IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Thanks! I'm much more of an NES-and-newer collector (I wasn't even alive when half the Atari stuff came out) but they were there and cheap and I have the system to play them on!

don't give it a second thought.. for the majority of the folks here, its about collecting and gathering the vintage and antique video game technology. we're all just gamers at heart, and everything is fair game..

old toys are also fair game.. particulary if you have to shove a battery into it, or plug it in..

I think a good rule of thumb is if you remember the commercial on Saturday morning, and didn't get it for Christmas.

if this counts.. then you must pick it up with out fail... case in point.. if I ever see that programable dump truck of the future thingy at the thrift.. then I must purchase it.. because I SOOOOOOO wanted that damn thing.. and I didn't get.. it..

understand?

then theres the general just cool stuff

such as

huge fisher price play castle with lots of people,weapons,etc,for my son and daughter to play with:$2

See... that's actually rock'n, and if that complete, and, if its old skool little people fisher price (wood body) worth considerably more than $2

as a kid of a certain age bracket.. my little people playsets were the high dollar presents of the season.. they were durable, and they've gone a couple of generations of active use..

in fact.. I find a lot of folks have a particular favorite little person

this is the one I most identified with...

DM.JPG

I've seen the recent little people.. and they are a terrible lie

Edited by BeerGnome

I think a good rule of thumb is if you remember the commercial on Saturday morning, and didn't get it for Christmas.

if this counts.. then you must pick it up with out fail... case in point.. if I ever see that programable dump truck of the future thingy at the thrift.. then I must purchase it.. because I SOOOOOOO wanted that damn thing.. and I didn't get.. it..

such as

huge fisher price play castle with lots of people,weapons,etc,for my son and daughter to play with:$2

See... that's actually rock'n, and if that complete, and, if its old skool little people fisher price (wood body) worth considerably more than $2

as a kid of a certain age bracket.. my little people playsets were the high dollar presents of the season.. they were durable, and they've gone a couple of generations of active use..

DM.JPG

That's probably the best description of my position on collecting I've seen!

What you are refering to is the Big Trak, which was an awesome toy that was way ahead of it's time. I actually had one that I got on clearance back in the day when a store was going out of business. No trailer though, they didn't have one, and I don't think I saw them in stores after that. Of course, it's one of the few toys I don't have anymore. It stopped working and I think I took it apart when I was a teenager to see if I could fix it, but no luck. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat though!

bigtrak.jpg

What I'm looking for is Sir Galaxy, a robot toy from the late 70's that was remote controlled and you could talk through him like a walkie talkie with the remote.

s_af74d78f9e5f1d7c00f0fa8848dee60b.jpg

I had that original Fisher Price Castle too, along with just about everything else Fisher Price thanks to hand-me-downs from 2 older brothers and a sister! You are right about the durability, I'll bet someone is still playing with those same toys somewhere today (Dad sold 'em in a garage sale I'm sure, except the castle, which they still have.)

You know, I don't think that little guy you show is a regular Little People, he has a square body, he should be round! Maybe that was a special version for a learning toys or something?

:)

Edited by SRGilbert

such as

DM.JPG

That's probably the best description of my position on collecting I've seen!

What you are refering to is the Big Trak, which was an awesome toy that was way ahead of it's time. I actually had one that I got on clearance back in the day when a store was going out of business. No trailer though, they didn't have one, and I don't think I saw them in stores after that. Of course, it's one of the few toys I don't have anymore. It stopped working and I think I took it apart when I was a teenager to see if I could fix it, but no luck. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat though!

bigtrak.jpg

What I'm looking for is Sir Galaxy, a robot toy from the late 70's that was remote controlled and you could talk through him like a walkie talkie with the remote.

s_af74d78f9e5f1d7c00f0fa8848dee60b.jpg

I had that original Fisher Price Castle too, along with just about everything else Fisher Price thanks to hand-me-downs from 2 older brothers and a sister! You are right about the durability, I'll bet someone is still playing with those same toys somewhere today (Dad sold 'em in a garage sale I'm sure, except the castle, which they still have.)

You know, I don't think that little guy you show is a regular Little People, he has a square body, he should be round! Maybe that was a special version for a learning toys or something?

man,i remember big trak,my brother had one back in the day.that was so cool.i wish i would find one of those at a thrift in good condition.im always picking up the old fisher price playsets for my kids when i find them in good condition,and especially when they come with the old figures and stuff.they love those toys,just like i did(do)also the original gi joe stuff and my little pony(my wife and daughter collect/play with those)

bigtrak.jpg

I got one of those for Christmas as a child with the dumpster attachment from my Grandma. I lived in a trailer then so there wasn't too many places you could play with it.

