IGNORED

Keeping your word in the Atari Marketplace

Coleco Gemini

So, I was looking on the marketplace and found that Chris Leach made a posting for stuff several months back. Knowing that he has a good reputation on this forum, I made him an offer for his RCA studio II which as of this morning, he stated was still available, and also stated, "make me a deal for the whole thing and you got a deal.....". So, I emailed him back about an hour later, told him that I use the old systems for my after school program, and I made him an offer, $20 (I know the reputation of this system and I thought it was a fair offer, he was also free to counter) he sent me this email back a couple hours later:

"unfortunately, the pong system has been sold and the RCA payment has come through from another AA member that previously inquired...therefore it is no longer available...I do apologize

Thank you for the interest though..

chris"

So, it was posted in August, he said it was available this morning, told me to 'make a deal, and you got a deal' then at the end of the day, after 4 months on the forum it is suddenly sold? Even if someone else had magically paid for it today, it does not matter, as, obviously he told me it was still available and neglected to mention the fact that someone did make an offer (if that is truly the case)I know that Chris has a good rep. and I am sure that this is a once in a while thing, but, honestly this is dishonest, and I know I am new to the forum, but, the bottom line, is that I try and conduct my business with straightforwardness and honesty, and this kind of thing is ridiculous, Chris, has lost my respect and future business....

Roll with it. Chris is a great seller, and sometimes things like this happen. As a seller, he has a right to entertain all offers on his merchandise, and whoever pays first gets the items first. Perhaps the other guy made a higher offer? If so, Chris doesn't have to lose money just so you could get a deal on a console.

EDIT: I looked at Chris's RCA Studio II collection thread. He was selling the whole collection, perhaps he meant make an offer on the WHOLE collection? I'd be pretty offended if someone offered me $20 on a near complete collection of RCA Studio II stuff.

Edited by brandondwright

Roll with it. Chris is a great seller, and sometimes things like this happen. As a seller, he has a right to entertain all offers on his merchandise, and whoever pays first gets the items first. Perhaps the other guy made a higher offer? If so, Chris doesn't have to lose money just so you could get a deal on a console.

no, I dont believe that you 'roll' with it, because, had I done this as a new member, I would be blacklisted. The bottom line is that I emailed (all within 18 hrs.), it was available, he told me to make any offer (re-read post), he wanted to get it off his hands, then, someone else comes along (after 4 months, which is odd), before he says yes or no to my offer (which I was told was the only one, it has been up for four months) and he sells it to them, doesnt seem to be very straightforward, and yes, he has the right to sell to whomever, but, you should give the person a chance to counter before you sell to someone else, you say "I have x offer, would you be willing to match or beat it?" if I turned it down, I am sure the other mystery person would have taken it just the same. This is all typical fairness in business. As for handling things in private? why? all business conduct should be handled to where it is fair and equitable and can be shared with others, if not, then it is not fair whatsoever.

Agreed. My opinion is you can deal with him in private. No need to slander here. Maybe if he had stolen your money or something but not for this

Slander is spoken libel is written both of which are not true, this all happened, I appreciate, how I am attacked for pointing out a situation which was unfair and really unprofessional, just because it is a 'respected' seller, and I am new here

As for handling things in private? why? all business conduct should be handled to where it is fair and equitable and can be shared with others, if not, then it is not fair whatsoever.

Why should you keep it in private? Because new users such as yourself and Ohiotoy soon find themselves blacklisted among members when they begin to make unreasonable claims against well respected forum members and sellers.

• Like 1

As for handling things in private? why? all business conduct should be handled to where it is fair and equitable and can be shared with others, if not, then it is not fair whatsoever.

Why should you keep it in private? Because new users such as yourself and Ohiotoy soon find themselves blacklisted among members when they begin to make unreasonable claims against well respected forum members and sellers.

Well that is ridiculous, no unreasonable claims here, just the truth, had the roles been reversed I am sure your response would be much different...

and you are comparing me to someone who steals money?! ?! how insulting! I have had several dealings with other members here, and they know I am honest, and followed through, I have a 100% ebay rating after buying and selling over 70 items. Perhaps you need to get your comparisons straight and not insult new members.

Edited by Coleco Gemini

Well that is ridiculous, no unreasonable claims here, just the truth, had the roles been reversed I am sure your response would be much different...

