IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I'm going "hunting" this afternoon at a couple of local spots. I have a good feeling that I'm gonna find some good stuff. If anyone local to me wants that CD-I, go for it. It's at the Goodwill in Quincy, MA. It's stacked up with the VCR's. :lol:

And those 3D0 and Steel Battalion finds look awesome!

My Craigslist score...going to pick up in a 1/2 hour...

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/vgm/1347440985.html

Wow - I couldn't believe how pristine these carts were. I don't know if you can see it in the pix...

Also I picked up a Game Gear and games...you folks tell me how much I should have paid cuz I have no idea...

post-22552-125150491851_thumb.jpg

post-22552-125150497247_thumb.jpg

post-22552-125150504608_thumb.jpg

post-22552-125150507005_thumb.jpg

My Craigslist score...going to pick up in a 1/2 hour...

http://harrisburg.cr...1347440985.html

Wow - I couldn't believe how pristine these carts were. I don't know if you can see it in the pix...

Also I picked up a Game Gear and games...you folks tell me how much I should have paid cuz I have no idea...

I usually judge the value based on how much of it is new to my collection. From selling Atari systems on CL, I'd expect to get maybe $50-75 for a lot like that, not counting the Game Gear, which might get around $30 on it's own.

I'd pay maybe $20-25 for the GG stuff and $40 or so for the Atari stuff. That's not to day that it isn't worth more, but I'm cheap, and all of those VCS games are common. If you didn't already have a VCS though, then $50 for it certainly wouldn't be a bad price (just more than I would probably pay, depending on how bad I wanted it.)

I see that the Game Gear included one of those shade/magnifier deals. I generally think that things like that are stupid, but in the case of that particular item, it works GREAT. The GG's don't have great screens but that thing really helps a lot, so don't dismiss it out of hand if you aren't normally into that sort of thing. And I don't know how common Shinobi is, but it's a cool game to get with a bundle like that. It's also nice that you got a case with it.

So, how much did everything set you back?

Chris

No dude that's more than about right. That's a great deal, especially for the Atari. Also for the GG though. Try to buy a Game Gear with all of that stuff through normal channels, and it is going to cost more than that, plus $10-15 for shipping. And as far as the Atari goes, that's like paying $1 each for the games and getting everything else for free.

Chris

So, how much did everything set you back?

Chris

$25 for the Atari and $25 for the Game Gear. From what I've read here and other places the price is about right.

Not bad at all, especially with all those manuals. Those are often just tossed out or ruined while everything else lasts forever.

I just got a Game Gear at a Goodwill today. I just finished replacing all the capacitors. In any case, I got an official Game Gear carry case, a magnifier, the AC adapter, and 11 games (2 of which are sonic games). All for 20 dollars.

A quick search on e-bay shows that 15 to 35 dollars is about right for the price of that sort of bundle. It depends on the games and the case. In my case, the official carry case makes it more valuable. With yours above, you probably paid about the right amount for it. Four games, a case, AC adapter, magnifier, (and battery pack?)

The game gear doesn't have a lot of resale value honestly. I bought mine mostly because I fried my last one by accident and wanted one for my collection.

Edited by Lendorien

Those shiny labels, even Activision carts, sooo very very nice.

Those are the the kind of games that really make a collection shine--something from thirty years ago like brand new.

Even if they are commons, the condition makes them really stand out. Even people who don't collect will recognize and appreciate these particular cartridges.

Edit: I just looked at 'em again--that shining Fishing Derby, that gleaming Dragster, that sparkling Stampede, twinkling Laserblast and mirror-like Megamania--just very nice.

Got more pix?

Edited by brojamfootball

Those shiny labels, even Activision carts, sooo very very nice.

Edit: I just looked at 'em again--that shining Fishing Derby, that gleaming Dragster, that sparkling Stampede, twinkling Laserblast and mirror-like Megamania--just very nice.

Yeah, whatever (I'm jealous) :). Here's the question though: did those Activision carts have the foam inserts?

