IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

It looks like the dynamic DNS issue can't be solved. I mailed the provider and after a long while I got a reply that they can't solve it because it's a 3rd party issue. Tried to contact them too but never got a single reply.

As for now the only way to connect to the BBS is by using the IP address, which can be found at http://thunderdome.fox-1.nl

Check out cloudflare.com. They offer free DNS hosting, and can support dynamic IPs.

Check out cloudflare.com. They offer free DNS hosting, and can support dynamic IPs.

cloudflare? That's all about website content and I don't see how dynamic DNS redirects fit in that but in case I missed something, tell me about it.

Bummer. Hope you get this sorted out soon.

One solution is to change DNS host again, which means the url will change, again, and also means I'll have to redo over 60 BBS info screens, again... And when done it's not sure how long that url will stay active.

A better method would be to create a subdomain under my own domain and redirect that one to the BBS IP but I don't think that's possible.

A better method would be to create a subdomain under my own domain and redirect that one to the BBS IP but I don't think that's possible.

This is what you want to do, set up thunderdome.fox-1.nl to point to your BBS IP. Looks like you're using ServageOne for hosting. A cursory glance of the website doesn't tell me what DNS services they offer.

If they don't allow you to dynamically set the ip of thunderdome.fox-1.nl, you could use Cloudflare for that. You point the name servers for your domain to Cloudflare, and manage DNS on cloudflare instead of ServageOne.

I'd be glad to help you set it up!

I don't think it's that easy when not using port 80.

That doesn't matter. Now people also have to add the :471 right.

I think you could make a redirect from thunderdome.fox-1.nl -> ip address BBS Server

People then will have to connect: telnet://thunderdome.fox-1.nl:471

This did work in the past when I run my own bbs.

Well, whether this works or won't, it isn't the solution to my problem. The problem is that I don't have a static IP.

What I need is something running on the home connection that pushes the current IP to the external server at the time it changes.

Well, whether this works or won't, it isn't the solution to my problem. The problem is that I don't have a static IP.

What I need is something running on the home connection that pushes the current IP to the external server at the time it changes.

That's why you need a DNS service like Cloudflare that lets you update your IP in DNS when it changes. You run a little program on a computer on your home network that updates Cloudflare (or any other DNS service that supports dynamic IPs). Exactly how dyndns.org works, except with your own domain name instead of theirs.

DNS doesn't know or care about ports or services, it just maps names to IP addresses. (Simplified a bit :-)

• Like 1

I have been using both no-ip.com and dyndns.com hosting my BBS on the internet for the last 15 years (although I don't advertise the dyndns address anymore. My IP address is also dynamic. No-ip.com handles updating the IP address automatically and I run a little program I wrote to update Dyndns at random intervals during the day, although these days I rarely see my IP address change anymore unless there is a major power failure in the neighborhood.

I would suggest you look into no-ip.com.

If it were me here is what I would do. Go to www.dtdns.net and sign up for an account.

Setup your hostname (it's free, truly).

Go to http://www.dtdns.com/dtsite/updateclients and download one of these update clients. Install it on your Windows PC/laptop and it will update the .dtdns service anytime the IP changes.

I'm an IT consultant and I use this service all the time for my customers on DSL.

• Like 2

Hmm, I'm with Suddenlink here as a provider, and what I've always done for my BBS

setup is to host with dyndns.org, and use a small daemon (DDclient) on my linux box

that monitors the ip address every 5 mins. If it finds no change, it goes back to sleep,

if it finds a change, it "calls" dyndns.org automagically and updates the ip address.

Simple, neat, automated and totally reliable.

(at least so far...) :)

• Like 1

Good morning all,

Currently uploading the Atari BBS list and thinking of creating a TI-99 list since there are two now. So if you can at this time if someone could please tell me the active Atari BBSs at this time?

Is there a telnet address for Thunderdome yet? I tried a few in the above messages but could not get anything to work.

Here is what is at the end of Darkforces at log off...

