IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - new IDE host adapter

drac030

Ok, something you guys did with the latest firmware makes it impossible to boot disk based versions of SpartaDOS 3.2, or REALDOS.. It definitely worked with the older firmware.

With realdos, it locks up after "LOADING SIOV from OS".... And with Sparta 3.2d, it locks up after you see the OS version and Copyright message at the top of the screen.

Cannot confirm this - most likely the SIO highspeed of the IDE+ is set to high. Disk based versions of SpartaDOS have a serious bug preventing them to load when SIO is set higher than 2x. The last version SD 3.2g(x) has this bug fixed. Unfortunately, this is the not really documented version made by FTe.

Nope.. that's with high speed sio set to off. I've tried every possible change to the BIOS config. And it does the same thing with 3.2f and 3.2g....

Then I guess there's s.th. wrong with the hardware. BIOS 0.9 is working perfect in this respect and SIO transfer is more stabil using the USpeed SIO option. I just tested SD 3.2D and 3.2G from disk and PC - everything's fine with my current setup:

130XE - 320KB CS

1050 Speedy

IDE+ w/ 80GB HD & 4xOSS-Cart

SIO2PC(USB-FT232R)

PC w/ Win7-64 & AspeQt

... just tested SD 3.2D and 3.2G from disk and PC ...

Did you test it from a real disk drive?

If not, maybe s.th. is hidden here:

Not every pc system is setting up the correct baud rate determined by e.g. AspeQt, APE, you name it ...

My office pc is a amd low power system w/ 5050e cpu and when it is not really pushed to working (cpu low, chipset low) the baud rate set in AspeQt isn't what is really happening. The pc system is lowering the transfer rate down up to ca. 30% of the set baud rate and not every sio2pc interface and/or atari dos can cope with it. The sio sound of the ATARI loading s.th. from pc is very strange when this happens. It seems to be very specific to single pc system setups and might not occur with every system.

No, Im talking about booting it FROM THE HARDISC, with SDX disabled.. Worked fine with the original firmware that was shipped on the IDE Plus 2.0... Reflashed to the new 0.9 firmware, it does not work..

130XE with 320K

IDE Plus 2.0 with 800meg Hitachi Notebook drive

From SDX, copy X32D.DOS, X32F.DOS, X32G,DOS, or REAL_30.DOS to the root of your D1: partition on your hardisc.

From the D1: prompt, type BOOT [filename of whichever DOS version you just copied on there.]

Disable SDX (either in the BIOS menu, or by flipping the switch on IDE Plus 2.0 unit to the right).

Cold Boot the system.

I have tried disabling SDX, disabling External Cart, disabling UltraSpeed SIO, and changing the boot drive from D0: to D1: and back.. No change.. SpartaDos or REALDOS freeze up and never give you a D1: prompt..

Never any problems accessing the drive from SDX (either IDE Plus 2.0 internal SDX, or SIDE CART SDX)...

Ok. I feel like a total dumb ass dipshit. heh...

After I reflashed the firmware on the IDE Plus 2.0, I also reformated the hardisk using 512Bps partitions.. Can't expect Disk based versions of SpartaDOS to work with that. heh..

Thanks for the help attempts, and sorry about the trouble..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I received a second IDE to SD adapter today from Hong Kong (to replace the one which died after five minutes' use last year), and it works perfectly with IDE Plus 2.0 and a PNY 4GB SD card. Heck of a lot cheaper than CF cards.

I have a couple of those adapters I was hoping would work with MyIDE in 8-bit PIO mode but no luck. Good to know they work with IDE Plus. I imagine it performs as well as CF cards do on the Atari.

I'll have to get one of these IDE Plus interfaces. Seems like a "proper" HDD interface for these machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, after a while I have some free time so I´m testing my ideplus (finally!) . I´m new in the Sparta land or any Atari DOS for that matters but I could set two partitions, one with Sparta 4.45 and the other with MyDos. As I try to learn Sparta I wanted to transfer some ATR images (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/187482-4-atari-16mb-hard-disk-images-completed/) to the MyDos partition and booting directly form that file. So, how can I do it? It´s just a copy or is there something more?

Thanks!

P.S.: I have to say that is a fantastic piece of hardware and Sparta, a really great software.

There's no method of loading ATRs directly (yet) other than having a dedicated partition that is a copy of a floppy disk.

I developed a program "wrapper" that does it using extended Ram but it's in early stage and needs >=128K, preferably more and won't work with lots of stuff.

The best bet is to just find Xex versions of games, there's not that many games that need to be as ATRs.

• 1 month later...

Trouble with the external power connector...

I move my IDE+2 around from computer to computer quite a bit, and the small power connector won't take the abuse. Twice now, I've broken one of the wires where it crimps to the very small terminal. I've found replacement terminals at Mouser, but thought I'd see if anyone has an idea for some type of replacement connector that would be more robust. I'm as careful as I can, but I'd say this part was not designed for repetitive insertions/removals. And with fairly large fingers, it is very difficult to be really delicate with it.

Any ideas?

-Larry

Maybe make an small lead that has a more durable plug type at the end, leave inserted to IDE+2 and just connect power to the other end.

I just power mine from the computer - but then that means modifying any 800XL you want to connect it to.

Edited by Rybags

Do you mean that you modified the PBI "power connector" contacts? Don't remember exactly, but think it is #25 & 26. (?)

Does that work OK? I get pronounced color shift during activity with direct connect to an XE, especially with a real drive (as opposed to a flash card). I have no power supply issues, BTW.

Mouser has all the pieces, so I ordered several sets of the plastic parts and 50 connectors. If other options don't work out, I've got a good "backup." Mouser generally has what I want in stock and they don't ding you with a minimum order.

I'm still going to explore some alternate connection schemes -- maybe a couple of wire nuts... :grin:

-Larry

Thanks, Simius.

A little difficult to tell from the picture, but the longer plug looks like it might be a nice improvement.

Edit: I didn't originally notice the video. Yes, that should work much better, so I'll order some.

-Larry

The power mod goes to the second pin from top left on the PBI on 800XL, there's pictures around somewhere.

If you're getting colour issues when the drive is accessed then I'd say it's probably dragging too much current from the machine and you should use a dedicated power supply.

Don't want to appear ungrateful but IMO this interface would be 90% better if it just used a full-sized IDE plug.

Sure, you can't power a full sized drive from the Atari but they have seperate power plugs so can easily be powered anyway. Plus, I'm using SD cards because I gave up trying to find a laptop IDE drive at reasonable price that actually works.

Edited by Rybags

• 2 weeks later...

I've run into a small incompatibility with the IDE+2 Bios 09.

With this +2 bios, the APE Virtual MX Printer feature no longer works. I encountered this in my normal modified 800XL with the XL/XE OS, and then confirmed the same behavior in a dead-stock XE. I dropped back to bios 08 (LBA0507.COM) and it again works correctly. Can anyone else confirm that?

-Larry

• 2 weeks later...