IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

(no pic right now)

"Secret Service" pinball machine. Total private sale. There's some scratches on the cab, but the playfield is in really good condition. Almost have it entirely hooked up. Just gotta look for clarifications on a few connectors.

(no pic right now)

"Secret Service" pinball machine. Total private sale. There's some scratches on the cab, but the playfield is in really good condition. Almost have it entirely hooked up. Just gotta look for clarifications on a few connectors.

I'm curious how a private sale of a pinball machine is a thrift find.

I'm curious how a private sale of a pinball machine is a thrift find.

To be fair, people often post craigslist stuff too which feels pretty private saley. I consider this thread more 'I found something cool' more than anything even if it's title is far more restrictive.

• Like 1

To be fair, people often post craigslist stuff too which feels pretty private saley. I consider this thread more 'I found something cool' more than anything even if it's title is far more restrictive.

I hear ya and I wasn't calling for needless restrictions. I've always thought of it as a found a gread deal/steal/score thread.

Yea its getting harder and harder to find good deals in thrifts and I too would hardly post here if that were the case so in that vein, not a thrift find but I bought a couple of things from the coco/amiga lounge here in Canada - a complete copy of pooyan for the Coco and a loose Atari XE light gun both for $20 shipped. Anyone know if I can test the gun somehow without a lightgun game? If not maybe the local gamestore has a cheap copy of barnyard blaster or something similar.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Well while I did not buy these books to resell the fact I can get over $200 on ebay for them is tempting lol. I bought them for my twin boys, they will be 3 on May 25th so less than two weeks. They have already went crazy over them and we read a few. I got all of them for $40.

I should note these books have never been read, at least most of them. They are hard crisp new condition. The lady said an 80 year old grandmother bought them and most do not appear to have ever been read.

Just to keep it video game related I also nabbed the street fighter pc for $2, that sells for $15-$20. I also nabbed a big brand new unopened bag of Mega Blocks for $5 and for my wife a huge gallon ziplock bag of unopened cross-stitch thread for $1 those things are almost $1 each and that bag has to have an easy 100 brand new unopened in it.

post-25078-0-70342400-1463241494_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-82653600-1463241505_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-99378700-1463241515_thumb.jpg

Wow, you got an instant Dr. Seuss collection there! I'm a HUGE Seuss fan! I still have my books from childhood and have been collecting all the ones I don't have.

Well while I did not buy these books to resell the fact I can get over $200 on ebay for them is tempting lol. I bought them for my twin boys, they will be 3 on May 25th so less than two weeks. They have already went crazy over them and we read a few. I got all of them for $40.

I should note these books have never been read, at least most of them. They are hard crisp new condition. The lady said an 80 year old grandmother bought them and most do not appear to have ever been read.

Just to keep it video game related I also nabbed the street fighter pc for $2, that sells for $15-$20. I also nabbed a big brand new unopened bag of Mega Blocks for $5 and for my wife a huge gallon ziplock bag of unopened cross-stitch thread for $1 those things are almost $1 each and that bag has to have an easy 100 brand new unopened in it.

attachicon.gif100_3584.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3585.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3586.JPG

Wow, you got an instant Dr. Seuss collection there! I'm a HUGE Seuss fan! I still have my books from childhood and have been collecting all the ones I don't have.

I am amazed at how many books he wrote. My wife and I had no idea there were so many Dr. Seuss books. Just from doing a quick eBay search after I got them there are tons that I don't even have here! How many do you have? We had probably 10 different ones before this so we have like 75 books now. The boys are the perfect age to digest all of this.

What's funny is one of my boys "Cameron" always said "Gox" it was his own word he made up from reading our other Dr. Seuss books, such as "Fox in Socks" and such. Well we read the red fish blue fish book today and we got to a "Gox" LOL. We all busted up laughing and Cameron's eyes lit up when I showed him what a real "Gox" looked like lol.

