IGNORED

Video Life

atariauctions

Usually when a person brings a rare item to an actual store/pawn shop, etc.. Yes, the buyer/employee will know that it is rare but the first thing they always ask the seller is "How much do YOU want for it?" The seller will usually say something like "Oh, I dunno, I guess I was thinking around $100?" The buyer will then accept the SELLERS asking price and everyone is happy. Yes, there item may have been worth thousands of dollars but they got the price THEY asked for it and if they had a feeling it was worth more they should have researched it themselves, we do live in a world where pricing info on almost anything is just a few mouse clicks away, I don't feel bad for idiots that don't take a few seconds to research stuff. It is not the buyers job to educate morons on what there stuff is worth and there is nothing immoral about not telling them if they do not ask. As a buyer you are simply saying what YOU will pay for it, not what it's value is.

Just the fact that you ask that question marks you as unethical. It can be considered a predatory business practice. When you are a professional, you should be held to a higher standard than the general public because you have specialized knowledge that the general public doesn't and you are using that knowledge to exploit people. An ethical buyer and seller of used items makes his best offer up front without asking the seller what he wants for it. If the seller won't take it, then at least he has made a fair offer for whatever it is and the seller won't find a better deal by going anywhere else so he will then know what his item is worth and that you were being honest with him about the value. I used to work in the sports card and collectibles trade and I knew who all the honest dealers were and who the shady ones were in my area because I used to go to them once in a while to get offers for things and I would steer my customers away from the dishonest ones if they were looking for something I didn't have or wanted to sell something that was too pricey for me to handle.

I agree that professionals should be professional and offer fair amounts. If they dont they will not be in business long. People go to them looking for wisdom. In my opinion collectors can offer whatever they choose. This is how people get lucky and get good deals. To be honest I doubt youd turn down a $10 airraid, if it were say a craigslist offer. To expect people to go and pay more than the seller asks for is pretty "holier than thou." No offense but your views on ethics are confusing. where does it end. If someone puts a price on it thats their fault not yours. Do some research. Its really not that hard to look into an item before you try to sell it.

Usually when a person brings a rare item to an actual store/pawn shop, etc.. Yes, the buyer/employee will know that it is rare but the first thing they always ask the seller is "How much do YOU want for it?" The seller will usually say something like "Oh, I dunno, I guess I was thinking around $100?" The buyer will then accept the SELLERS asking price and everyone is happy. Yes, there item may have been worth thousands of dollars but they got the price THEY asked for it and if they had a feeling it was worth more they should have researched it themselves, we do live in a world where pricing info on almost anything is just a few mouse clicks away, I don't feel bad for idiots that don't take a few seconds to research stuff. It is not the buyers job to educate morons on what there stuff is worth and there is nothing immoral about not telling them if they do not ask. As a buyer you are simply saying what YOU will pay for it, not what it's value is.

Just the fact that you ask that question marks you as unethical. It can be considered a predatory business practice. When you are a professional, you should be held to a higher standard than the general public because you have specialized knowledge that the general public doesn't and you are using that knowledge to exploit people. An ethical buyer and seller of used items makes his best offer up front without asking the seller what he wants for it. If the seller won't take it, then at least he has made a fair offer for whatever it is and the seller won't find a better deal by going anywhere else so he will then know what his item is worth and that you were being honest with him about the value. I used to work in the sports card and collectibles trade and I knew who all the honest dealers were and who the shady ones were in my area because I used to go to them once in a while to get offers for things and I would steer my customers away from the dishonest ones if they were looking for something I didn't have or wanted to sell something that was too pricey for me to handle.

The truth is nobody gets ripped off anymore, everybody knows about Ebay and this entire argument is pointless because the only way brick and mortar collectible shops actually make money these days is from buying stolen items from drug addicts that need money NOW! .....but, the few people who are too stubborn or lazy to take 5 minutes to research the value of an item via the internet deserve to get low balled, it's there own damn fault for expecting everyone else to do the work for them. Remember this lesson kids...

The truth is nobody gets ripped off anymore, everybody knows about Ebay and this entire argument is pointless because the only way brick and mortar collectible shops actually make money these days is from buying stolen items from drug addicts that need money NOW! .....but, the few people who are too stubborn or lazy to take 5 minutes to research the value of an item via the internet deserve to get low balled, it's there own damn fault for expecting everyone else to do the work for them. Remember this lesson kids...

