IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I didn't find anything today. I went to five or six different thrifts, and didn't buy anything. I passed on a Tandy CoCo 3 that was sparkling clean, and also passed on an overpriced WICO Batstick. Ugh. I feel pretty defeated today.

Last time I sold a CoCo3 on eBay, it went for a surprisingly large amount. I don't remember exactly how much, but I believe it was over $20. You might want to see what they've been going for lately.

Today in Glendora (eastern Los Angeles county, CA), at the Ark Thrift Store, 175 W. Arrow Hwy. (east of Grand Ave.), boxes and storage units full of common 2600 carts (mostly black pic labels), Colecovision carts, Nintendo carts, a few Intellivision and Coleco in with the 2600s. Price high at $2.50 each for Atari, didn't check the others. Also, 3 boxed and 2 loose 5200 carts for $3 each (Ms. Pac-Man, RealSports Football, can't remember what else.) A 5200 console and track ball, $15 each. Big power supply in with some cables and Nintendo controllers across the aisle, I think it's for the 5200. 2600 4-switch console at $25.

Most of that stuff should still be there, all I got was 3 2600 carts (2 rarity 3 and a Xonox double-ender) plus the wall wart for the 2600 console (sorry!) Maybe if I had more money I would have made an offer for larger quantities at a lower price. Since I don't even know what's rare for the other systems there could be some good finds among the commons. The owner said she just put all this stuff out last night.

Store is really cluttered, there might have been some other good stuff I just didn't notice.

When I walked into goodwill expecting to maybe find a couple games or this or that... and I usually hit the glass case last but as I was walking in I saw them in there and at that moment I just had to free them from their glass prison! :D

saturnhaul.jpg

Edited by SuperPsycho

When I walked into goodwill expecting to maybe find a couple games or this or that... and I usually hit the glass case last but as I was walking in I saw them in there and at that moment I just had to free them from their glass prison! :D  

saturnhaul.jpg

A-mazing!

Wow dude, you win. I think that's what Saturn games really should cost. :) I don't know if you've ever played it, but Virtua Fighter Kids is really funny - they beat each other up with toys, and instead of blood I think that they knock streams of lollipops out of each other.

$1.99 each - well done! I have a real soft spot in my heart for Saturn for some reason.

Scored a working Vectrex for A$50 (with one extra game -- a racing thing) a couple of weekends back. Apparently someone offered $40 but the seller wouldn't budge. I just reached for the wallet.

So once I had tested it and knew it was working I headed off to GoodDealGames and bought that new Vextrex boxing game. I'm not a big fan of boxing games, but it'll be fun to be able to power up a game even the biggest Vectrex fan from back in the day will never have seen.

Hey, A while ago I bought a couple Radio Shack brand powersupplies that are labeled for use with the original NES at goodwill. they had a big pile of them on a shelf.... all brand new baged and in their boxes. anyway they were still there when I went last week... they output 9 Volts AC @ 1300mA and were priced at $1.99. I've been thinking about buying them all next time I go. What do you think, should I do it?

Not a thrift find exactly, but Toys R Us seems to be blowing out old games for 90 percent off.  I got two PS games (Street Racqetball and Fishing) for a buck each, a bunch of GB e-reader cards for like a dime a pack, and they had a load of Dreamcast games (NFL & NBA) games for a buck, strategy guides... I even got some games for that mini-Pokemon handheld for about a buck a piece.

No kidding. I just went there today and bought SEGA Bass Fishing 1 and 2 for a total of $2 bucks! They also had like 25 copies of Gamecube's Eternal Darkness for $5.95 and Nintendo 64's Perfect Dark for $0.99 (all new complete in shrink wrapped box). It's unfortunate this game didn't do well. I bought it for $20 a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

I'm in south Louisiana right now. I've been combing thrifts all over the place, along with a flea market and a couple resale shops. All i've found this trip is Dynamite Headdy and Itchy & Scratchy Show for the Sega Game Gear, $4.95 each. All in all, a really disappointing week for thrifting. :sad:

On a Business trip, I was In Hillsboro OR and happened upon a "Goodwill Outlet Center" Bins of crap sold by the pound and the junk collectors going nuts. In the "expensive items" case, I Found a NES with three controllers, and an Adventure Island ?? cart for $5. It also had a Capt. Skyhawk cart for $2, and a SNES Donky Kong COuntry for $2. Bought them. The Nes powers up but needs a new 72 pin header. There was a Genny series 1 and a Game gear in pretty nice condition with about 10 games for $30. A teenage girl bought the game gear.

Was in another thrift in Beaverton Or and there were four sets of paddles, one set was a gemini. Left 'em there. They had a box of about 30 2600 commons, and one driving controller. bought the driving controller for $2 to make a tempest controller for the Jag and 2600 Amidar for $2.

A game store in the Mall had 24 Combat carts. 2 bucks each.

I've been coming across a lot of Genny's lately. usually 5-20 bucks. I bought one in a thrift in Chandler AZ for $17 complete with an Arcade Joystick. The Stick made it worth the buy.

I would buy them if I were you.  NES power supplies are a bit weird, and hard to find with NES units in the wild.  You'd be able to trade for them pretty easily I'd say.  I wish that I had a few spares as I have a number of orphaned NES consoles around here.  :)

I just thought I'd say that I went back today and bought 10 of them. I really didn't realize just how many there were... There must have been like 40 of them still there when I left the store.

I would buy them if I were you.  NES power supplies are a bit weird, and hard to find with NES units in the wild.  You'd be able to trade for them pretty easily I'd say.  I wish that I had a few spares as I have a number of orphaned NES consoles around here.  :)

I just thought I'd say that I went back today and bought 10 of them. I really didn't realize just how many there were... There must have been like 40 of them still there when I left the store.

Woudl you be interested in selling one?

-kemsted

I remember when they used to be dirt common. I would even use them as replacement power supplies for USR Courier modems. Now the thrift stores are slapping $4 prices on them.

Was in another thrift in Beaverton Or and there were four sets of paddles, one set was a gemini.  Left 'em there. They had a box of about 30 2600 commons, and one driving controller.  bought the driving controller for $2 to make a tempest controller for the Jag and 2600 Amidar for $2.

Edging in on JerryG's territory, are you? :-) Anyhow, San Antonio now has two Goodwill "Salvage Center" places, but the second one isn't all that big. The original one on the south side of town, I can easily spend three hours digging through stuff. A badly hacked Atari 800 I got there became a Pokey donor for my CC2.