My latest scores:

Nintendo Game Boy hook-up for Game Cube $3

Nintendo Game Cube disk needed for above device $0.50 (lotsa surface scratches, but works)

Genesis boxed Kid Chameleon $1

N64 loose Perfect Dark $2

SNES loose Y's $2

Epyx 2600 Joystick $2

Spectravision boxed 2600 Joystick $1.50 (proudly [?] displaying none other than Spectravision's Planet Patrol)

Dreamcast, missing modem $2 (turns out, it's broken)

Commodore plug-n-play $1 (never seen this before, 30 games)

The Game Gear is worth more than you guys thing... its blue... Minimum $20, and I've sold several for $30 recently. Road Rash is a solid $5 - $10 game. Shinobi $3 - 4, The case $10+, G-Loc and Baseball $1 - $2 each if lucky. If the battery back works perhpas $10. I'd call that a $40+ package easily, and perhaps more. On CL or Thrift I'd have paid $20ish gladly. Looks like my own set. I'd love to find a retail box for the system and carry case though.

AX

OK. Who here went to that estate sale on the North Shore of Long Island and bought the ColecoVision and the Intellivison? I was hoping to get that deal. :_(

Well anyway today wasn't too bad. Picked up some PS2 and Xbox games and actually stumbled across Bezerk for the 5200 for $2 which never happens in my area. I don't have a 5200 but I will pick one up if I come across one now.

Scored an original XBOX at Goodwill yesterday for $25. Came with 2 controllers and the AV cable.

Marked down because it didn't have a power cable.

I think I annoyed them when I then went back into their bin of random power cables and found one. It was priced at $1. :)

Not officially 'classic gaming', but soon it will be modded with emulators and XBMC, and put in the bedroom. (already have one running XBMC in the living room.

"Commodore plug-n-play $1 (never seen this before, 30 games)"

That's a nice find there. I'd consider it a pretty nice score for even for a higher price.

Those are pretty sweet. I showed mine to a buddy who was a C64 freak back in the day. He was going from game to game "I had this one, I remember that one....!" I think he got the biggest kick out of the boot up screen! I got mine at a yard sale last summer for $3 if I remember right. I've been keeping an eye out for another one for him.

$1 is a steal for that!

I went out today and hit up a few local spots. One was a pawn shop and the other was a new electronics store that has a booth at the local flea market I always go to. At the pawn shop, I picked up the following for about $15:

NES:

-Yo! Noid

-Q*Bert

GB:

-Kirby's Dream Land 2

N64:

-Blast Corps

Not the greatest deals, but I haven't seen a Yo! Noid game in ages! The others I just wanted for my collection.

The electronics store was very interesting. I walk in, and directly in front of me were 2 working Playchoice-10 arcade cabinets! To my right and in front of me were hundreds of games for just about any system you could think of except for the Vectrex. There must have been about 300-400 NES games alone in that place! Then I saw the prices. :thumbsdown: Common NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari, Coleco, and INTV games were $5 each!!! I'm talking games that you could find anywhere else for like $0.50! They had a vast collection of the rare ones, like a bunch of Color Dreams games that I haven't even heard of, but they ranged from $40-80 each! They had a few NES games for HUGE money, like Super Team Games for $200, Bubble Bobble 2 for $100, and none of the Mega Man games were under $35. And mind you, they were all LOOSE, CARTRIGE ONLY!!! :-o

I had gone there because the guys at the flea market said they had a copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES there, and I really have been after one locally lately. They had it, and I bought it or $50, which is about what they go for everywhere. Not the greatest deal, but I really needed it for my collection because it's my favorite RPG. I have it for the PSX and the DS, but I really wanted the original SNES cart.

I talked to the guy on his pricing, and he goes by Ebay, and adds in shipping costs too. :roll: At least the guy was nice, and he is an avid collector that knew his stuff (too well!!!) and I'm pretty sure that he has the store just to show off part of that collection.