Nobody gets ripped off anymore? If you look in my other thread, someone sold a boxed Learning Fun I and Learning Fun II in a side deal for $75 after I had already placed a much higher bid which he canceled to accept the side deal. There's still a lot of predators out there and a lot of people who don't know the true value of what they have.

I agree that professionals should be professional and offer fair amounts. If they dont they will not be in business long. People go to them looking for wisdom. In my opinion collectors can offer whatever they choose. This is how people get lucky and get good deals. To be honest I doubt youd turn down a $10 airraid, if it were say a craigslist offer. To expect people to go and pay more than the seller asks for is pretty "holier than thou." No offense but your views on ethics are confusing. where does it end. If someone puts a price on it thats their fault not yours. Do some research. Its really not that hard to look into an item before you try to sell it.

I never said that I expected people to pay more than the seller is asking EXCEPT if they are a professional. A customer who buys something from a dealer for less than it's value is under no obligation to pay anything more than what the price on the item says. If I were to buy a baseball card from a dealer that was $100 in the price guides but he had a $50 tag on it, he can't hunt me down later and say I still owe him $50 because he put his price on it. In the case of a member of the public responding to the question "How much do you want for it?" he doesn't know what it's worth so how is he going to know what a fair price is when he doesn't know what the dealer knows? In many trades, members of the trade have access to information through various organizations that they belong to that the general public can't get. Even price guides that are sold to the public often aren't accurate indicators of real values, but the trade sheets that the dealer keeps behind the counter are and only he gets to see those so where is the public supposed to go for accurate information?

I agree it is unprofessional for a professional to try to cheat someone. Be honest and tell them what its worth and explain you need to resell it for that so you need to make a markup and make a fair offer but as an individual I will offer someone as little as I can to get an item, unless they are in desperate need of the money. I do have a soul :)

Nobody gets ripped off anymore? If you look in my other thread, someone sold a boxed Learning Fun I and Learning Fun II in a side deal for $75 after I had already placed a much higher bid which he canceled to accept the side deal. There's still a lot of predators out there and a lot of people who don't know the true value of what they have.

Did you even read the post you replied to. If someone is too lazy to look up the value of an item they are selling it is their own fault. This is especially true for an Ebay seller. There is absolutely no excuse in that case.

It's still dishonest for a buyer to offer $10 for a game that he knows he can get thousands for. There's a special corner in hell set aside for people like that.

I definitely agree with this. There's no legal or whatever obligation to tell a seller "hey, that game I just won is worth a million times what I'm paying for it", but there is, in my opinion, a moral one. I've actually had this happen where I informed the seller of their mistake. In the end, they let me have it for the price I paid. I, of course, was keeping it anyway, but I always feel bad for the seller that's uninformed and just trying to make some money and had the potential to make more than they ever dreamed, only to see that shafted by some scum waiting under the surface to convince them to sell for much less with a "deal" that seems incredible on the surface.

It's still dishonest for a buyer to offer $10 for a game that he knows he can get thousands for. There's a special corner in hell set aside for people like that.

I definitely agree with this. There's no legal or whatever obligation to tell a seller "hey, that game I just won is worth a million times what I'm paying for it", but there is, in my opinion, a moral one. I've actually had this happen where I informed the seller of their mistake. In the end, they let me have it for the price I paid. I, of course, was keeping it anyway, but I always feel bad for the seller that's uninformed and just trying to make some money and had the potential to make more than they ever dreamed, only to see that shafted by some scum waiting under the surface to convince them to sell for much less with a "deal" that seems incredible on the surface.

Ebay is also a special case in that in a true auction, you can actually bid what the item is worth but if there aren't enough bidders to push the price up to that point, you win for less. There's nothing immoral about that, either. Auction has been a legitimate form of trade since ancient times. You made the best offer you could for it, it's not your fault that nobody else bid it up to that point.

Ebay is also a special case in that in a true auction, you can actually bid what the item is worth but if there aren't enough bidders to push the price up to that point, you win for less. There's nothing immoral about that, either. Auction has been a legitimate form of trade since ancient times. You made the best offer you could for it, it's not your fault that nobody else bid it up to that point.

Shilling :x What ya gonna do then???