IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Nice find on the Crazy Climber, plaidbrad!

Had a few decent finds over the weekend.

1942 for NES - $3.00

Nights into Dreams for Saturn - $5, Unfortunately no 3D controller to be found

Smurfs Save the Day for 2600 - $5, The label is pretty thrashed on this one, but for 5 bucks I can't complain.

Geez, you must not have found that stuff at the Jackson St. Goodwill - they want $20 for a Dreamcast with no cords! And don't even get me started on the Transformer comics they have in their glass case - I thought that the stack of them was priced at $50 - it turns out that's just how much the one ON TOP was marked for...

This sounds like a place that needs badly to learn the ways of the bidcase, if only to show them how much things don't sell for in the Real World.

Geez, you must not have found that stuff at the Jackson St. Goodwill - they want $20 for a Dreamcast with no cords! And don't even get me started on the Transformer comics they have in their glass case - I thought that the stack of them was priced at $50 - it turns out that's just how much the one ON TOP was marked for...

This sounds like a place that needs badly to learn the ways of the bidcase, if only to show them how much things don't sell for in the Real World.

So how does the bidcase work? I don't think any of the stores near me work this way.

One of my stores takes anything they think MIGHT be worth something and puts it in the case with an outrageous price on it. Every week they knock a little bit off the price until it finally sells. Aside from some of their initial prices that can be really ridiculous, I think it's a smart system for the store. As a buyer it can be frustrating waiting for something to come down to a reasonable price, knowing someone else is probably watching the same item.

went to a few goodwills this morning and got:

expendable for sega dreamcast(complete)$2

airforce delta for sega dreamcast(complete)$2

688 attack sub for sega genesis(complete)75 cents

nintendo ds power plug(1st party)$1

Not only that, but the sign above their CDs says "CDs priced as marked" - and none are priced. I would be okay with this if they would just sell any disc that isn't marked for $2, but if it is a game, you just get surprised up at the register. It all depends on who is ringing it up. :x

Went to the one out on Ireland Rd in South Bend and picked up Space Invaders for the 5200 and a N64 controller for $2 apiece, though. :)

i never get to the goodwills in south bend anymore,i just never have the time(i would really like to go to the big one on westren ave again)i usually hit the ones here in elkhart to/ from work every couple days.actually,i did get the dreamcast games from the jackson st goodwill.there is one woman cashier(mid 30's,blond hair)that if i take any cd game to the register and its not priced,she always charges $2.i avoid the younger girls as they always seem to "make up"a price,and its usually a high price.yeah,that loose dreamcast has been everywhere in that store.i seen it sitting in the toy area,no price,so i ask and they told me $30 :roll: i guess since then it has been sitting in the case.that jackson st goodwill is funny,there pricing(or lack of) is crazy.but i do find good stuff sometimes. nice finds at the sb goodwill.i hardly ever see 5200 stuff at goodwills anymore.

Of course, after I posted that, I wound up going to the Ireland Rd., Grape, and Concord Mall-area goodwills - the one around concord mall had a Need For Speed Sega Saturn case that had three games in it (none particularly exciting - VF2, some football game, and something else - none of them were NFS) and was marked for $2. I figured I'd go ahead and pick it up since my previous NFS case was obliterated in 2002 by my idiot roommate (CD was still okay).

I brought it up to the cash register where the woman proceeded to look at the case, asks me if it is a game, and then walks over to the phone to see if she could up the price! So now it isn't even safe to assume that the sticker price is what you'll be charged - it may just be a ploy! :twisted: Elkhart Goodwilling just isn't what it used to be...

yeah,i have had that happen at the goodwill by the concord mall,several times by the same lady,a short older lady with glasses.every time i take a game up to the register thats priced under $4 she always says,"thats not right,i know they sell for more than that"and every time she does a price check,they tell her thats the right price.i finally,after the 4th or 5th timei asked to speak to the manager about it,and the mananger was sorry and said there has been similar complaints.i was also given some 15% off coupons for my trouble.

went to a few goodwills this morning and got:

expendable for sega dreamcast(complete)$2

airforce delta for sega dreamcast(complete)$2

688 attack sub for sega genesis(complete)75 cents

nintendo ds power plug(1st party)$1

Not only that, but the sign above their CDs says "CDs priced as marked" - and none are priced. I would be okay with this if they would just sell any disc that isn't marked for $2, but if it is a game, you just get surprised up at the register. It all depends on who is ringing it up. :x

Went to the one out on Ireland Rd in South Bend and picked up Space Invaders for the 5200 and a N64 controller for $2 apiece, though. :)

i never get to the goodwills in south bend anymore,i just never have the time(i would really like to go to the big one on westren ave again)i usually hit the ones here in elkhart to/ from work every couple days.actually,i did get the dreamcast games from the jackson st goodwill.there is one woman cashier(mid 30's,blond hair)that if i take any cd game to the register and its not priced,she always charges $2.i avoid the younger girls as they always seem to "make up"a price,and its usually a high price.yeah,that loose dreamcast has been everywhere in that store.i seen it sitting in the toy area,no price,so i ask and they told me $30 :roll: i guess since then it has been sitting in the case.that jackson st goodwill is funny,there pricing(or lack of) is crazy.but i do find good stuff sometimes. nice finds at the sb goodwill.i hardly ever see 5200 stuff at goodwills anymore.

