IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - new IDE host adapter

drac030

two of my 1200XLs have a full ECI bus...

to be fair two of your 1200XLs have 130XE motherboards in them ;-)

What - as well as the 1200XL motherboards? Wow!

Yeah they are cohabiting... Not really, Metalguy has 1200XL cases and the 130XE board is adapted to fit the keyboard so in essence they are 130XEs... But I'm sure he will elaborate more!

Simius has showed me design changes which correct the cable/header problem. Also, he has expressed the willingness to add an aditional connector where those who want to can hook up an additional 6-wire cable to provide the extra signals (from inside the XL) that are necessary for full SpartaDOS X functionality, the same as if the device was plugged into an XE.

So at this point, If anyone is still undecided (because of the cabling issues I brought up earlier in the thread) then you should know that as far as I'm concerned, the design is now satisfactory to me, and meets existing PBI connection standards (and then some)..

So if you want one, go for it.. It should hook up to an XL just fine, and anyone who prefers a ribbon connection to a hard-plugged edge connector can use customary connection solutions to do so. There should not be a problem at all.

Everyone should THANK him for LISTENING to the concerns of the user base, and altering his design to make this interface the best it can be, for the most people.

Simius has showed me design changes which correct the cable/header problem. Also, he has expressed the willingness to add an aditional connector where those who want to can hook up an additional 6-wire cable to provide the extra signals (from inside the XL) that are necessary for full SpartaDOS X functionality, the same as if the device was plugged into an XE.

So at this point, If anyone is still undecided (because of the cabling issues I brought up earlier in the thread) then you should know that as far as I'm concerned, the design is now satisfactory to me, and meets existing PBI connection standards (and then some)..

So if you want one, go for it.. It should hook up to an XL just fine, and anyone who prefers a ribbon connection to a hard-plugged edge connector can use customary connection solutions to do so. There should not be a problem at all.

Everyone should THANK him for LISTENING to the concerns of the user base, and altering his design to make this interface the best it can be, for the most people.

Is the 6th connection for the +5V missing from the 800XL PBI?

If it is then this device would be compatible with a stock 800XL when used with a cartridge port adapter like I mentioned in post #134, no need to add +5V to the PBI.

I know this would cost more than connecting a cable directly to signals on the motherboard, I am just saying that anyone who wants to could make their own adapter to allow full use of the device, including SDX/RT8, with an 800XL which hasn't had such a cable added. The adapter could be made from a cartridge circuit board, I have some aftermarket 16K bare boards purchased from B&C which could be modified for this purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the 6th connection for the +5V missing from the 800XL PBI?

If it is then this device would be compatible with a stock 800XL when used with a cartridge port adapter like I mentioned in post #134, no need to add +5V to the PBI.

I know this would cost more than connecting a cable directly to signals on the motherboard, I am just saying that anyone who wants to could make their own adapter to allow full use of the device, including SDX/RT8, with an 800XL which hasn't had such a cable added. The adapter could be made from a cartridge circuit board, I have some aftermarket 16K bare boards purchased from B&C which could be modified for this purpose.

This sounds like a good idea and removes the need to do any internal wiring on the 800XL.

Let me see if I have any carts I can use ... ET? no, their holding up the shelf until the remodeling is done, Pac-Man? no, too much fun, Matterhorn? That ought to work, anyone have one I can use?. JK :P

Simius, thanks for a great project and for adjusting your design. :thumbsup:

Corrected typo. :P

Edited by Defender II

• 2 weeks later...

I thanked Simius by ordering one from him today!

Firedawg

Cannot wait! I will never go back to using SIO on the little Atari again. The difference between even 6X SIO and a good hard drive (currently getting 60+k/sec) is like the difference between cassette and floppy. It's like having absolutely everything load from cart.

PCB's already assembled:

ide20.jpg

Next week will be tested/programmed and shipped.

O.O

well, hellllooo nurse!!!

(yes if you were thinking of wakko, you got the ref ;')

ok now i will go sit by the mail box and wait...

(last time this happened, the kids had to bring my meals out to me... and mrs wasnt happy...)

sloopy.