IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Oh no! My 5200 doesn't fit on my system shelving! It was about to be my ninth simultaneously plugged-in system but nooo, I have to go buy more shelves first ;)

Anyway, after my few minutes of testing, I really like the 5200; I've never had one before; I hope the 7800 is as rewarding when I can get it set up!

Since we rolled over to a new page, I want to ask again incase it gets lost: my just-found-at-Goodwill 7800 was bare and I've never owned a 7800 before. I don't have a power or video cable for it. How likely is it that a 7800 would be broken? I realize anything's possible, but do they break often? I've got the Goodwill 2-day return policy, but I have no idea whether to expect it to work.

Edited by MFoolsRun

Oh no! My 5200 doesn't fit on my system shelving! It was about to be my ninth simultaneously plugged-in system but nooo, I have to go buy more shelves first ;)

This is a noble effort, and i salute you sir. There's far too much talk about people needing backwards compatibility and classic game downloads because "i don't wanna hook everything up, it's all the closet, etc, etc". I have eleven consoles hooked up to the tv in my living room at all times (thirteen if you count the extra outlet needs of the 32X and Sega CD), and my "Just for the 2600" tv in the office somehow got a PS1 and a TG-16 hooked up to it as well. Buy more shelves, buy more power strips, but don't ever back down from cramming another console onto your tv. :)

Anyway, after my few minutes of testing, I really like the 5200; I've never had one before; I hope the 7800 is as rewarding when I can get it set up!

Since we rolled over to a new page, I want to ask again incase it gets lost: my just-found-at-Goodwill 7800 was bare and I've never owned a 7800 before. I don't have a power or video cable for it. How likely is it that a 7800 would be broken? I realize anything's possible, but do they break often? I've got the Goodwill 2-day return policy, but I have no idea whether to expect it to work.

I would be more worried about finding the lousy power adapter for it. I'm sure it works.

I went back to the scene of the find to see if there was anything I'd missed, or if there was more to the collection that hadn't made it out to the floor yet and found the following:

All loose

2600:

Football

Super Football

Dodge 'Em

Flag Capture

Haunted House

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Boxing

Laser Blast

Desert Falcon

Air-Sea Battle (no end label)

Home Run

Space Invaders

Space Attack

Defender

Enduro

Asteroids

Math Gran Prix

E.T.

Pole Position

Star Wars Jedi Arena

Galaxian

Centipede

Combat (no end label, but who cares, I'm just going to shim a table leg with it)

Astroblast (someone decided the end label should be blue and colored it with a marker)

7800:

Super Skateboardin'

On-on-One Basketball

All in an ugly blue case not at all designed for games

All together, $10

/\

Im beginning to despise you.... :cool:

Espeicailly after I went to every thrift shop in town and found nothing.

I hate October thrifting, because all the teenie-boppers are out looking for Halloween costumes and they scoop the good video games up too.

I also had a crazed old man with no teeth try to snip my finger off with a rusty garden shears at one thrift shop.

I was digging around on the shelf when I see 2 rusty blades heading towards my hand. I look up to see a dirty old man who starts crackling an evil laugh that sends a chill down my spine.

Pretty funny.

I would be more worried about finding the lousy power adapter for it. I'm sure it works.

Once I had Atari 2600av, 5200av, 7800, Inty, ColecovisionAV, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis (+CD and 32x), Saturn, DC, TG-16 +CD, PSX, PS2, Jaguar, VCR, DVD player, satellite and antenna hooked to one TV. I've taken those out in the past few years, sold off some of the newer systems and put older systems away. Having all those hooked up even when not playing draws about as much power as a 150 watts bulb. Nowday I just rotate game systems whatever I felt like playing. 7800, Inty, satellite, and antenna were hooked to a Radio Shack 4 channel switch box, for the rest I had to daisy chain 6- 5 channel switch boxes and use both AV input of my TV. (max 26 AV devices)

Ran into a slew of Playstation RPGs at the flea market today, walked away with...

Chronicles of the Sword

Chrono Cross

Clock Tower II

Digimon World 3

Echo Night

Evil Dead: Hail to the King

Final Fantasy Chronicles

Final Fantasy Origins

Final Fantasy Anthology

Final Fantasy VII (complete)

Final Fantasy VII (loose)

Galerians

Gundam Battle Assault 2

Koudelka

Parasite Eve II

Persona 2

Project Overkill

Silent Hill

Star Ocean

Suikoden II (case only :x )

Vandal Hearts

Most are complete in case, a few are missing instructions. The vendor started out at $5 on the double case games and 2 for $5 on the single case games. After a bit of haggling we settled on $70 for everything. Bummer that Suikoden II doesn't have the disc, will have to sell off the two copies of FF VII to pay for a disc-only Suikoden II.