Of course, after I posted that, I wound up going to the Ireland Rd., Grape, and Concord Mall-area goodwills - the one around concord mall had a Need For Speed Sega Saturn case that had three games in it (none particularly exciting - VF2, some football game, and something else - none of them were NFS) and was marked for $2. I figured I'd go ahead and pick it up since my previous NFS case was obliterated in 2002 by my idiot roommate (CD was still okay).

I brought it up to the cash register where the woman proceeded to look at the case, asks me if it is a game, and then walks over to the phone to see if she could up the price! So now it isn't even safe to assume that the sticker price is what you'll be charged - it may just be a ploy! :twisted: Elkhart Goodwilling just isn't what it used to be...

yeah,i have had that happen at the goodwill by the concord mall,several times by the same lady,a short older lady with glasses.every time i take a game up to the register thats priced under $4 she always says,"thats not right,i know they sell for more than that"and every time she does a price check,they tell her thats the right price.i finally,after the 4th or 5th timei asked to speak to the manager about it,and the mananger was sorry and said there has been similar complaints.i was also given some 15% off coupons for my trouble.

Sometimes you can get lucky. I found a PRISTINE pair of N64 controllers with perfect analog sticks with no price at all. This GW NEVER has game stufff usually. I took them to a register, and asked "How much for these OLD game controllers?" The lady said, "How about $2.00 each?" :D

Edited by SRGilbert

cool find on the n64 controllers,sr gilbert!! most of the time when i find any nintendo 64 controllers at goodwill there in poor condition.went to one goodwill today(concord store)and found:

need for speed porsche unleashed for psx(game and original case)$2

mattel classic football 2:$1.00

vortex raider for commodore 64,had a u.k price tag,maybe an import?(complete,cassette tape w/case)75 cents

keystone kapers for 2600(cart only,poor label)$2.00

I almost forgot to mention that I DID find 3 Qbert TV trays while I was at the Concord Goodwill location. I had walked to the back where they keep all of their tapes (hoping to come across some classic gaming goodness) and was walking back towards the front when I happened to glace at the "other stuff"-type section there (glassware, etc) and noticed one of the enemies from Qbert - doing a doubletake, I walked back and picked them up. I don't think 75 cents apiece was too bad for them. One of them has some somewhat bad scratching (not terrible, though) and the other two look pretty good. I'll have to take pictures later today and throw them on here. :)

EDIT:

here they are:

post-1161-1185911820_thumb.jpg

Edited by atariman

Sounds like the same lady - I miss the old employees at the Jackson St. Goodwill that had been transferred over from the S.R.19 location. They were always friendly and you could rely on all games being $2.00. And yeah, the young girls that work there DO seem to just pull a number out of the air when pricing stuff. I have half a mind to complain to the manager there, but I don't think it would do much good.

The 3rd store I picked up a loose Crazy Climber for $1.95...

I hate you. I just thought you'd like to know that. :)

Aww come on, don't hate me too much. I also won $3 on the lottery. It was a lucky day, but then today someone backed into my truck that I've had a whole week. :x Thats how it goes sometimes, the latter being more the norm.

I almost forgot to mention that I DID find 3 Qbert TV trays while I was at the Concord Goodwill location. I had walked to the back where they keep all of their tapes (hoping to come across some classic gaming goodness) and was walking back towards the front when I happened to glace at the "other stuff"-type section there (glassware, etc) and noticed one of the enemies from Qbert - doing a doubletake, I walked back and picked them up. I don't think 75 cents apiece was too bad for them. One of them has some somewhat bad scratching (not terrible, though) and the other two look pretty good. I'll have to take pictures later today and throw them on here. :)

EDIT:

here they are:

post-1161-1185911820_thumb.jpg

those are nice.they look pretty cool.the only "houseware"video game stuff i ever found at goodwill was a super mario thermas for 75 cents and a pac-man glass i paid 25 cents for it.

Aww come on, don't hate me too much. I also won $3 on the lottery. It was a lucky day, but then today someone backed into my truck that I've had a whole week. :x Thats how it goes sometimes, the latter being more the norm.

Sorry, dude. I know how luck goes, though, so definitely cherish the good luck you had. The hatred of your fellow collectors is just a warm symbol of that good luck. :)

I hope the truck isn't broke too much.

Sorry, dude. I know how luck goes, though, so definitely cherish the good luck you had. The hatred of your fellow collectors is just a warm symbol of that good luck. :)

I hope the truck isn't broke too much.