The dumpster connected to the BigTrak with what looked like a headphone jack. Eventually that piece broke off of the dumpster chassis.

I have no clue what happened to it, but I'm sure it's no longer at my parent's place.

there were quite a few variations in the little people.. since, well... around the Korean conflict..

in my image searching that was the closest picture I could find of the little dude in question..

I think most folks here who had little people play sets are of the age bracket where we would have the round peg bodies with the plastic heads.

and folks.. don't do a blanket Google image search for little people...

there were quite a few variations in the little people.. since, well... around the Korean conflict..

in my image searching that was the closest picture I could find of the little dude in question..

I think most folks here who had little people play sets are of the age bracket where we would have the round peg bodies with the plastic heads.

and folks.. don't do a blanket Google image search for little people...

I had a Fisher-Price airport playset, circa 1974, and the bodies of the peeps were in fact round. I think they were wooden, but I really can't recall. It was my fav back then though, the only thing competing with it was a Tonka contruction truck playset with a bulldozer, grater, dump-truck, crane, and pick-up.

I had that Fisher Price parking garage thing, and I recall the little people to have been round people with no arms and one wide and round leg. This was the parking garage with the little crank turntable. Don't know what it was for, but it reminded me of the game shows at the time, so I'd put a car on it and tell one of the little people that they could win a new car!

Man, I was a geek back in 1975......

Had a great weekend for finds.

Gradius III Instruction Manual SNES Free

Pong Sports 2600 .50

Cosmic Creeps 2600 2.50

Deadly Duck 2600 2.50

PS1 Controller 1.99

"The Heater" PS1 Gun 2.99

Greendog Beached Surfer Dude Gen 2.50

King of Monsters 2 Gen 2.50

Twin Cobra Gen 2.50

T2 The Arcade Game CIB Gen 2.50

Primal Rage Gen 3.00

Street Fighter II Championship Edition Gen 3.00

Yo! Noid NES 3.00

Gameboy Original and the following games for $8

F-1 Race

Sports Illustrated Championship Football and Baseball

Turn and Burn

Tetris

Roger Clemens MVP Baseball

Sega Genesis Model 3 w/hookups, 2 six button controllers and the following games for $5

Sonic 2

Evander Holyfield's Boxing

Mortal Kombat II

Caesars Palace

NBA Live 96

Frogger CIB

Sonic Spinball CIB

Sonic 3 CIB

Sonic Classics CIB

Ms. Pac-man CIB

How do you manage such regular hauls, Ghost Soldier?

I hit the thrifts/pawns twice a week and yardsale on the weekends. It helps that I have a understanding wife who loves thrifts and sales as much as I do. I think I just manage to be in the right place at the right time.

You have luck with pawns? I was asking my much-smarter-than-me wife her opinion and we decided pawns would probably be a waste of time.

This past weekend I got the following stuff at a flea mkt/garage sales. The PSX games and SNES stuff was $2 ea, the Total Control handheld was a mere $ 0.25. The PC games were bought as a box lot along with an Atari 2600 Jr (not shown) and 3 commons, all for $5. (I really don't know if any of these PC games are "standouts"....there are SO many PC games floating around.....)

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

Weird, I got a .99 6-pack for Genny at the Salvation Army today.

Also took a chance on a pair of 5200 controllers for 5.99 apiece because they looked minty. Thought I could at least send them in for refurb...but they WORK! I am truly amazed. Still, shocked at the price tag for a SA and they wouldn't budge on it. (They never do.)

Picked up Pac Man 2--the New Adventures, complete, mint

Sega six pack, and T2 at a local Goodwill, for 99 cents apiece this weekend. for the Genesis

I got one of those for Christmas as a child with the dumpster attachment from my Grandma. I lived in a trailer then so there wasn't too many places you could play with it.

The dumpster connected to the BigTrak with what looked like a headphone jack. Eventually that piece broke off of the dumpster chassis.

I have no clue what happened to it, but I'm sure it's no longer at my parent's place.

the big trak will be mine.. one day..

oh yes..

It-will-be-mine

I think that Christmas year, I was also screaming for a model railroad set. In my parants infinite wisdom, they initiated me on a long, strange, hobby that endures to this day, as one of my side things. This holiday season.. the n-scale trolley coffee table layout will be...

...at least in its coffee table format and the official scenery done!!!

yeah.. like all model railroads.. its a WIP... but that makes great model railroads in the first place..

so... I think the decision was made that I could derive more pleasure in something that let me more actively work with my hands and imagination.. then a toy that would let me make it do this, that or the other thing before getting bored, and putting it away, or destroying it trying to make it better..

to that extent, I know that more than a few of you, have a computer running that's built up from cast off parts.