IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - new IDE host adapter

drac030

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else found any significant incompatibilities with the IDE+2?

The only ones of significance that I've found thus far is the 32-in-1 OS and the Ultra-Speed Plus OS. The IDE+2 refuses to boot or function with either. I half-way expected this since the original KMK-JZ interface also had "issues" with these OS.

Also the Printer features of APE and AspeQt don't work. I thought originally this was a bug in AspeQt, but then I found that APE's print feature didn't work either and did more checking.

Not complaining -- but knowing these issues can save some head-scratching.

-Larry

That doesn't sound right. I was using my IDE +2 with the 32in1 OS for months until replacing with U1Meg about a week ago.

Although I had the annoying Phi2 glitches with 32in1 but that was regardless of what other things I had plugged into the machine, and didn't affect things otherwise.

There's possibility either way of hotkey clashes, but even then it shouldn't stop it working.

Can't say I tested with various OSes much, my 32in1 was just using a default XL OS for months before I pulled it out.

Edited by Rybags

In my 512K XL and in an otherwise stock XE, wouldn't boot, and after booting from an image and RESET, wouldn't be recognized (continued to recognize the D1: floppy image). I could get the config screen and make changes to it. I'll take another look with a different 32-in-1, but definitely didn't work in the stuff that I tried. I took out a stock 130XE, plugged in the IDE+2, and it booted immediately. I always keep a stock 130XE out as a "reference standard."

Phi2 glitches with 32-in-1 -- yes, I've definitely seen that before.

-Larry

That doesn't sound right. I was using my IDE +2 with the 32in1 OS for months until replacing with U1Meg about a week ago.

Although I had the annoying Phi2 glitches with 32in1 but that was regardless of what other things I had plugged into the machine, and didn't affect things otherwise.

There's possibility either way of hotkey clashes, but even then it shouldn't stop it working.

Can't say I tested with various OSes much, my 32in1 was just using a default XL OS for months before I pulled it out.

Has anyone else found any significant incompatibilities with the IDE+2?

The only ones of significance that I've found thus far is the 32-in-1 OS and the Ultra-Speed Plus OS. The IDE+2 refuses to boot or function with either. I half-way expected this since the original KMK-JZ interface also had "issues" with these OS.

Also the Printer features of APE and AspeQt don't work. I thought originally this was a bug in AspeQt, but then I found that APE's print feature didn't work either and did more checking.

Not complaining -- but knowing these issues can save some head-scratching.

-Larry

Hm, I guess there is s.th. wrong with your hardware. Especially AspeQt and Speeder Plus OS (The one from Roemer) are working fine with the IDE+.

Of course there are some let's say glitches, since the handling with the keys for the menu conflicts with some OS or software. Therefore I'd prefer the Start+Reset combination changed to Help+Reset. Reason is, that many programs, demos etc. utilize the Start key. Instead of starting the software I always end up in the IDE+ menu :|.

Second I'd prefer the Help+Reset combination taken off the console keys and changed to Shift+Reset, which is known from many software and hardware, OS, etc. to function as a cold start initializer.

These are my wishes to St. Draco, besides more partitions. :D.

And a second IDE+ ...

An update -- yes, it does work with the 32-in-1 OS module. I didn't notice that the XE that didn't work had a 65816 in it. Evidently that was the issue, and I'm waiting on confirmation of that right now. I also found that I had two other issues. First was my switching power supply. It showed good voltage during operation, but seems to cause cause the IDE+2 to work with some systems and not others. Simius cautioned me that a switching power supply could cause/exaggerate color shift, but I could see no difference in that.

It also looks like the more "stuff" inside the Atari, the more issues, even if the "stability mods" have been added. I replaced the switcher with a "Beauty Queen" and now the read/write errors are nearly gone.

What remains? The other issue that I see is that I get write errors with some CF cards but not others. I don't understand that, but that is what I get. Transcend industrial cards -- zero errors. Sandisk "regular" -- zero errors. "Extreme III" occasional write errors. I also get zero errors with real HDD's. So for now I'm limiting use to the real HDD and Transcend cards. I realize this is a small sampling of cards, but it's what I've fond on my hardware.

-Larry

Hm, I guess there is s.th. wrong with your hardware. Especially AspeQt and Speeder Plus OS (The one from Roemer) are working fine with the IDE+.

