IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

One of the more lucky days for me at Goodwill today, someone must've dropped off their dreamcast and games yesterday (good thing they're mixed in with the music CD's so no one immediately sees them):

Dreamcast games ($2 each):

Blue Stinger

Power Stone

Spider-man

Tomb Raider The last Revelation

EGG: Elemental Gimmick Gear

Toy Commander

They also had about 10 SNES games, though they were mostly sports titles and the Super Star Wars games so I passed on those.

The Dreamcast games seem to have dipped in value. I got a Powerstone 2 for about $2-$3, and both Powerstones used to go for more. I know Grandia 2 wasn't rare, but I got that earlier in the summer complete and near mint for about $4.

Well, latest Goodwill run was somewhat worthwhile:

• Panasonic 3DO FZ-10 with 2 controllers - One of the controllers has been spliced to be longer and the 3DO has some scratches, but it works great - 13.99
  • 3DO - The Need For Speed - In case with manual - 3.00
  • 3DO - Shockwave - In case with manual - 3.00
  • 3DO - Shockwave 2 - In case with manual - 3.00
  • Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure - 3.00
  • Dreamcast - Sega Rally 2 - 3.00

Probably overpaid for the games. Shockwave is meh. But The need for speed and Sonic Adventure I'm not going to complain about.

I realized too that I've seen at least 3 3DO FZ-1's at the various Goodwills around her in the past 8 months without realizing it. I though the damn things were VCRs. Ha.

One of the more lucky days for me at Goodwill today, someone must've dropped off their dreamcast and games yesterday (good thing they're mixed in with the music CD's so no one immediately sees them):

Dreamcast games ($2 each):

Blue Stinger

Power Stone

Spider-man

Tomb Raider The last Revelation

EGG: Elemental Gimmick Gear

Toy Commander

They also had about 10 SNES games, though they were mostly sports titles and the Super Star Wars games so I passed on those.

The Dreamcast games seem to have dipped in value. I got a Powerstone 2 for about $2-$3, and both Powerstones used to go for more. I know Grandia 2 wasn't rare, but I got that earlier in the summer complete and near mint for about $4.

Dreamcast games have really dropped due to piracy. Only true collectors actually buy Dreamcast games.

All the sudden I've been buying dc games. Overpaid ($7) for a qbert this weekend, near mint though.

Saw a 3do FZ1 for $60 with a stack of crap loose games yesterday. Offered $25... they stuck to the price, said it's worht $100 :( I've gone one coming in a deal I just have to pay for (if those gosh dern eBayers would just fork over the money for their wins). I'm missing having ANY 3do right now.

AX

Dreamcast games have really dropped due to piracy. Only true collectors actually buy Dreamcast games.

True. I also have a theory I've been working on.

Why are PS1's and Dreamcasts so cheap these days?

I think there is a consistent wave effect when it comes to classic gaming that will be forever going.

25 years ago - Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision - Layin Low.

Somewhat uncommon, but cheap. Most sellers don't remember what these carts are for.

15 years ago - Nintendo, Genesis, SNES - The Current "Classic". [sECOND wave]

Very common, and expensive (compared to 2600 carts). The spread of the "word" and the fashionably of collecting classics is catching on. :(

10 years ago - PS1, Dreamcast - "That's old."

This is the prime time for collecting these types. No one wants them. They haven't hit classic status yet, they are considered old news. :)

5 years ago - Wii, PS2, PS3 - Today's games. [FIRST wave]

Obviously very high priced, and not too desirable (mostly) by classic gamers.

This trend will continue forever: once today's games are considered "old", they'll be 5 for $1 (slight exaggeration). PS1, Dreamcast will be considered classic and once again desirable by this new generation. Nintendo, Genesis, SNES, will move to "what are these?" status. And the current 2600 status will evolve to a THIRD wave where they will be highly desirable antiques and shown on those evaluation shows.

"Ahhhh...what you have here is an Atari twenty-six hundred, I believe. They used to call this a Heavy-Sixer. Of course we can't see it in action because we don't have the proper inputs, but people had to use their imagination with moving blocks. That's worth about--you can still read what the switches are for, looks nice--$5,000."

Of course, every theory has some holes. Simple supply-and-demand factors in. Insane sellers thinking "it's ancient, so it's got to be worth $200".

-----

Slow at the Fleaz lately. However, I did see a 7800 for the first time. I don't have one. Passed on a combo deal NES with 7800 for $25. Why? No games for both & no AC for the 7800. So it looks like my lone 7800 Asteroids cart is going to have to wait even longer.

Piracy probably does have something to do with it, though with $2-$3 per game these days, you think it would be less hassle to simply buy the game.

I'm not so sure how much of a renaissance we will see with the PS1 and Dreamcast games, except for certain titles. One thing that does not age well at all is 3D graphics. 2D games, when done artistically well, stand the test of time better, imho. Right now, SNES and genesis games are mostly on the cheap around here, but I expect the value to go up in a few years.

I think there is a consistent wave effect when it comes to classic gaming that will be forever going.

25 years ago - Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision - Layin Low.

Somewhat uncommon, but cheap. Most sellers don't remember what these carts are for.