Last time I updated my spreadsheet I had 54 different Seuss titles out of 75. It's been a few years and they've put out a few posthumously plus I've acquired a few more so I need to update. My list includes the stuff he put out by Dr. Seuss, Rosetta Stone, Theo Lesieg, and a few that are actually about him like "Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel". There's a ton of stuff out there!

That's funny about your kiddo and "Gox". That made me smile!

I am amazed at how many books he wrote. My wife and I had no idea there were so many Dr. Seuss books. Just from doing a quick eBay search after I got them there are tons that I don't even have here! How many do you have? We had probably 10 different ones before this so we have like 75 books now. The boys are the perfect age to digest all of this.

What's funny is one of my boys "Cameron" always said "Gox" it was his own word he made up from reading our other Dr. Seuss books, such as "Fox in Socks" and such. Well we read the red fish blue fish book today and we got to a "Gox" LOL. We all busted up laughing and Cameron's eyes lit up when I showed him what a real "Gox" looked like lol.

Last time I updated my spreadsheet I had 54 different Seuss titles out of 75. It's been a few years and they've put out a few posthumously plus I've acquired a few more so I need to update. My list includes the stuff he put out by Dr. Seuss, Rosetta Stone, Theo Lesieg, and a few that are actually about him like "Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel". There's a ton of stuff out there!

That's funny about your kiddo and "Gox". That made me smile!

So after doing research, over half of those books I got are not really written by Dr. Seuss but are "The cat in hat learning library".

This seems to be a good list of his books he wrote and under his other pen names as you mentioned.

http://primaryfamily.homestead.com/Pages/How_Many_Books_Did_Dr.htm

While out hunting for car parts at a swap meet, I saw this out of the corner of my eye.

20160514_181302_zpsvrxzbnsg.jpg

I picked it up to examine it, and while it was scratched up, it's still in decent shape. The seller came over and asked me if I was interested, so I asked how much?

$5.

SOLD! :-D

I plan on making it into a game room display shadow box kind of thing, with a lighted picture of the game screen behind the glass. Should be pretty cool!

• Like 2

Still half as much as they are at my Goodwills

I try not to shop BadWill now as it is. $3 for sumguy or sumdingbat's used/scratched/fingerprinted/greasy/potato chip/cheeto/booger ridden/ass scratching/ear picking/pimple popping/scab picking/peanut butter & jelly handled CD and booklet all wrecked because said dingbats can't actually read, so defaulted to looking for sexy pictures instead and couldn't be bothered to properly replace the booklet into the jewel case without damaging it? $3 for a used CD from a thrift store?! When most CD's can be bought for $.50-$1 at any garage sale, or $5-$8 (remastered) brand new from anywhere else?

NO THANKS!

• Like 1

I try not to shop BadWill now as it is. $3 for sumguy or sumdingbat's used/scratched/fingerprinted/greasy/potato chip/cheeto/booger ridden/ass scratching/ear picking/pimple popping/scab picking/peanut butter & jelly handled CD and booklet all wrecked because said dingbats can't actually read, so defaulted to looking for sexy pictures instead and couldn't be bothered to properly replace the booklet into the jewel case without damaging it?

I always check the disc before purchasing. While I do find a couple that are way too scratched to be useful, most of the ones I find look brand new. $1.50 each where I live.

I do find a lot of empty cases, though.

Videogames, on the other hand, those discs are usually messed up. I never get my hopes up for those.

DVDs, probably 60% success rate there.

To be fair to Goodwill, I generally have good luck with CD's. I think only once or twice have I brought them home and found them to be beyond hope. Like Asaki said, it's a good idea to check them at the store first. And honestly $3 each is not that bad of a price. That's still less than, say, Half-Price Books for generally the same quality. And the Goodwills around me often price their CD's lower, though I have yet to figure out any rhyme or reason why.

I'm not one to sing Goodwill's praises any more than I have to, but at least where audio CD's are concerned it's still a decent place to go.

I often forget to check. I got a vinyl record the other day that had a different album than the cover. On Monday I bought an Offspring CD that turned out to be empty :(

The album was only $1 and the CD was only $.50 so I just chalked it up as a donation.

Edited by Mitkraft