I've had this happen many times, from sellers with differing post counts (looking over my PMs, I count 6). I did just as I suggested to you: Roll with it. These ladies/gentlemen were very apologetic; mistakes happen. I most definitely did NOT make a public spectacle of it.

look, I am usually VERY workable, but, when someone says to make any offer, and they will give you a deal and that they want to get rid of it, after 4 months of it being on here, then magically that day they sell it (within an 18 hour period) it is ridiculous. Maybe it is a poor choice of words on his part, and I have given him the benefit of the doubt. But, in the business world and in sales, which I am in and have been in, this kind of thing is unacceptable, you give the person a chance to counter, maybe he would have gotten more? I honestly have no idea what it is worth, but, I know it has a horrible reputation, so, I thought $20 was a good place to start, and after some wheeling and dealing and back and forth you maybe get up up near $40 or $50, and like I said I use them in my school program for my students, so, to me it is worth what it is worth to me, but you give the person you are talking to a chance to counter and not respond, with a "thanks its gone" thing

and you are comparing me to someone who steals money?! ?! how insulting!

Are you illiterate too? Ohiotoy stole from no one. Ohiotoy was a classic example of someone who was an uncompassionate, unsympathetic buyer who was unwilling to work things out with the seller. I find this comparison quite appropriate.

and you are comparing me to someone who steals money?! ?! how insulting!

Are you illiterate too? Ohiotoy stole from no one. Ohiotoy was a classic example of someone who was an uncompassionate, unsympathetic buyer who was unwilling to work things out with the seller. I find this comparison quite appropriate.

From what I understand, and perhaps I was told the story incorrectly, I thought, he had stolen the $200 from Axe? (who is a nice guy by the way)and just how am I not being compassionate? your comparison is equally illogical. I like how you take something, which has nothing to do with this situation and compare the two, Chris, was not fair at all, end of story! Ohiotoy was a jerk and unworkable obviously (Axe had a flood for pity sake! but, not being there I wont comment further), and there is no comparison between me and him whatsoever I am very workable except when it comes to two parties negotiating in good faith, and one apparently was not or hid information. Oh, FYI I have many, many more posts than that Toy jerk had!

I probably shouldn't get involved in this at all, but I have to admit the whole thing seems kind of shady. I understand Coleco Gemini's standpoint but maybe what it comes down to is a lack of proper communication between the seller and the potential buyer. For those saying this should be taken out in private though, I disagree. It's things like this that show the AA marketplace is far from perfect, and despite however reputable a seller may be, and despite however much quality feedback they may have, transacations aren't always rosey even for the smallest reasons.

Among some fairly horrible transactions I've had with fairly reputable sellers here (names will not be given, all is good and in the past), I have dealt with this sort of shady communication issue on multiple occasions. I especially love it when sellers say, "Yeah, it's yours!", and then leave me hanging only to never respond again (yet they still remain active on the board and the item disappears from the listing shortly thereafter).

I tend to agree with Austin here. Without knowing Chris's side of the story, it seems like it was a communication problem and both sides messed up here. That's why the internet can be tricky sometimes, as it's not as easy to commmunicate with someone as it is by phone or in person.

Edited by SoulBlazer

I probably shouldn't get involved in this at all, but I have to admit the whole thing seems kind of shady. I understand Coleco Gemini's standpoint but maybe what it comes down to is a lack of proper communication between the seller and the potential buyer. For those saying this should be taken out in private though, I disagree. It's things like this that show the AA marketplace is far from perfect, and despite however reputable a seller may be, and despite however much quality feedback they may have, transacations aren't always rosey even for the smallest reasons.

Among some fairly horrible transactions I've had with fairly reputable sellers here (names will not be given, all is good and in the past), I have dealt with this sort of shady communication issue on multiple occasions. I especially love it when sellers say, "Yeah, it's yours!", and then leave me hanging only to never respond again (yet they still remain active on the board and the item disappears from the listing shortly thereafter).

Shady is the word. I have my reasons for agreeing.

look, I am usually VERY workable, but, when someone says to make any offer, and they will give you a deal and that they want to get rid of it, after 4 months of it being on here, then magically that day they sell it (within an 18 hour period) it is ridiculous. Maybe it is a poor choice of words on his part, and I have given him the benefit of the doubt. But, in the business world and in sales, which I am in and have been in, this kind of thing is unacceptable, you give the person a chance to counter, maybe he would have gotten more? I honestly have no idea what it is worth, but, I know it has a horrible reputation, so, I thought $20 was a good place to start, and after some wheeling and dealing and back and forth you maybe get up up near $40 or $50, and like I said I use them in my school program for my students, so, to me it is worth what it is worth to me, but you give the person you are talking to a chance to counter and not respond, with a "thanks its gone" thing

Seriously, what is with people whining and crying about pointless crap lately. Your offer must have sucked to him, weather it was worth it or not, big deal, move on and buy a different one. Oh, you can't find another one for $20? Well, looks like you should have came out the gates with a better offer then ;) Who knows, he might have just blown you off with the "already sold" line but remember this valuable lesson.....when making an offer, start out a little higher than 40% of the price you are willing to pay if you would like to be taken seriously.