Of course there are some let's say glitches, since the handling with the keys for the menu conflicts with some OS or software. Therefore I'd prefer the Start+Reset combination changed to Help+Reset. Reason is, that many programs, demos etc. utilize the Start key. Instead of starting the software I always end up in the IDE+ menu :|.

Second I'd prefer the Help+Reset combination taken off the console keys and changed to Shift+Reset, which is known from many software and hardware, OS, etc. to function as a cold start initializer.

And a second IDE+ ...

They both plug onto the PBI, so no. Unfortunately the Ram 320XL does not have a "pass-through." Currently, the only feasible alternative is the MyIDE (preferably) internal drive. But that's a pretty good option -- the new MyIDE 4.6 beta is a vastly improved adapter/OS.

Also looks like the new Freezer has the pass-through and 512K Rambo expansion. You might check that thread if you're interested.

-Larry

Can I use the IDE plus 2.0 with the RAM upgrade 320XL? There's so much info here I can't find it if all ready been posted. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You may find that the faster IDE devices fail where the older, slower hardware does not. Noise, overshoot and such on the bus may not be 'seen' by slow devices, much like some carts fail in the same circumstance. Faster CPUs, even if they are running at 1.79MHZ may see things that the stock 6502 does not, or switch outputs earlier.

Bob

An update -- yes, it does work with the 32-in-1 OS module. I didn't notice that the XE that didn't work had a 65816 in it. Evidently that was the issue, and I'm waiting on confirmation of that right now. I also found that I had two other issues. First was my switching power supply. It showed good voltage during operation, but seems to cause cause the IDE+2 to work with some systems and not others. Simius cautioned me that a switching power supply could cause/exaggerate color shift, but I could see no difference in that.

It also looks like the more "stuff" inside the Atari, the more issues, even if the "stability mods" have been added. I replaced the switcher with a "Beauty Queen" and now the read/write errors are nearly gone.

What remains? The other issue that I see is that I get write errors with some CF cards but not others. I don't understand that, but that is what I get. Transcend industrial cards -- zero errors. Sandisk "regular" -- zero errors. "Extreme III" occasional write errors. I also get zero errors with real HDD's. So for now I'm limiting use to the real HDD and Transcend cards. I realize this is a small sampling of cards, but it's what I've fond on my hardware.

-Larry

And a second IDE+ ...

• 3 weeks later...

I was poking around in box of junk this morning and discovered a project box ideal for IDE Plus 2.0. I can't remember where I got it from, but it appears to be one of the few enclosures known to mankind suitable to house this device:

post-21964-0-68209100-1327851047_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-18965100-1327851051_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-87340000-1327851054_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-58710600-1327851058_thumb.jpg

Needless to say a lot of dremel work was required. I'm quite pleased with the hole for ICD connector on the bottom, although the connector itself is rendered more or less useless by the bulk of the casing, unless you prop the XL up on a book or plank of wood. In any case, I just kept the ICD connector because I couldn't be bothered to remove it and if I hadn't made an aperture for it, the 2mm thick plastic of the case would have made the XE connector a bit too high.

The saner XL ribbon cable connector is routed through a slit in one of the end plates. I just need to cut a hole for the activity LED and the secondary cartridge slot. I'm in no special hurry to do the latter, since in order to clear a cartridge's case, a huge chunk of the enclosure around the cartridge header will have to be cut away. I fear it may look rather ugly.

In any case, this is normally used with the 1200XL, so the secondary cartridge slot isn't really an urgent requirement. Oh - the SDX selector switch will also need to be remotely mounted, since its ingenious positioning means it's nowhere near any of the enclosure walls. :)

Did anyone ever design a label for the IDE Plus - just in case any ever got cased up?

Edited by flashjazzcat

I was poking around in box of junk this morning and discovered a project box ideal for IDE Plus 2.0. I can't remember where I got it from, but it appears to be one of the few enclosures known to mankind suitable to house this device:

post-21964-0-68209100-1327851047_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-18965100-1327851051_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-87340000-1327851054_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-58710600-1327851058_thumb.jpg

Needless to say a lot of dremel work was required. I'm quite pleased with the hole for ICD connector on the bottom, although the connector itself is rendered more or less useless by the bulk of the casing, unless you prop the XL up on a book or plank of wood. In any case, I just kept the ICD connector because I couldn't be bothered to remove it and if I hadn't made an aperture for it, the 2mm thick plastic of the case would have made the XE connector a bit too high.

