IGNORED

Cleaning out the Attic...

bob1200xl

It'd be interesting to see someone fit the XF551 controller board in there with a 130XE motherboard, and run the 3.5" drive in the stock location (of a 1040ST) and thus create a 520XEfm or 1040XEfm. ha, I'd love to see one of those working. As I have no skills, I'll have to wait until you gurus create it.

The black box "case" that bob puff offered was total crap. Its made out of shrink-formed plastic.. very flimsey and had a cheap-assed look/feel to it.. You are a smart man for not wasting $40.00 on it.

You know what is just the rigth size to house a black box? A 1027 printer case. Ive got a couple of those cases laying around. One day maybe I'll fab up a really trick looking "XL styled" Black box case, with all 4 switches on silver console-key style push-buttons, etc..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

The ST keyboards suffers from the same problems as the XE keyboards, Best Electronics offers both "TT" Touch(Improved High Grade Replacement Internal Silicone contacts) and MEGA Touch(keyboard spring) upgrades.

Didn't know those existed for ST. It could be worth a try once I decide to continue with it.

Anyone here actually used this upgrade?

It'd be interesting to see someone fit the XF551 controller board in there with a 130XE motherboard, and run the 3.5" drive in the stock location (of a 1040ST)

When removing all power components from the XF PCB I think it can be made to fit. It may be it'll overlap the XE PCB a bit, but still possible.

The board itself is such a POS and you would want the SIO removed - better to just make a new board and populate it with the major parts from the old one.

Bob

The ST keyboards suffers from the same problems as the XE keyboards, Best Electronics offers both "TT" Touch(Improved High Grade Replacement Internal Silicone contacts) and MEGA Touch(keyboard spring) upgrades.

Didn't know those existed for ST. It could be worth a try once I decide to continue with it.

Anyone here actually used this upgrade?

It'd be interesting to see someone fit the XF551 controller board in there with a 130XE motherboard, and run the 3.5" drive in the stock location (of a 1040ST)

When removing all power components from the XF PCB I think it can be made to fit. It may be it'll overlap the XE PCB a bit, but still possible.

The black box "case" that bob puff offered was total crap. Its made out of shrink-formed plastic.. very flimsey and had a cheap-assed look/feel to it.. You are a smart man for not wasting $40.00 on it.

Back then I thought it was expensive and also very ugly. Today... no, I haven't changed my mind :-)

You know what is just the rigth size to house a black box? A 1027 printer case.

If the size is right it may be a good choice. I only have the 1029 (I think) and that one is not usable for this.

The board itself is such a POS and you would want the SIO removed - better to just make a new board and populate it with the major parts from the old one.

That would be even better. One of the things I planned to do too, rebuilding an XF551 PCB to a size that will fit into an SF354.

Has this been done already? Seems so obvious.

You know what is just the rigth size to house a black box? A 1027 printer case. Ive got a couple of those cases laying around. One day maybe I'll fab up a really trick looking "XL styled" Black box case, with all 4 switches on silver console-key style push-buttons, etc..

Yea, that would realy match, I never thought of that.. my old 1027 which has been dead for years might get a new life.

Yes, Atari did it. Called it the XF351.

Bob

That would be even better. One of the things I planned to do too, rebuilding an XF551 PCB to a size that will fit into an SF354.

Make one in XL-style, too. heh heh.

Yes, Atari did it. Called it the XF351.

Wow... I hadn't heard of the XF351 until now. I just Googled it and I want one... :)

Seriously, though, a suitable interface board for an SF would be great. Saves me the trouble of looking for a mech-less XF to put a 3.5" mech into.

Just got back from the post office which eventually found my lost-for-9-days 1200xl.

Bob, you rock. Double boxing saved this one. I can't recommend these highly enough. Here's a really crappy photo of it from my phone :)

Looking forward to plugging this in and firing up some games now :)

Thanks again!

post-11520-0-36839500-1300490464_thumb.jpg

Edited by CyranoJ

Finally spent some time with my new 1200XL; I followed Bob's excellent directions on how to repair the keyboard, and it now works flawlessly. One thing to note; apparently they changed the formulation of the Circuit Writer conductive pen; the ink is now light brown. I was expecting silver like in the photo. I even went so far as to wipe the contacts clean and shake the mess out of the pen to make sure it was mixed well and did it again. Still brown, however it works great, so I guess that's what it's supposed to look like. Played some Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on that lovely keyboard and had a goofy grin the whole time...