No, the truck will live. We all hate each other a bit now and then. ;)

Today at the thrifts,

2nd place I went had about 20 NES carts, so I had to choose wisely, there were a bunch more I wanted, but I controlled myself and got 5 of them at $2.98 each

NES Thundercade

NES Wrath of The Black Manta

NES Mission Impossible

NES Snake Rattle & Roll

NES Tecmo World Wrestling

Also at the same spot

SMS carts bags of 2 for $1.98

Paperboy and Ghostbusters

Penguin Land and Reggie Jackson Baseball

5th place

GEN CIB Zero Tolerance $2.99

GEN CIB The Adventures of Mighty Max $2.99

GEN CIB Outrun 2019 $3.99

Also they had a Heavy Sixer for $15.99 It had a blue sticker on the pricetag meaning it had parts to it.

I asked the lady if I could see what went with it just in case it came with somthing great.

The lady came back with a plastic bag containing a flashback 2 and like 2 commons.

So I left it.

P.S.

While looking through the cart section, a kid about 12 was looking at carts next to me.

He was looking through the N64 carts.

I said "you looking for N64 games?".

He replied, "NO, NES".

I said I didnt know guys your age were into NES.

He said "yup".

I asked him if I could see what he got, he said yeah, a few basic titles.

But I was impressed the kid knew about NES. :cool:

Edited by raregamer

Also they had a Heavy Sixer for $15.99 It had a blue sticker on the pricetag meaning it had parts to it.

I asked the lady if I could see what went with it just in case it came with somthing great.

The lady came back with a plastic bag containing a flashback 2 and like 2 commons.

So I left it.

Why did you pass up the Heavy, thats not a bad price if it's in decent shape at all.

Picked up recently:

N64:

NBA Courtside boxed

NFL Quarterback Club 99 boxed

Beetle Adventure Racing! loose

NES:

Spy Hunter Boxed (rough)

TMNT II The Arcade Game boxed

Ghosts 'N Goblins loose

2600:

Berzerk shrinkwrapped

Genesis:

Sonic & Knuckles loose

Sonic 3 loose

Sonic 3D Blast loose

Edited by Wester

So I left it.

Why did you pass up the Heavy, thats not a bad price if it's in decent shape at all.

Picked up recently:

N64:

NBA Courtside boxed

NFL Quarterback Club 99 boxed

NES:

Spy Hunter Boxed (rough)

TMNT II The Arcade Game boxed

Ghosts 'N Goblins loose

2600:

Berzerk shrinkwrapped

Genesis:

Sonic & Knuckles loose

Sonic 3 loose

Sonic 3D Blast loose

I wanted to have it , but my budget this week cant' cut it.

N64:

GAH! I've been looking for that game for weeks and weeks! Nice.

Tip of the mitt? Where are you, Mackinaw? We seem to have a LOT of Michigan folks here! I grew up in the Sault, but have been in Lansing forever now.

I'm in Cheboygan, but I found the game in the Petoskey SA.

Today's find:

Sega Nomad with power supply, Sonic 2 cart, extra controller (Blockbuster 3-button), $7

Bad news: the plastic screen cover is broken.

Good news: the Nomad works fine

Bad news: it's a Nomad, so even though I resoldered its power plug when I opened it up to flatten out the cracked screen cover, the power plug is still flaky.

Good news: it's a NOMAD EFF YEAH! (my third)

Got some replacement screen covers and installed one yesterday. With that and some slot cleaning, it works pretty good now. I'm short one AA battery pack (though I do have a Power Back that can go with it), but now I have three good Nomads.

Nice find on the Crazy Climber, plaidbrad!

Had a few decent finds over the weekend.

1942 for NES - $3.00

Nights into Dreams for Saturn - $5, Unfortunately no 3D controller to be found

Smurfs Save the Day for 2600 - $5, The label is pretty thrashed on this one, but for 5 bucks I can't complain.

Good price for Smurf's. Do you have a Kidvid?

Had a small find last night.

Magic Darts NES 4.00 :)

Robocop 3 NES 4.00

I went in and was going to pick up Werewolf and Magic Dart's. To my suprise a 9.95 sticker was on Werewolf :roll: so I chose robocop and walked out. It's amazing what some people price games they think of as "rare" and other's they don't bother with. I really wanted werewolf but not for 10 bean's. I can't complain too much I got Magic Darts for a good price.

half off at goodwill today in my area.i didnt go because i hurt my neck at work yesterday and im in rough shape right now.but,my mom and my wife went to several goodwills and i got:

roadblasters for nes(cart only)

the lion king for genesis(game and box)

pga tour golf 2 for genesis(complete)

caesers palace for genesis(complete)

return to castle wolfenstein for xbox(complete)

bad day la for pc(brand new,unopened)

hitman blood money for pc(unopened)

a big ziplock baggie of m.u.s.c.l.e. men(hell yeah!!)

"macho king" randy savage wrestling buddy

not to bad for someone who didnt leave the house.