15 years ago - Nintendo, Genesis, SNES - The Current "Classic". [sECOND wave]

Very common, and expensive (compared to 2600 carts). The spread of the "word" and the fashionably of collecting classics is catching on. :(

10 years ago - PS1, Dreamcast - "That's old."

This is the prime time for collecting these types. No one wants them. They haven't hit classic status yet, they are considered old news. :)

5 years ago - Wii, PS2, PS3 - Today's games. [FIRST wave]

Obviously very high priced, and not too desirable (mostly) by classic gamers.

This trend will continue forever: once today's games are considered "old", they'll be 5 for $1 (slight exaggeration). PS1, Dreamcast will be considered classic and once again desirable by this new generation. Nintendo, Genesis, SNES, will move to "what are these?" status. And the current 2600 status will evolve to a THIRD wave where they will be highly desirable antiques and shown on those evaluation shows.

"Ahhhh...what you have here is an Atari twenty-six hundred, I believe. They used to call this a Heavy-Sixer. Of course we can't see it in action because we don't have the proper inputs, but people had to use their imagination with moving blocks. That's worth about--you can still read what the switches are for, looks nice--$5,000."

Of course, every theory has some holes. Simple supply-and-demand factors in. Insane sellers thinking "it's ancient, so it's got to be worth $200".

-----

Slow at the Fleaz lately. However, I did see a 7800 for the first time. I don't have one. Passed on a combo deal NES with 7800 for $25. Why? No games for both & no AC for the 7800. So it looks like my lone 7800 Asteroids cart is going to have to wait even longer.

I've got a really nice deal I will be sharing soon.

I will be a bit busy until Sunday. Once I get a moment I'll snap some pics and send you all a great one! :)

Just thought I'd share my find with you.

I wanted to make sure it was in my hands prior to mentioning anything. However, this is a lot that I got from Craigslist for $100.

I was going to just get the games (I have too many systems as it is) but talked to the owner and decided to buy the whole lot for his asking price of $100

In the ad, it was not listed as having some of the games that you see in the picture. I asked for a picture to be sent to my hotmail as I could not even see the craiglist ad picture well enough to make out the games. In the ad, Montezuma's Revenge was listed as being in the lot. So I was kind of interested in grabbing it for that and the pitfall 2 and Rampage boxes. Imagine my surprise when I opened the picture in hotmail to find the real star of this lot.

I'll let you find it as well :D (and no... it is not the combat cart)

Yes... all manuals are there as well! :)

post-3390-1249875694_thumb.jpg

Edited by EricDeLee

Wow, congrats on your awesome find! And to think that you and I share the same Craigslist! I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that add too :(

I will be a bit busy until Sunday. Once I get a moment I'll snap some pics and send you all a great one! :)

I wanted to make sure it was in my hands prior to mentioning anything. However, this is a lot that I got from Craigslist for $100.

I was going to just get the games (I have too many systems as it is) but talked to the owner and decided to buy the whole lot for his asking price of $100

In the ad, it was not listed as having some of the games that you see in the picture. I asked for a picture to be sent to my hotmail as I could not even see the craiglist ad picture well enough to make out the games. In the ad, Montezuma's Revenge was listed as being in the lot. So I was kind of interested in grabbing it for that and the pitfall 2 and Rampage boxes. Imagine my surprise when I opened the picture in hotmail to find the real star of this lot.

If I found a Qberts Qubes in the box for $100 alone I'd crap my pants on the spot...

AX

If I found a Qberts Qubes in the box for $100 alone I'd crap my pants on the spot...

AX

I practically did.

It was like the other time I owned a box Qubes.

I bought the game in a small lot from Ebay. The game was clearly shown in the lot of 40 or so other games. Along with a system. I won it for a fairly okay price (less than $80).

Then, when I got the box in the mail I just let it sit there for a while. i never bothered to open it for about a week or two. Once I did, right on top was a Qbert Qubes box staring at me. Never was it mentioned in the ebay auction! When I opened the box it was filled with all of the manuals for all of the games. The Qubes manual was the last one and in perfect shape! I was very happy about that one, and this deal is pretty nice as well.

Nice find! See, now that's why I always try to pounce on Craigslist lots when I can. You just never know what you will get out of it. :)

Yeah, I've got a similar theory - the "two systems away" theory. This is based on parents making the decisions to throw things away. Last gen system goes in the kid's bedroom... parents are reluctanct to throw it away because they still remember how expensive it was. The gen before that is just junk. ;)

I've just started to see Xboxes & PS2's around thrifts, but at kooky prices. They're still last gen, so retain an artificial value. Stuff before that like PS1 & Dreamcast are pretty well worthless in people's eyes. Anything before that "must" be worth something to a collector... sellers have an exagerrated idea of what old stuff is worth based on Ebay stories and Antiques Roadshow. That's why you'll see Genesis games at $6.99 each at the Goodwill.