The saner XL ribbon cable connector is routed through a slit in one of the end plates. I just need to cut a hole for the activity LED and the secondary cartridge slot. I'm in no special hurry to do the latter, since in order to clear a cartridge's case, a huge chunk of the enclosure around the cartridge header will have to be cut away. I fear it may look rather ugly.

In any case, this is normally used with the 1200XL, so the secondary cartridge slot isn't really an urgent requirement. Oh - the SDX selector switch will also need to be remotely mounted, since its ingenious positioning means it's nowhere near any of the enclosure walls. :)

Did anyone ever design a label for the IDE Plus - just in case any ever got cased up?

I have been thinking about the Pac-tek LH64-130 which is 4.2" x 6.1" x 1.5" and is available in bone and black. The removable panel the ECI connector would exit through is 0.11" thick and fits flush with the outside of the case.

LH64-130.jpg

http://www.pactecenc...d=48&classid=26

The usable interior width is 5" due to the case screw placement, the IDE Plus 2.0 device is 4.65" wide.

The interior depth is 3.97" while the IDE Plus 2.0 is 3.3", 3.65" including the extra depth for a cartridge.

The main issue is with height, if the XL card-edge connector is left on it would need to project through a slot in the bottom, this could leave the case weak since there would only be a small ribbon of material left on one end of the slot. I would recommend removal of the card-edge connector on Revision C models to eliminate the need for this slot.

Because of the placement of the case screws the easiest exit point for the PBI cable would be above the XE ECI connector, which would require a fold.

The side the ECI connector would exit on is a removable panel which would be easy to modify for the ECI connector/PBI cable.

I've not done anything with mine - one thought is to use an old HDD enclosure after some hacking away.

The switch is a stopping point though. I suppose I can live with limited access - as it is I'm using SD cards and have to pull the adaptor off to change cards anyway.

I have been thinking about the Pac-tek LH64-130 which is 4.2" x 6.1" x 1.5" and is available in bone and black. The removable panel the ECI connector would exit through is 0.11" thick and fits flush with the outside of the case.

LH64-130.jpg

http://www.pactecenc...d=48&classid=26

The usable interior width is 5" due to the case screw placement, the IDE Plus 2.0 device is 4.65" wide.

The interior depth is 3.97" while the IDE Plus 2.0 is 3.3", 3.65" including the extra depth for a cartridge.

The main issue is with height, if the XL card-edge connector is left on it would need to project through a slot in the bottom, this could leave the case weak since there would only be a small ribbon of material left on one end of the slot. I would recommend removal of the card-edge connector on Revision C models to eliminate the need for this slot.

Because of the placement of the case screws the easiest exit point for the PBI cable would be above the XE ECI connector, which would require a fold.

The side the ECI connector would exit on is a removable panel which would be easy to modify for the ECI connector/PBI cable.

Looks good. I've got that bookmarked, since I'm not entirely happy with the height of the enclosure I've used. I might have a try.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hi FJC-

Nice work! Are you planning on bringing the "Activity" LED out to be visible, or just leave it "dark?"

-Larry

(snip...)

Nice work! Are you planning on bringing the "Activity" LED out to be visible, or just leave it "dark?"

Thanks Larry! Yes - I surely will bring the light out, but other than that I don't want to hard-wire anything until I'm sure this is its permanent home. For a single CF adapater, I'm wondering if this could be rotated 180 degrees so that the card could be slotted in the endplate. The cartridge aperture is still an issue, too.

Still waiting for a talented graphic designer to come up with a label for this thing. :)

Is everyone pretty happy with the latest firmware and SDX flash versions for this thing? I haven't seen anyone talking about any continued development on it recently. Mine still has all the "factory" stuff flashed on it, and I was wondering if I should update it. Any oppinions on this?

KMK sent me a preliminary APT BIOS for IDE Plus about three months ago which I have been using ever since. I updated the partitioning software to work with it in a matter of days, but have heard not a thing since then. All the software's ready to go as soon as the BIOS goes public.

Edited by flashjazzcat