IGNORED

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

moycon

Pacman should always take the turn faster than the ghosts if you're pushing that direction already before you hit the turn.. something a lot of home ports missed.

Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah, but it seems he does so much earlier than he does in other versions (like the classic arcade game). I find myself making accidental turns with little to no room for correction because of how "generous" it is with turning.

Pacman should always take the turn faster than the ghosts if you're pushing that direction already before you hit the turn.. something a lot of home ports missed.

Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah, but it seems he does so much earlier than he does in other versions (like the classic arcade game). I find myself making accidental turns with little to no room for correction because of how "generous" it is with turning.

I mean.. it could be. Although from what you're describing (making accidental turns) that's actually sounds to me the standard experience of playing Pacman with 8-way joysticks or even worse, those piss poor 360 control pads/sticks. :P Especially at the faster speeds the game has.

If we could get a true-4-way joystick (and I mean the kind you can't even PUSH diagonally) that would be friggin awesome. But I've been doing ok with the 360 analog stick. It still aint the greatest though.

Edited by NE146

The mod on my Hori EX2 is complete. Much better experience all around. I feel like I am playing with the proper controller... the way Pac-man was meant to be played. Plus my scores went up a touch. Still make the occasional blunder, but now it is operator error. I don't think I can blame the equipment anymore.

I think part of the problem is also just my lack of precision. Last night when I played it again I made it a point to let the stick reset itself before moving it in another direction. It helped quite a bit.

Awwwwww man, don't do that.

You wont be able to blame the controller on your screw ups. ;)

I've learned to use the 360 analog stick for the Pacman CE games and have scored about 1.6 million in the 5 minute time trials in the Championship II course. The slowdowns that occur in the new one definitely help out when it comes to close calls. Although I think if I had a proper 4-way it probably would have made me score closer to 2 million.

Just got this today after finally getting around to playing the demo. I'm absolutely loving this version, even much moreso than the original CE. The only complaint I have is the same I have for the first CE and most other Namco XBLA ports: Why must it be so unfriendly to multiple players. I often play with my kids, each of whom has their own Live profile. After each turn we need to back out to the main menu, sign out of Live and sign in under the next player's profile. Why can't it just be whoever presses "Start" is the current player?

Otherwise, great game! Nothing like ripping up 70-100 ghosts in an orgy of revenge.

Just got this today after finally getting around to playing the demo. I'm absolutely loving this version, even much moreso than the original CE. The only complaint I have is the same I have for the first CE and most other Namco XBLA ports: Why must it be so unfriendly to multiple players. I often play with my kids, each of whom has their own Live profile. After each turn we need to back out to the main menu, sign out of Live and sign in under the next player's profile. Why can't it just be whoever presses "Start" is the current player?

Otherwise, great game! Nothing like ripping up 70-100 ghosts in an orgy of revenge.

I agree it's a pain if you want to play with different profiles... but you don't mean all the way out to the Xbox Live menu do you? You shouldn't have to go all the way out to there.

Usually you just tap the middle button, and press X to sign out and sign back in, then tap the middle button to get rid of it. But yeah it will take you back to the Pacman title screen.

The mod on my Hori EX2 is complete. Much better experience all around. I feel like I am playing with the proper controller... the way Pac-man was meant to be played. Plus my scores went up a touch. Still make the occasional blunder, but now it is operator error. I don't think I can blame the equipment anymore.

Sounds like I need to get that plate. I have a TE stick coming in very soon thanks to a Black Friday sale.

I absolutely love this game. I'm not as high as you all, I'm hitting 1.1 mil, close to 1.2. I really like the fact that the plate makes that much of a difference... sounds like I need to order two. One for my big bertha stick and one for my SF stick. I wonder how good that plate works with MAME and 4 way games. Can you find out Zoyx if it feels right in pac-man and donkey kong?

If it really works that well... I just may have to get a 3rd one for when I turn my namco 12 in 1 jakk's stick into an arcade cabinet, so that the 4 way games play like they should, and the 8 way games are still 8 way. :D

Sounds like I need to get that plate. I have a TE stick coming in very soon thanks to a Black Friday sale.

I absolutely love this game. I'm not as high as you all, I'm hitting 1.1 mil, close to 1.2. I really like the fact that the plate makes that much of a difference... sounds like I need to order two. One for my big bertha stick and one for my SF stick. I wonder how good that plate works with MAME and 4 way games. Can you find out Zoyx if it feels right in pac-man and donkey kong?

If it really works that well... I just may have to get a 3rd one for when I turn my namco 12 in 1 jakk's stick into an arcade cabinet, so that the 4 way games play like they should, and the 8 way games are still 8 way. :D

I can test it this evening... I'm sure it will work fine. The octagonal restrictor is meant for 8-way games, so the experience won't be pure.

I have a Wii Hori fighting stick on order. Plan on giving it the same treatment.

I can test it this evening... I'm sure it will work fine. The octagonal restrictor is meant for 8-way games, so the experience won't be pure.

I have a Wii Hori fighting stick on order. Plan on giving it the same treatment.

I know its not going to be pure... I just want them to be playable. I appreciate it, I really want to be able to play donkey kong on my big bertha stick without having to fight what true down is.

The Hori EX2 worked with Mame, but not the way I expected. Windows read the joystick as the POV hat. Your version of Mame needs to support the POV hat in order to work. My old version of Mame from many years ago didn't have POV hat support, while a newer version did.

Once I did get it working it was fine. Fired up DK, and control was great.

Does anyone have any tips for scoring over the 1.6mil mark? That seems to be my consistent point. I managed to get up to 1.7mil once, but just once. I can't seem to improve my game at all.

Heck, just watch the videos of the top scores in the leaderboard (I think you press Y to view them?). There's all the tips you need right there. :P

Does anyone have any tips for scoring over the 1.6mil mark? That seems to be my consistent point. I managed to get up to 1.7mil once, but just once. I can't seem to improve my game at all.

Heck, just watch the videos of the top scores in the leaderboard (I think you press Y to view them?). There's all the tips you need right there. :P

Ah, will-do.. I didn't realize replays could be uploaded. Nice. :)

The Hori EX2 worked with Mame, but not the way I expected. Windows read the joystick as the POV hat. Your version of Mame needs to support the POV hat in order to work. My old version of Mame from many years ago didn't have POV hat support, while a newer version did.

Once I did get it working it was fine. Fired up DK, and control was great.

I have the latest verison, so that's fine. Oh, if you have an earlier version, you can use Joy2Key, and enable POV inside of it, and set it like that.

You said control was great? You sold me. Ordering the plates now. I'm ordering a few, one for my current stick, one for my SF TE stick that's coming in, and one for my eventual arcade project I want to do.

The Sanwa plates came in.

They're absolutely amazing.

I installed one on my Tekken 5 stick for ps2, and one onto my SF4 TE stick.

This plate will NOT work on the Hori Fighter Stick 2 for the ps2.

My scores increased by 300k across the board. Donkey Kong is so much fun now on MAME, and Dig Dug is very playable on the 360. So are shmups, I'm better at Mushi also.

Best $5 I ever spent. My new project I want to do will have one of these plates, so I can take the space that I am going to save now from having a 2nd stick for a 4 way, and install a track ball. :D

My scores increased by 300k across the board. Donkey Kong is so much fun now on MAME, and Dig Dug is very playable on the 360. So are shmups, I'm better at Mushi also.

What shmups are you playing that are 4-way? Or are you saying the stick itself is just better, period. (and easily switchable from 4-way to 8-way)?