I've found that the theory has held for years for me... of course the fun is finding the exceptions. ;)

Yeah, I've got a similar theory - the "two systems away" theory. This is based on parents making the decisions to throw things away. Last gen system goes in the kid's bedroom... parents are reluctanct to throw it away because they still remember how expensive it was. The gen before that is just junk. ;)

I've just started to see Xboxes & PS2's around thrifts, but at kooky prices. They're still last gen, so retain an artificial value. Stuff before that like PS1 & Dreamcast are pretty well worthless in people's eyes. Anything before that "must" be worth something to a collector... sellers have an exagerrated idea of what old stuff is worth based on Ebay stories and Antiques Roadshow. That's why you'll see Genesis games at $6.99 each at the Goodwill.

I've found that the theory has held for years for me... of course the fun is finding the exceptions. ;)

Backwards compatibility might have something to do with it too. I don't know about PS1 emulation on a PS3 but if you have a good PS2 and want to play some PS1 games, you don't need the machine. PS1's are becoming the genesis's of a few years ago. Every thrift has a half dozen or more piled up. No one's buying them.

So I found a V-tech system with games and controllers for $5. That's gonna go up on CL. It wasn't a great day for gaming stuff, but check out the sign I found. It's from an arcade that closed down a few years ago here in Chicago, but the sign remained in place. I'd always looked at this sign and admired it, wondering what would eventually happen to it. I drove by today and it was gone. I figured it was probably bashed up or hauled off, but I knew that I'd regret it if I didn't at least cruise by the dumpsters. There it was, lovely and unbroken!

post-152-1249946236_thumb.jpg

Thanksfully it wasn't in its metal coke-bottle shaped frame otherwise, I'd never have gotten it home. As such I ran to a nearby UPS store and bought some packing tape and taped it to my car. Good thing I drive a beater. Drove home nice and slow, very pleased with what cost me $3 for the packing tape...

I'm guessing that the sign could be as old as the 80's. Still no match for the other arcade sign I also found - this one is more of an old CHicago arcade institution because it's just so damned bizzarre...

post-152-1249946457_thumb.jpg

Now I guess I just need to change my name to Dennis and open my own arcade. Or maybe I'll just open a snack bar in my building's laundry room. ;)

Edited by gulag picture radio

I got my first flea market buy, I think i got ripped of by a buck or 2... D:

But I got Top gun with an Offcial nintendo sleeve, witch raised the value by a buck i think. Since nintendo sleeves are harder to find and whatnot, so not a total loss.

I'm a bit late but this stuff was found over the weekend, I've wanted to share my finds but got busy. Most trade or ebay, a few keepers and a lot of fun finding it all...I love that feeling like when I walked up to that Cube game and they said 3 bucks or when I saw that Nightmare Before Christmas doll which I knew my daughter would like. Things like this make my week, not exacly like finding a boxed Qubes that you didn't even know was there but we all take it where and when we can get it.

post-4103-1249978514_thumb.jpg

$5 Amway Metal Truck "shop without going shopping" LOL!

$1 Jack Skellington Doll - my daughter got her hands on that though

$5 Both Genesis games: Streets of Rage 2 and Street Fighter II Championship Edition

$2 Janis Joplin CD (for my collection)

$3 Gamecube Pokemon Colosseum Jirachi Bonus Disc, Complete and Nice (I can't decide on this one, I collect for cube and don't have it but also like $30+ dollars)

$12 SIX DVDS: Raiders Complete History 2 Disc Set, Some Surfing with 3 Discs inside, Marilyn Manson, Korn 2 Disc Set, The Breaks (thought it may be out of print since it's on Artisan but nope and finally some XMAS DVD that I thought may be out of print but again, nope. Some for ebay here, some trade.

$1 Devil's Advocate DVD (The Out Of Print version that has something to do with a statue in it that they didn't have permission to use, it was very scratched and I had it buffed but it doesn't play properly in my PS2 although plays good on my regular stand alone DVD player, what a shame. $3 waste, paid 2 to buff it, oh well.

$7 Pokemon Crystal Gameboy Color with working save, I know now, lol!

$10 Animal Crossing Wild World - paid too much for resale since I already have it but I thought my son would have fun transferring or "stealing" their money & stuff

but again, foiled! They had the smallest house, no stuff, 12 bells and nothing in savings. My son appreciated I tried for him though so oh well again.

$5 SIX BOOKS: 2 Forgotten Realms D&D books that had three big fold out maps in them, Ghost in the Shell with all eight in one I believe which is very neat, Fallen Angel graphic novel which I never heard of, a Star Wars vehicle and vessel book and some weird Vampire Hunter's Handbook which is really silly but neat and quirky.

$15 PS3 Soul Calibur IV in nice complete condition which I didn't care for and overspent but my brother gave me $15 and he's happy so it's cool and I helped him out on that but thought it may do something more on ebay, wrong again.

$10 PS3 Ninja Gaiden Sigma also in nice complete condition

$10 FOUR DVDs which I would not be allowed to show the covers of here at AA or "regular" ebay ;)

------------

$96 TOTAL SPENT

Edited by SpendTooMuchOnAtari

I like the Amway toy truck... have you noticed that they've started calling themselves Amway again lately? I guess they think it's been long enough that we've all forgotten the pyramid-schemey nature of it.

Where did you find the unshowable DVDs? I've never seen anyone put those out at yard sales!