IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Well at Goodwill I picked up a complete Lego Racers, but that's not the big deal here. I also had a nice Freecycle score, though not videogame-related.

I picked up a 1965 (I think) Alamo Titan Mark 1 Bass Guitar with case, looks to be in decent and probably playable shape.

Also a complete 1983 Korg Poly-800 Synthesizer with original manual and synth. sounds cassettes, and also a case, power supply and headphones.

These were both free!

Sweet, got pics?

Sort of: Here's a pic of the bass, though not the actual one, that I found online:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LxVTvxRi-...LASRCrcniIkozI0

Here's the synth though....

post-6225-1192106340_thumb.jpg

Nice synth. A while back I saw a Yamaha DX-7, the synth of the 80s, at a Goodwill. But it had a couple of broken keys, and I had absolutely no idea where I would put it in my overstuffed house, so I left it.

I still kind of wish I hadn't.

Edited by skunkworx

Nice synth. A while back I saw a Yamaha DX-7, the synth of the 80s, at a Goodwill. But it had a couple of broken keys, and I had absolutely no idea where I would put it in my overstuffed house, so I left it.

I still kind of wish I hadn't.

The scariest thing about this synthesizer is that it has pegs on the side for a guitar strap, so you can play it like a guitar.....

What am I, friggin' Howard Jones or something?

found yesterday at several goodwills and a resale shop:

all 2600 games were 25 cents each at the resale shop

bezerk

phoenix

raiders of the lost ark x2

centipede x2

combat

et

pole position x2

space invaders

chopper command

adventure

enduro

amidar

bowling

super breakout

galaxian

kaboom

cosmic ark

kangaroo

warlords

circus atari

barnstorming

infiltrate

lost luggage

omega race

boxing

then at the several goodwills:

the six million dollar man bionic transport repair station(in ts original box,looks to be all there,plus there was a very nice six million dollar man figure in it as well,with his jumpsuit,socks,shoes,etc,figure is in great condition,playset in good condition,box to playset in poor shape,the 1973 six million dollar man kenner figure is going on ebay)$3

gex 3 for n64(cart only)$2

untold legends warrios code for psp(complete)$7

giga wing for dreamcast(complete)$4 (if anyone is intrested in giga wing,let me know,i would be willing to do a trade as its a double)

dragon fighter for nes(cart only)$2

the bards tale for nes(cart and booklet)$2

i think just about the only thing game...related was pete rose for 7800... i'm not sure it's rare or anything, but it was found on an island not far from me...

..not much else gamewise i've found there.

another trip i took was to this dump of a thrift merged with a dollar store in san antonio..got a doll there (lucky me), but nothing else i wanted was there.

Garage sale finds:

Boxed 5200 (terrible box) with RF and controllers (they work, but not great and will die soon I am sure).

Sega Genesis/CD with all the hookups. I got them both for $28, which doesn't seem very garage sale-y and would set the trend for the day.

The next place had a heavy 6er priced so high that I offered half of the asking price for it and still paid too much. 20 crappy games. However, it had some cool stuff with it--the controllers and paddles are original 6'ers (no hex discs, of course), a Zircom Video Command was in there, and it the RF adapter is a type I hadn't seen before:

post-6271-1192313526_thumb.jpg

It has an input for 9V DC on the side and coax to TV and and ANT. The CH3/CH4 switch might be useful for a heavy 6er. Anyway, I paid too much for it and I'll just leave it at that.

There was also this short adapter that goes from a normal 2600 9-pin to a square block of 8-pin. I Googled, but still have no idea. For another system?

post-6271-1192313544_thumb.jpg

I also bought a kick-ass 70s stereo for $10. It was an older woman selling it and she said if no one bought it, they were going to the dump. But the speakers were Radio Shack, and I was like errrr... so she offered to plug it in and it sounded AWESOME. The weird thing was that she would not come down on the price and it got to be pretty funny. So for $10 I bought the stereo, a Bass Ale glass, an IKEA lampshade/light thing and a book on how to write good. Got home and looked up the speakers and they are RS "Novas"--apparently some people like them. I know I do, though the lattice work on the front is a bit much and my girlfriend does not like their look. (She can't get rid of me now, though; the wedding is in a week!) She agrees that the sound is awesome, though.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthrea...9147&page=2

The receiver is a Reference 180R by Quadraflex, never heard of it but it looks cool. I've never really been into audio stuff, but I can see where it might have some overlap with classic gaming type items--lots of woodgrain!

Sorry, this is a longer post than I meant it to be--if anyone reading this thread would prefer I take it to a blog post, just say the word. I'm rambling a bit because I'm nervous about all the other stuff going down.

Edited by phaxda

No games this weekend (terrible weekend for finds in CT, apparently), but I did manage to find an awesome addition to my game room; a "torch" light (one of those tall, skinny floor lamps) with a lava lamp built into the... "stalk".

The lava lamp can be turned on together with the regular bulb or separately.

The wife even thinks it's awesome!

Bah, what a crappy weekend. Over the past 2 days, I stopped at 6 thrift stores, 1 pawn shop, and a flea market and the only even remotely interesting game related item I found was a stupid Pacman card game that I paid $2 for.

I'd give up thrifting completly if I'd stop reading about the good finds you guys have. I'm starting to wonder if the gas is worth it over just buying things on ebay.

8f_1.JPG

Garage sale finds:

a heavy 6er priced so high that I offered half of the asking price for it and still paid too much. 20 crappy games. However, it had some cool stuff with it--the controllers and paddles are original 6'ers (no hex discs, of course), a Zircom Video Command was in there, and it the RF adapter is a type I hadn't seen before:

post-6271-1192313526_thumb.jpg

It has an input for 9V DC on the side and coax to TV and and ANT. The CH3/CH4 switch might be useful for a heavy 6er. Anyway, I paid too much for it and I'll just leave it at that.

That's a rather rare item, an external stand-alone RF modulator (takes composite video + audio in, and outputs ch. 3 or 4 RF). You might just get your money back on that one if you list it in the marketplace. BTW, it would only work with a Heavy Sixer if the console has been modded for composite output; then this gadget would convert the signal back to RF -- but why would anyone want to do that?

I also bought a kick-ass 70s stereo for $10. <...>

The receiver is a Reference 180R by Quadraflex, never heard of it but it looks cool. I've never really been into audio stuff, but I can see where it might have some overlap with classic gaming type items--lots of woodgrain!

Another good find! Quadraflex is a well-liked brand from the '70s. My dad still uses his Quadraflex speakers as the mains in the den, and they sound great. He keeps saying he wants to replace them with some Bose crap, though. He wants something less visibly obtrusive. Edited by A.J. Franzman