Next up: SIO fix and simple video tweak!

I can't thank you enough Bob!

That looks great. While I'm the last man on the totem pole (pessimism prevailed early on, and I was thinking Bob had 5 units to disperse), if Divine Province was to reign supreme and I actually got one this far down the list - I'm debating whether or not I'd want it absolutely stock (as I prefer most hardware in appearance) or if Bob should sign it, like Woz did some of those Apples, and Jay Miner and his dog did some of those Amigas! I'd be happy either way!! LOL What kinds of pets does Bob have, and are their pawprints bigger than 1200XL case?

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 1

You know what is just the right size to house a black box? A 1027 printer case. Ive got a couple of those cases laying around. One day maybe I'll fab up a really trick looking "XL styled" Black box case, with all 4 switches on silver console-key style push-buttons, etc..

I never thought of that before that sounds really nice. With all the non-working 1027s out there it would be a nice recycling project. How much room would be left between the two?

That looks great. While I'm the last man on the totem pole (pessimism prevailed early on, and I was thinking Bob had 5 units to disperse), if Divine Province was to reign supreme and I actually got one this far down the list - I'm debating whether or not I'd want it absolutely stock (as I prefer most hardware in appearance) or if Bob should sign it, like Woz did some of those Apples, and Jay Miner and his dog did some of those Amigas! I'd be happy either way!! LOL What kinds of pets does Bob have, and are their pawprints bigger than 1200XL case?

I am annoyed that I didn't ask bob to sign my case, I ment too, but forgot at the last minute

My 'active list is empty - time for more offers...

Three of you did not respond to my last offer and I'm wondering if you are still interested?

Zzalg_Repus

Michael_Rose

_The Doctor__

Anyone know where these folks may be?

Bob

I'm reducing my storage capacity and have a whole bunch of monitors and printers. Mostly mono monitors, Epson FX printers, some DeskJets, a few HP laser printers (III & IIID, 4MV - that kind of stuff) (an HP 7475 plotter?)

I also seem to have more 1050s, 800s, and 1200XLs than I am allowed under the Geneva Convention.

The monitors and printers will go to e-waste. The 8-bit stuff will get stored, although I think it would be best if some of it, at least, found a home where it might be used by someone.

Bob

Finally spent some time with my new 1200XL; I followed Bob's excellent directions on how to repair the keyboard, and it now works flawlessly. One thing to note; apparently they changed the formulation of the Circuit Writer conductive pen; the ink is now light brown. I was expecting silver like in the photo. I even went so far as to wipe the contacts clean and shake the mess out of the pen to make sure it was mixed well and did it again. Still brown, however it works great, so I guess that's what it's supposed to look like. Played some Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on that lovely keyboard and had a goofy grin the whole time...

Next up: SIO fix and simple video tweak!

I can't thank you enough Bob!

I forget where the keyboard fix instructions are. anyone got a link?

PM sent.

Three of you did not respond to my last offer and I'm wondering if you are still interested?

Zzalg_Repus

Michael_Rose

_The Doctor__

Bob

I'm reducing my storage capacity and have a whole bunch of monitors and printers. Mostly mono monitors, Epson FX printers, some DeskJets, a few HP laser printers (III & IIID, 4MV - that kind of stuff) (an HP 7475 plotter?)

I also seem to have more 1050s, 800s, and 1200XLs than I am allowed under the Geneva Convention.

The monitors and printers will go to e-waste. The 8-bit stuff will get stored, although I think it would be best if some of it, at least, found a home where it might be used by someone.

Bob

Uh-oh...

You sit on the 'List' until I offer you a 1200XL, when you move to 'Active', where your requests get handled and the system gets shipped. The 'Active' queue was depleted, not the 'List'. When I get to your name on the 'List', I'll send you an offer and you tell me what and how you want...

This is the offer:

You have expressed an interest in a 1200XL. I want to limit the first distribution to only those who do not have a 1200XL, so please let me know if you do not qualify. Don't give up, though, some 1200XLs may be available to all.

Well, I have one for you, but I need to know what options you prefer.

