IGNORED

Free sprites for the taking

PAC-MAN-RED

Here is the demo with revised Magenta.

I still see some gaps in her hair.

Don't you think perhaps it is better to always leave a gap and remove the white "hunchback"?

Rocky 06.bas.bin

Strange... I was pretty sure I fixed the gaps before I saved the sprite files. :ponder: I'm at work so I probably got distracted and thought I had done so.

In any case, there are now two versions of Magenta back in the first posting of her. One with gaps and one without the gaps.

Whichever one you like best, is good enough for me. :)

It's looking good so far.. I keep thinking that if I wait long enough there's going to be a surprise mud wrestling scene with Janet and Magenta. :D *crossing fingers*

Hey, Thanks guys! When it was done, that Jellyfish amazed me too lol. It's based on the actual real-life movements of a Jellyfish that was filmed and placed on Youtube. Ugh.. I'm giving away my trade secrets! heh :P

You cheater!!!! :x :D

I'd love to figure out how to do some actual rotoscoping. Take a video clip or animated GIF and turn it into a bB sprite. Even if you have to clean it up, at least the basic movement would be there. Problem is a bB sprite is very small, so everything I have tried is too darn fuzzy to use and completely useless.

Edited by Random Terrain

Hey, Thanks guys! When it was done, that Jellyfish amazed me too lol. It's based on the actual real-life movements of a Jellyfish that was filmed and placed on Youtube. Ugh.. I'm giving away my trade secrets! heh :P

You cheater!!!! :x :D

I'd love to figure out how to do some actual rotoscoping. Take a video clip or animated GIF and turn it into a bB sprite. Even if you have to clean it up, at least the basic movement would be there. Problem is a bB sprite is very small, so everything I have tried is too darn fuzzy to use and completely useless.

I wish it were as easy as a one-click Animated GIF to 2600 Sprites, and have them look good. When I'm taking a large pic and want to reduce it's size to be a sprite I try using the following method(Yes I know, I'll make that tutorial one day :P):

The first 2 steps can be done in reverse order...

First, using a program, shrink the picture down as far as possible without losing too many details in the picture.

Second, try reducing the color of the picture to as few colors as possible without losing too much of the image details (If you can, make it 1 color).

Third, it's all grunt work from here. In the picture editor, view the image and imagine that it's divided into 4 square sections making a upper left and upper right, and lower left and lower right. Now, start pushing these sections towards the center of the picture. Sometimes whole left and right or top and bottom sections need to be moved, and sometimes it's just a small piece of the picture. Continue until you are happy :) , or angry and want to break something. :x

Sounds like fun huh? :D

Third, it's all grunt work from here. In the picture editor, view the image and imagine that it's divided into 4 square sections making a upper left and upper right, and lower left and lower right. Now, start pushing these sections towards the center of the picture. Sometimes whole left and right or top and bottom sections need to be moved, and sometimes it's just a small piece of the picture. Continue until you are happy :) , or angry and want to break something. :x

Sounds like fun huh? :D

"Me ankle's in me anus" said the bB sprite to the overzealous bB programmer.

Thanks for the tips.

New version of bB will have:

• Six sprites (one exclusive, five multiplexed, will be increased to 10)
  • All sprites have twice the vertical resolution as other bB kernels
  • All sprites can be multicolored
  • Asymmetric playfield, any resolution
  • Multicolored playfield
  • Playfield allows independent resolution control for each 8-pixel column
  • Both missiles and ball available and may be any height
  • Each sprite allows its REFPx and NUSIZx set independently
  • Automatic flickering

New version of bB will have:

• Six sprites (one exclusive, five multiplexed, will be increased to 10)
  • All sprites have twice the vertical resolution as other bB kernels
  • All sprites can be multicolored
  • Asymmetric playfield, any resolution
  • Multicolored playfield
  • Playfield allows independent resolution control for each 8-pixel column
  • Both missiles and ball available and may be any height
  • Each sprite allows its REFPx and NUSIZx set independently
  • Automatic flickering

Wow! There are alot of awesome changes in that list. Any idea when it's going to be released?

The beta release is already out: http://www.atariage.com/forums/blog/134/entry-7832-batari-basic-11-beta-with-dpc-kernel/

To be technically correct, the new DPC kernel has those awesome features, not bB itself. The beta contains the previous standard and multisprite kernels, as well as the snazzy DPC kernel.

The DPC kernel is presently missing a score display (I think batari has more cool stuff planned there) and there's the odd bug being shaken out, but it's good enough to preview or start a project in.

Edited by RevEng

Thank you Bakasama.

In the original game Magenta always moves but if I change something in gameplay the still frame could be useful.

PAC-MAN-RED, what do yout think about new bB single line resolution sprites?

Do you think Janet and Magenta design could be enhanced?

Thank you Bakasama.

In the original game Magenta always moves but if I change something in gameplay the still frame could be useful.

PAC-MAN-RED, what do yout think about new bB single line resolution sprites?

Do you think Janet and Magenta design could be enhanced?

Well with a single line resolution as opposed to the double line we have now, it would definitely allow the sprites to look a lot better. My drawings are done in Visual bB which hasn't implemented the new resolution yet so I'm kinda stuck for now. :(

Janet and Magenta could both use a make over. ;) If I get more time I might be able to playing with just bB and see what I can come up with. In the meantime, keep this thread alive. :) :thumbsup:

Thank you.

PMR aka Illya

Thank you Bakasama.

I do admit you might be using it but at least it's there if you do find a use for it. Such as having Magenta standing guard or if you need the player to sneak past her.

• 2 weeks later...

PAC-MAN-RED, just wanted to let you know that I've been using your sprites in my Super Mario game. It's going slow, but I have a lot done now, so hopefully in a week or two I'll post what I have done so far.

The sprites are kind of a mix between yours and mine. I'm using my drawing for the face, combined with your drawing of the body. The coloring's a little different, but not much. Also, I'm just using three sprites for walking and standing (six sprites total, three small, three large) and the sprite for when Mario dies.

Thank you for the sprites, and I hope you like what I did with them when you see them.

• Like 1

PAC-MAN-RED, just wanted to let you know that I've been using your sprites in my Super Mario game. It's going slow, but I have a lot done now, so hopefully in a week or two I'll post what I have done so far.

The sprites are kind of a mix between yours and mine. I'm using my drawing for the face, combined with your drawing of the body. The coloring's a little different, but not much. Also, I'm just using three sprites for walking and standing (six sprites total, three small, three large) and the sprite for when Mario dies.

Thank you for the sprites, and I hope you like what I did with them when you see them.

Hey, glad I could help and you're most welcome. :) I will be happy to see your work with them. :thumbsup:

Take care.

My very first DPC+ Sprites are in. Mainly these are just for practice. :D Nothing animated may appear for awhile as these sprites take a little bit longer to create due to the greater detail and colour that can be added (and because my standards are too bloody high.. heh heh heh). Enjoy. :)

post-26314-129877828629_thumb.png

Flowers DPC+.zip

These were inspired by the love of my life. :)

Edited by PAC-MAN-RED
  • Like 1