you can access after beating the first (shoot DK until he goes almost off the screen. Then the bugs will disappear and the game will pause for a second.) I also made it so if you shoot a bee while he's carrying a flower, the flower drops instead of magically appearing at the bottom.

dk3_v6.bas.bin

dk3_v6.bas

Continued. Added SFX, collision detection (death), and bonuses for finishing a level with plants. You get a bonus of 10 points per plant. Also, shooting a bee is worth one point. There are some bugs (besides the bees icon_wink.gif ), when you die or complete a level, the bottom part of the screen goes wacko. Is there any way to fix this?

dk3_v7.bas

dk3_v7.bas.bin

I haven't looked at your code, but would it be possible to have the bees alternate between player1 and player 0? Because DK stays at the top, and stanley is always at the bottom, if, halfway through, the bees switched to player0 they wouldn't flicker when in line with Stanley.

Or am I just a complete idiot for thinking that?