If you come pick one up, it's free! The quality varies and all of them have bad keyboards, but they will all boot up OK.

If you want me to get a box, packaging and mail it to you, I'm going to charge you $10, plus whatever postage is.

OK?

If you want me to fix your keyboard, it will cost you $20. (almost all the k/b are bad, mostly fixable...)

If you want me to fix R63 and tweak the video a little, (very little) it will cost you $10 more. (shields go away, if there happens to be any)

If you want me to put a dual OS in it that can be selected by the CHAN switch, you supply the OS files and I'll supply the parts and installation for $30 more. (shields go away here, too, and I'll do the video and R63 for free)

Anything else you would like, (512K SRAM memory, Svideo, etc.) is $20 per hour plus parts.

I really don't want to spend a lot of time doing hardware upgrades, but I do understand that some of you are dangerous with a soldering iron in your hand... And, the whole objective is to get some 1200XLs out to Atari folks that they can use.

Let me add that the cosmetic condition on most is poor, although I won't offer any really ugly machines - just discoloration, for the most part. I hesitate to offer 'upgrades' since it is so subjective, but new, white plastic is available for $20. Note that this will mean that you will not have a s/n - these covers are brand-new.

Please - you must explicitly choose the options. ("I want the $10 shipping, $20 cosmetic upgrade, $20 keyboard and $10 video fix") Don't make me guess!

So, let me know what options you prefer and send me your name and address. (it makes it much easier for me to keep things straight if you put all that in a single PM, please) I'll send your 1200XL out USPS, Priority. Payments to me may be made via PayPal to:bob1200XL@att.net or you can just send cash/check in the mail after you receive your system.

Bob Woolley

1161 Bay St.

Alameda, CA 94501

510+865-1672

Bob

PM sent.

Zzalg_Repus

Michael_Rose

_The Doctor__

Bob

Bob

Uh-oh...

You sit on the 'List' until I offer you a 1200XL, when you move to 'Active', where your requests get handled and the system gets shipped. The 'Active' queue was depleted, not the 'List'. When I get to your name on the 'List', I'll send you an offer and you tell me what and how you want...

This is the offer:

You have expressed an interest in a 1200XL. I want to limit the first distribution to only those who do not have a 1200XL, so please let me know if you do not qualify. Don't give up, though, some 1200XLs may be available to all.

Well, I have one for you, but I need to know what options you prefer.

If you come pick one up, it's free! The quality varies and all of them have bad keyboards, but they will all boot up OK.

If you want me to get a box, packaging and mail it to you, I'm going to charge you $10, plus whatever postage is.

OK?

If you want me to fix your keyboard, it will cost you $20. (almost all the k/b are bad, mostly fixable...)

If you want me to fix R63 and tweak the video a little, (very little) it will cost you $10 more. (shields go away, if there happens to be any)

If you want me to put a dual OS in it that can be selected by the CHAN switch, you supply the OS files and I'll supply the parts and installation for $30 more. (shields go away here, too, and I'll do the video and R63 for free)

Anything else you would like, (512K SRAM memory, Svideo, etc.) is $20 per hour plus parts.

I really don't want to spend a lot of time doing hardware upgrades, but I do understand that some of you are dangerous with a soldering iron in your hand... And, the whole objective is to get some 1200XLs out to Atari folks that they can use.

Let me add that the cosmetic condition on most is poor, although I won't offer any really ugly machines - just discoloration, for the most part. I hesitate to offer 'upgrades' since it is so subjective, but new, white plastic is available for $20. Note that this will mean that you will not have a s/n - these covers are brand-new.

Please - you must explicitly choose the options. ("I want the $10 shipping, $20 cosmetic upgrade, $20 keyboard and $10 video fix") Don't make me guess!

So, let me know what options you prefer and send me your name and address. (it makes it much easier for me to keep things straight if you put all that in a single PM, please) I'll send your 1200XL out USPS, Priority. Payments to me may be made via PayPal to:bob1200XL@att.net or you can just send cash/check in the mail after you receive your system.

Bob Woolley

1161 Bay St.

Alameda, CA 94501

510+865-1672

Bob

PM sent.

Zzalg_Repus

Michael_Rose

_The Doctor__

Bob

Bob

Hey Bob,

Hopefully i'm still on the list? Never heard anything back

Thanks

Gary