• Like 2

:thumbsup:

It always amazes me some of the holier than thou attitudes on this board. This is a discussion forum, and that's what ppl are here to do. There was absolutely nothing said by the OP that was either inappropriate, or insulting, or necessary to be taken into private. That said, Chris is a good seller, and I'm sure he'll be along to tell his side of the story.

• Like 1

Dec 13th, 2010 [another AA] How much were you wanting for it? I'm not sure about how much they go for myself, but I might be interested. I might have to wait until the holidays are over though.

Well, Good morning to everyone out there in AA land! First off.......this could have been handled via pm.

december 18th, 2010 Would you be willing to take $100 (plus shipping) for all the RCA Studio II items you have in your for sale thread?

^^ if you are the proud owner of this pm? Please post here because you deserve to apparently knock me down as well as this other character for not selling you the RCA studio II...

Fact of the matter is, I did not refuse a sale due to the fact of a low offer......I did not refuse the sale because I lied to the member....I did not make up a fake "Hey the RCA is still available!" The RCA was available as of yesterday morning and it could have been sold to this complaining member, but I received payment yesterday from the member that posted the message from December 13th, 2010.

The RCA has been in my for sale thread forever! I even posted that no one liked it...good play on my words, but payment came through from a member that mentioned they may, keyword....MAY be interested in this item after the holidays if it was still available.

[december 18th, 2010] another different AA member "Hi Chris,

Is the Studio II still available? How much do you want for it with games? I suspect it's out of my current budget, but I have to check"

I have had so many interested parties with the RCA, but no one has decided to make payment....

Rule hear: If you are 100% interested then send payment......just a couple weeks ago, I took down my entire for sale thread because I had a new member suggest via telephone they would be will to purchase the lot of it if it was in their budget. They were making a new store, so I thought the payment would come through............that never happened, so I had to start from scratch again....so I posted the stuff again...maybe I should leave them negative feedback for not making a deal go through.......or to the kid in Canada that bought magazines from me and the ups guy made them pay an additional 200$ at the door because of a processing error, maybe he should leave me negative feedback.......I took down an entire sales thread because of the fact I spoke with this person on the phone and they assured me they were interested....I didnt get a single sale from the individual....no names mentioned cause that doesnt make him a bad guy...I just cant pull something on the simple fact that a payment may or may not come through...look at the first sentence...!

THE MEMBER SUGGESTS """MIGHT""" key words MIGHT, MAY, POSSIBLY, and several others, typically mean...there is a %95 chance your pm's are gonna be lost in the mix and no sale made!

[october 13, 2010] a totally different aa member "Hi,

You want cash or trade for the RCA Studio, books, and software?

Thanks"

Maybe I should still be holding this RCA for this member?

Either way...to anyone who has purchased something from me...if you are unsatisfied with what you purchased pm me....dont play forum mind games....

If you are interested in purchasing something from me, just pm me and if you are 100% interested..it gets pulled, but if I have something that has been posted for months.....and you ask me a general how much for this? I don't feel the need to tell you everytime I get a one bit or two bit offer from someone....its typically...hey how much for this......I say what do you consider fair...and then we usually have a agreement if the price wasnt already posted.....could I have told this member that the item was on hold?

NO! The item was not on hold as I never had a concrete deal in place, because people bacl out of stuff all the time......

You ever see something you want and then cant afford it? Well, it happens.....I let this go for $48 with shipping...thats my business and someone got a great deal! Should I back out and take the $100 offer? Sure, I should back out and take the more money who wouldnt, but Im not that guy! I made a deal with a person that closed the deal. There was no deal with this member and will never be another deal with this member!

I can ask for prices from the marketplace users all day long...that doesnt mean they should hold that item....if I say "can you hold the item I am interested, then I would expect that item to be held!"

NEVER DID THIS MEMBER SAY " I HAVE MONEY LET ME HAVE YOU HOLD THIS ITEM CAUSE IM INTERESTED IN MAKING A DEAL!

and sold another topic here...>$20 is a pretty low deal...would I have accepted it....probably, but someone else sent me actual paypal funds and you and I were not even in the process of giving you my paypal address...hope you can live without the studio II, but it is sold and has been removed from the thread

the member from the December 13th post got the item after about 20 different conversations with different members, she was the first to make payment and make it official!

