IGNORED

RAM 320XE

ctirad

Hi Roy-

Absolutely sure -- the Freezer is not attached, just the extender/adapter.

As a test, I copied over 1000 sectors to the D8: ramdisk, then loaded one of the last files. Loaded fine. Also, running through the MyDos config process, it "sees" 64K with the ram module off and 256K with the ram module attached. Without more testing, I can't be sure that it is working properly, but it sure appears to be.

The "strange" MyDos is the 4.55 B4 version that FJC patched so that TBXL and some other stuff like MAE will load with a 65816 CPU. I just changed the text so I could keep track of the which version of 4.55 I was using.

-Larry

Edit: After more testing, yes, it does appear to work properly. The tester forgot to boot without BASIC, so some of the files appeared not to load properly making the ramdisk appear corrupted.

Perhaps Ctirad can tell us if he thinks it could work as it seems?

Yeah, I see no reason why it should not. If there are all needed PBI signals on the adapter it is fine. I have reports from some 1200XL users who sucesfully use the RAM 320XL cards with PBI adapters.

The XE PBI adapter has to contain a MMU, because there is no CASINH singnal on the CART/ECI. The opposite way interface would be much more easy, most probably passive.

So obviously this device is fantastic!!!

Thanks.

But I can't see ECI pass through slot on last fotos.

There is no such a foto. As i wrote earlier, the ECI pass through is optional and it would also require some additional work on the case.

BTW, why the SIDE/IDE+/BBOX/whatever have not pass through and it's on me to fix it ;)

Larry, thank you for exhaustive info about using CART-only slot.

ctirad,

glad to see you again here and glad to see your interest in making PASS THROUGH future devices.

What's about some kind of up-to-down reversed T-shaped adapter intended for using with Ide+2 (or some another device) inserted vertically and still leaving free horizontal pass through slot for future use. They may be stacked (in theory).

Edited by 130XE

What's about some kind of up-to-down reversed T-shaped adapter intended for using with Ide+2 (or some another device) inserted vertically and still leaving free horizontal pass through slot for future use. They may be stacked (in theory).

If there will be demand for that, why not. Such port extenders are common on many other platforms, anyway, so why not to make one for Atari as well.

• Like 1

The main thing is to save XE or XL virginity INTACT!!!

What's about especially intended SIO pass through extenders?

Anyway I'd like to obtain one or more ECI/CART RAM 320XE because both of my 130XE lost thair extended RAM

(when main 64k is intact) and there is a chance that RAM 320XE can fix situation.

The main thing is to save XE or XL virginity INTACT!!!

Exactly. That is the reason why I started to work on plug&play expansions.

What's about especially intended SIO pass through extenders?

The PCB would be simple, but where to get SIO connectors?

Anyway I'd like to obtain one or more ECI/CART RAM 320XE because both of my 130XE lost thair extended RAM

(when main 64k is intact) and there is a chance that RAM 320XE can fix situation.

Most probably, yes. If the bad RAM chips do not block the BUS, they can be easily replaced any overrriden by the external RAM card.

• Like 1

The COVOX cart is indeed possible and pretty simple. The only drawback is the listening address which differs from the most used one, thus some demos and MOD players cannot use the cart COVOX without patching their code.

We'll need these patches anyhow, as my Covox is installed at $D280

I asked my friedns who are into hardware development what they are thinking about the gold plated stuff and I got a lot of answers from the "it's a must" to the "it's a stupid idea". And the both of the extreme wings were very sure that they are right and also why the are right. So what about to make both versions and charge the extra money for the gold plated one?

• 2 weeks later...