Edited by bones

allright..once again.. not techinccly a thrift find, but both second hand and Free...

two 12 inch TV's one a twoknob rotery black and white.. and the other a touchomatic style color set.. bothe decididly analog in any form and function..

they were both set outside of persons house in the ally and labled as "free" in fact the the BW set had a post it note with the snarky comment "HD!!!" on it..

cast offs of a yard sale is my assumption.. they were also set aside a will little 1200BTU window AC unit.. of opnly use I have of it would be extracting the aluminum and copper from for the tin mining.. I'll actually leave that for the nieghbor hood bum.. the trash picker, not the grifters...

well.. you'll never get a grifter to pick through the trash.. they're above that.. they just want you to give them money for standing on a street corner and pleading poverty..

but I am digressing..

the BW TV is of the perfect size and shape with a lovely nicotine yellowed Pitana its vintage to the era of the 2600

she in fact might be better suited for a repo Pong cabinet

Now I'm starting to get embarrassed.

Same Goodwill, new find, need some advice on some of it.

Atari2600jr with power adapter $8

This system is a little beat up; one of the prongs that holds the carts in place is broken off and the cartridge slot in general has some other broken plastic in it. The system boots just fine, but with the cosmetic damage, it might not be worth keeping. Opinions?

A set of paddles $0.50

Two 2600 controllers and a power adapter $Free (convinced them they should have gone with the bare 2600 I got the other day)

2600 Games:

Basketball

Bowling

Enduro (green label, the one I got the other day had a blue label).

$1/ea

Gamegear, beautiful shape, AC adapter included (the screen is kinda blurry, but I've never owned a Gamegear before, so I don't know how crisp the LCD is meant to be. Should it be really blurry?

The Gamegear was in a soft case with the following games:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The Majors Pro Baseball

Winter Olympic Games

Sonic 2

Outrun

Jeopardy!

Columns

Spider-Man

In one of the outer pockets there was something that calls itself a Nuby Converter (Master System cartridge converter) along with Mono Poly (??) and Black Belt for the SMS

The whole soft case and all its contents, $25

Edited by MFoolsRun

I had a good weekend for free stuff. Starting at one of my local stores I got the following for free. They where slated for the trash due to some scratches.

Re Volt Case, and Instructions No Disc DC

Crazy Taxi 2 DC Loose

Ms. Pac-man DC CD-R Loose

4x4 EVO DC Loose

Dreamcast Magazine Disc May 2000 Loose

Confidential Mission DC Loose

NFL Blitz 2001 DC Loose

Tony Hawk Pro Skater DC Loose

The following came from my step-sister who was in town visiting.

Sega Saturn w/hooks and 1 controller

Virtua Fighter 2 Sat Loose

Solar Eclipse CIB Sat

Daytona USA CIB Sat

NHL 97 CIB Sat

Street Fighter Alpha CIB Sat

Original US model Genesis with High Definition Graphics across the top, RF shields for connection with the SEGA CD, and a 9 pin serial port, $6.00.

(Not so) broken PC, $5.00

When I got it home.

Orly?

:D

Also,

Lolz turbo.

Both are Goodwill finds.

We had a computer like that...What's in there, a 486?

I see a CD drive... It's Actually probably around 200Mhz, probably...

EDIT AGAIN!

I'm a dumbass, I could have just looked at the LCD display. I was close, 166Mhz.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

I haven't been posting my finds from the last couple of weeks but today made me happy. Found a few SNES at a pawn, nothing major but later I went into an old video store on the off chance that they had some stuff and found some goodies for the N64.

-Zelda: Majoras Mask CIB

-Bomberman 64 w/box

-Mega Man 64 w/box

-Donkey Kong 64 w/box

-Tetrispheres w/box

-Banjo Kazooie w/box

All for $10

Genesis:

Sonic 2

NES:

Tiger-Heli w/inst

SMB2

SMB/DH

Super C w/inst

Bible Adventures w/inst

Game Genie w/book

Zapper

Power supply

Some random SNES manuals.

PSX:

Final Fantasy VII Black label, complete.

All for about $9.50