The YYZ BBS yyzbbs.no-ip.org
The Atari Inside BBS bbs.inspiration-soft.com
Thunderdome thunderdome.homeip.net:471
Inside the 8bit tcpipexpress.dyndns.org 8888
Boot Factory bfbbs.dtdns.net 23
The Grove/Assassins Guild shadow.skeleton.org 23
Mousenet atari-bbs.kicks-ass.net 23
The Electric Cafe BBS thecafe.dtdns.net

Is Starfleet HQ still with us?

Well, it looks like Microsoft flexed their muscle at www.noip.org and seized most of their host redirects for inspection against malware use abuse. Since they conducted this tyrannical seizure of many of our host redirect names, our bulletin boards can't be accessed through our domain names until this issue is resolved between www.noip.com and Microsoft. What a nuisance.

Here is the info www.noip.org issued today:

"We want to update all our loyal customers about the service outages that many of you are experiencing today and to provide a temporary solution until we can get the issue resolved.

Our temporary solution is to log into your account and create a new hostname using any from the list (we have removed the ones included in the Microsoft takedown and have added new, unaffected ones including: ddns.net, webhop.me, serveminecraft.net, ddnsking.com, onthewifi.com).

Why is this happening? You can also read our formal response on our blog to comment and share on Facebook and Twitter.
It is not a technical issue. This morning, Microsoft served a federal court order and seized 22 of our most commonly used domains because they claimed that some of the subdomains have been abused by creators of malware. We were very surprised by this. We have a long history of proactively working with other companies when cases of alleged malicious activity have been reported to us. Unfortunately, Microsoft never contacted us or asked us to block any subdomains, even though we have an open line of communication with Microsoft corporate executives.

We have been in contact with Microsoft today. They claim that their intent is to only filter out the known bad hostnames in each seized domain, while continuing to allow the good hostnames to resolve. However, this is not happening. Apparently, the Microsoft infrastructure is not able to handle the billions of queries from our customers. Millions of innocent users are experiencing outages to their services because of Microsoft’s attempt to remediate hostnames associated with a few bad actors.

Had Microsoft contacted us, we could and would have taken immediate action. Microsoft now claims that it just wants to get us to clean up our act, but its draconian actions have affected millions of innocent Internet users.

Vitalwerks and No­IP have a very strict abuse policy. Our abuse team is constantly working to keep the No-­IP system domains free of spam and malicious activity. We use sophisticated filters and we scan our network daily for signs of malicious activity. Even with such precautions, our free dynamic DNS service does occasionally fall prey to cyber scammers, spammers, and malware distributors. But this heavy-handed action by Microsoft benefits no one. We will do our best to resolve this problem quickly. Have any questions or comments? Please do not hesitate to open a Support Ticket or give us a call at 775.853.1883."

Edited by Lord Cygnus

However, you can still access both my bulletin boards by IP address at this time:

YYZ BBS: 99.116.104.171:23

8-Bit Guild BBS: 99.116.104.171:10001

I may have to create new host redirect names for my boards if this issue between www.noip.com and Microsoft isn't resolved soon.

-=[Lord Cygnus}=-

Edited by Lord Cygnus

However, you can still access both my bulletin boards by IP address at this time:

YYZ BBS: 99.116.104.171:23

8-Bit Guild BBS: 99.116.104.171:10001

I may have to create new host redirect names for my boards if this issue between www.noip.com and Microsoft isn't resolved soon.

-=[Lord Cygnus}=-

You may also use this temporary URL hostname to access my telnet boards:

YYZ BBS: lordcygnus.ddns.net (port 23)

8-Bit Guild BBS: lordcygnus.ddns.net (port 10001)

See you on the boards!

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

SysOp

Here is what is at the end of Darkforces at log off...

The YYZ BBS yyzbbs.no-ip.org

The Atari Inside BBS bbs.inspiration-soft.com

Thunderdome thunderdome.homeip.net:471

Inside the 8bit tcpipexpress.dyndns.org 8888

Boot Factory bfbbs.dtdns.net 23

The Grove/Assassins Guild shadow.skeleton.org 23

Mousenet atari-bbs.kicks-ass.net 23

The Electric Cafe BBS thecafe.dtdns.net

Is Starfleet HQ still with us?

Don't forget 8-Bit Guild BBS: lordcygnus.ddns.net:10001

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

SysOp