[any questions can be forwarded to my highly paid secretary]

• Like 1

Seriously, what is with people whining and crying about pointless crap lately. Your offer must have sucked to him, weather it was worth it or not, big deal, move on and buy a different one. Oh, you can't find another one for $20? Well, looks like you should have came out the gates with a better offer then ;) Who knows, he might have just blown you off with the "already sold" line but remember this valuable lesson.....when making an offer, start out a little higher than 40% of the price you are willing to pay if you would like to be taken seriously.

It is not a matter of the cash it is a matter of principal, in no way was there a concrete deal, however, Chris, here was your message to me:

"User is online Chris Leach Icon

Ive got the system and the hook up s and all the paperwork...and these games:

TV school house I (manual...no box)

Blackjack

Blackjack

Fun with numbers

Baseball

Math Fun

Fun with numbers

Space War

Tennis/squash

Tennis/squash

make me a deal for the whole thing and you got a deal.....

chris"

Made you an offer just a short time later, I find it interesting that on the precise day, after it has been up for 4 Months I make an offer it is sold. The dollar amount is insignificant the point is your wordage and verbiage. I am not whining at all, I have enough stuff around the house, but, your word choice is poor and the way in which you responded was poor, when you email me stuff like this, you should have come back to me with a counter. It can be overwhelming when you are a seller, but, keep the emails in order, and dont respond with a 'thanks it's sold'. Look, if you had given me a number, and your paypal info, in the FIRST COMMUNICATION it would have been sold, it is not like you did and I did not pay you. You were holding out to see if I would offer better than the other member and when I didnt- oops it's sold! and FYI none of those posts you posted are mine as you note to make your point, you are more than welcome to post the ones I sent!

"You ever see something you want and then cant afford it? Well, it happens.....I let this go for $48 with shipping...thats my business and someone got a great deal! Should I back out and take the $100 offer? Sure, I should back out and take the more money who wouldnt, but Im not that guy! I made a deal with a person that closed the deal. There was no deal with this member and will never be another deal with this member!"

But, didnt you?

Edited by Coleco Gemini

Maybe in the interim of those PM's, the paypal came through with the actual buyer. It may seem like he's playing games but Chris does NOT have that reputation on AA and it sounds to me to just be an unfortunate coincidence that this money came through while you were trying to work out a deal.

I think Chris has more than sufficiently explained the situation, no need to keep on talking about it.

My question to the OP is why did you post this in both it's own thread AND in Chris' marketplace feedback thread? That's just overkill guy. Get over yourself and move on.

What is op? and get over myself? there is nothing to 'get over' and it is posted there, because those who buy or deal should be made aware of a situation which occured. I always find it interesting how people play favorites rather than looking at a situation logically and without emotion, anyway, I digress. And no Chris has not answered fully, because the post he has made does not address any of my Pm's at all but, other epic fails of business dealings, which none of mine are (ask other members I have bought things from). Still, I find it highly unlikely that payment just happened to appear between 7:14 am and 9:14 am after 4 months? Bottom line Chris, you were offered more money and took it! Nothing wrong with that. But, you should have told me that before you said what you said! Here is what you should have said in your first email:

"I have an offer from another seller for x but, they have not paid in four months or whatever, if you can make an equal or higher offer and pay via paypal sometime today, it is yours"

and here is what I would have said to the other person:

"I am dealing with another member, because, I did not receive payment from you, I am waiting to sell until we can hash out a deal but, if it does not sell, you will be next in line again"

Maybe I live on planet X but, is what you do as a seller when you have other somewhat failed offers. (payment had not been received) You dont play this person and that person.

Edited by Coleco Gemini

I also hesitatied to post this, but just for my $0.02...

I have bought from Chris and he is very honest and lets his stuff go cheap if it is going to a good home (thanks for the Channel F Chris...)

I just read his post/response and I am amazed that anyone would not understand it or have any further response on the matter.

I totally agree with what he said. When selling so many items, nobody should be expected to spend all day answering every "maybe" request. Cash is king. Timing is everything. If you want it, make a strong offer and pay immediately. Period. ;)

My question to the OP is why did you post this in both it's own thread AND in Chris' marketplace feedback thread? That's just overkill guy. Get over yourself and move on.

What is op? and get over myself? there is nothing to 'get over' and it is posted there, because those who buy or deal should be made aware of a situation which occured. I always find it interesting how people play favorites rather than looking at a situation logically and without emotion, anyway, I digress. Still, I find it highly unlikely that payment just happened to appear between 7:14 am and 9:14 am after 4 months? Bottom line Chris, you were offered more money and took it! But, you should have told me that before you said what you said!

Apparently there's a lot to get over because you're still here posting away like a fool over the RCA Studio II got away.