IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - new IDE host adapter

drac030

DMA off is generally quicker. I've started a thread for us to put our benchmarks and comments about various media types we're testing on.

Generally yes, I know. that's why I use the F keys on my XL since the 80s. CTRL-F2 helps you getting things done quicker by 25-30%.

But this interface running a harddrive is that fast - I wonder if the A8 can digest the byte wave fast enough ...

Edit: I even use the SAV option on hard drive - it's much quicker than ramdisk.

Edited by GoodByteXL

I think I'm still getting the issue of the SDX option reverting to off.

That's normal. SDX state is not kept in NV-RAM, because it would always enforce the selected state. This is not desirable: when the user types "COLD /N" at the SDX prompt, expects a reboot with SDX switched off. This would not work, if IDE Plus BIOS restored the SDX state from NV-RAM: the SDX would come back.

Therefore the config screen only reports the SDX current state. When you do COLD /N, it will be off. When you run the binary loader, it will be off afterwards as well, because the loader switches all cartridges off. When you go to BASIC and cause coldstart, it will be off too.

To restart SDX go to the config display, press X and then Control/B.

The latest BIOS [.08] is..

GREAT! this is wonderful. the 'L' for binary games loading is nice. it logs different drives, reads subdirectories, just outstanding for the gamer. As for the DMA speeding up loading regular loading is far faster than Cassette and if I can put up with cassette loading I'm sure that I can get use to IDE 2.0 load times.

That's a thought I had too - show BLoad menu with option to go to BIOS settings instead of other way around.

One thing about the loader - if possible I think the sub-directories should list before files since most of us will probably put games in subdirs.

The (L) Loader is great. Everything loads so fast, and you never have to turn off the computer to get back to the loader. I'm finally learning more about SDX too. Before now, I had only used disk versions of Sparta. Thanks for all the good work!

The SDX command SORTDIR is your friend :)

Tut - it should be done dynamically; you add one file to the folder and the sort is out of order again. I once wrote an extended DIR command for SDX which sorted the entries on the fly if you supplied a switch (or an ENV variable): I must dig it out some time. It wouldn't cope well with several thousand entries, of course. :D

What is the easier way to copy many files from PC to IDE+?

I made a 16MB SpartaDOS disk with MakeATR PC program, I copied files on it, I attached it to Atari with SIO2SD and I copied files with copy command (it is amazing to see the speed of IDE+ compared to SIO2SD).

The biggest problem is that I have to rename hundreds of filenames to 8.3 format when I copy them to SpartaDOS disk with MakeATR.

At this stage, something like that is the only reliable way.

In time no doubt someone will do a PC-based utility that could just write a partition to whatever media you're using. Although we're talking raw writing to a device, not treating it as a volume under Windows or whatever OS.

An interim idea I have is to just populate a virtual drive in Altirra then use a PC tool to raw dump to the sectors on SD card. Of course doing that comes with the risk of trashing everything if you get it wrong.

I'm not real Sparta-savvy, but can't you use APE's PC Mirror to move your files? Even the "trial" version of APE supports copying files from the PC to the Atari (but not vice versa). You just put the files in a PC folder, select that folder from the Mirror and copy away to the IDE+2. The Atari just "sees" the Mirror as another drive, while APE does all the work.

-Larry

I made a 16MB SpartaDOS disk with MakeATR PC program, I copied files on it, I attached it to Atari with SIO2SD and I copied files with copy command (it is amazing to see the speed of IDE+ compared to SIO2SD).

The biggest problem is that I have to rename hundreds of filenames to 8.3 format when I copy them to SpartaDOS disk with MakeATR.

You might try TAR 1.5 (on SpartaDOS X Toolkit ATR). IIRC, it has some provision for mapping long filenames onto 8+3. I.e. you first tar your files on the PC (using f.e. the Total Commander), copy it the usual way to Atari hard drive, and untar there.

If you move files (or .ATRs) into a Mirror folder, you can get Windows to convert the longnames by "DIR/x>dirlist.dat". Change the CR/LF to $9B and you end up with a file of both longnames and 8.3 names that take very little tweaking with the Atari. Now, you can copy all the files (or .ATRs) from the Atari side while you eat dinner.

I think a good place to keep the longname/8.3name would be in the 'closet' - those sectors at the end of a partition that cannot be used by DOS. Do a SuperDIR on them to see what's on your HDD...

Bob

I'm not real Sparta-savvy, but can't you use APE's PC Mirror to move your files? Even the "trail" version of APE supports copying files from the PC to the Atari (but not vice versa). You just put the files in a PC folder, select that folder from the Mirror and copy away to the IDE+2. The Atari just "sees" the Mirror as another drive, while APE does all the work.

-Larry

The problem with that is we are still limited to a max of 6k/sec over SIO. This is fine for small files, but copying over a 6MB WAV file or big collections of MODs for NEO-Tracker sucks bigtime.