IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

You know, I check this forum fairly often, and see that many people have plenty of success at thrift stores and flea markets.  I have as well.  However, I see a lot of eBay auctions that mention that this person picked up this boxed Colecovision (for example) at an estate sale.  Now when I think of estate sale, I think of old persons possessions being sold.  And I can't really imagine finding video games at these kind of places.  But now some of you guys, when you have your estate sales, well, then I could see finding video games. 

So my question is, anyone ever really find anything at an estate sale?

850598[/snapback]

Sometimes people having a garage sale call it an estate sale even though it's really a garage sale just to get more people to come.

Jennifer

I hit a couple thrift stores today. I think I did fairly well. See if you can make it out from the picture....

Since some are curious about prices.... all the games were $2.99 each... the pads were 99cents each, the computer was $15.... the tape drive was $5... the PSX with parallel port was $7, and the advantage was $3.

post-210-1116048842_thumb.jpg

Cool! You got a Mattel Aquarius computer! I've always wanted to fool around with one, even though I've heard all of the negative things people (and even the developers!) have said about it. I'm hoping that Ice Breaker brings one with him to OVGE, and sets it up for web surfing!

And congratulations on finding T-Mek for the 32X. The only game worth playing on the 32X, in my fairly worthless opinion. :)

And congratulations on finding T-Mek for the 32X. The only game worth playing on the 32X, in my fairly worthless opinion.  :)

855246[/snapback]

space harrier, after burner, virtua fighter, virtua racing deluxe?

all are very good versions imho

EDIT: HOLY ****!!!!!

do i see spiderman for 32X? that is quite a find there :D :lust:

Edited by chrisbid

EDIT:  HOLY ****!!!!!

do i see spiderman for 32X?  that is quite a find there :D  :lust:

855265[/snapback]

Boxed with manual and registration card. all the 32X games are in perfect shape....the boxes themselves show a little wear... but not bad for cardboard.

I've always been in the minority thinking that the 32X was pretty cool - but then again I didn't experience buying the hardware at exorbitant prices back in the day! I think that it's unusually perceptive of a company to come up with a way to not make you ditch your old hardware in order to play the newest games.

At that point Sega was king of backward compatibility with the Genesis. You could play Master System games on it, Game Gear (I think), and of course its own carts CD's and the 32X stuff. Oh, and lets not foget karaoke titles! ;)

Too bad that a lot of that 32X stuff is so rare otherwise I'd go for a complete collection (since there are so few titles, it's almost acheivable! :) ). You got some really enviable scores. there... Well done!

This isn't exactly a thrift find but I feel it's applicable to the thrift finds topic anyhow. Today I was walking from my car to Game X-Change and I saw a SNES console sitting on the sidewalk outside a hair salon a couple of stores down from the game store. I was immediately curious but I decided it might belong to someone and so I left it and continued to Game X-Change. I was in the store about 30 minutes and when I came out the SNES was still there! I decided that a 30 minute wait was long enough and so I brought it home. A corner of the case has a crack and several black marks, and it has a rattle but I couldn't just leave it there on the sidewalk. I already have a SNES but the console just looked so lonely and abandoned. All I can figure is that someone brought it to Game X-Change as a trade-in and they wouldn't take it because of it's less than perfect condition. I still can't imagine leaving a console though.

I love Game Crazy's Classic Plastic Deal:

>Mega Man 2 for NES (REG $15)

>Pokemon STadium 2 for N64 (REG $30)

>Mario Kart 64 (REG $25)

>Reboot for PSX (REG $15) Rarity 7

>Point Blank 2 for PSX (REG $30)

>Team Buddies for PSX (REG $15) Rarity 8

>Super Off Road for SNES (REG $12)

>Micro Machines 64 (REG $12)

>Rat Attack for N64 (REG $20)

:)

Not too bad, all for $10 bucks

Frogs and Flies

Tac-Scan

Dig Dug (very good version of the arcade game, in my opinion)

Towering Inferno

Xonox Double ender, Spikes Peak and Ghost Manor.

This flea market has a vendor that has boxes and boxes of 2600 stuff, but never seems to sell any of it. I'm thinking of offering her $100 for the lot. Probably 100-150 carts.

I know this isn't the best deal in the world, but given how limited Maine is finding classic games, I was pleased. I got Ecco the Tides of Time, Vectorman, and Sonic Spinball for $7 total this weekend. They didn't have cases, but I'm trying to just get the best games for each of my classic systems, and I'm paying no attn to packaging, as I have no space to store cases and boxes anyways.

I know this isn't the best deal in the world, but given how limited Maine is finding classic games, I was pleased.  I got Ecco the Tides of Time, Vectorman, and Sonic Spinball for $7 total this weekend.  They didn't have cases, but I'm trying to just get the best games for each of my classic systems, and I'm paying no attn to packaging, as I have no space to store cases and boxes anyways.

856170[/snapback]

I agree, Maine does indeed generally stink for finding any sort of classic games. Maybe us Yankees either never bought them to begin with (not true, I remember the good old days) or we're not getting rid of them.

I know this isn't the best deal in the world, but given how limited Maine is finding classic games, I was pleased.  I got Ecco the Tides of Time, Vectorman, and Sonic Spinball for $7 total this weekend.  They didn't have cases, but I'm trying to just get the best games for each of my classic systems, and I'm paying no attn to packaging, as I have no space to store cases and boxes anyways.

856170[/snapback]

I agree, Maine does indeed generally stink for finding any sort of classic games. Maybe us Yankees either never bought them to begin with (not true, I remember the good old days) or we're not getting rid of them.

856211[/snapback]

Maine stinks for a lot of things. (I was transplanted there for two years) But it is a nice place to visit. Funny you mention yankees not buying games. Fairchild has it's world headquarters in South Portland. The Channel F was a product of Fairchild, and some of the chips were made there.

Managed to snag myself a brand new Timex Sinclair 1000, without the original box, but with everything still in factory condition (0ther than the little sticker at the top that says "Timex Sinclair 1000" having fallen off and vanished) and also in the deal getting a 16K Timex Sinclair 1016 Memory Module.

All together, 8 buckaroonies.

I went to Game X Change on Sunday and got these 2600 titles for less than eight and a half bucks (Thank God for Buy 1 Get 1 Free):

Demon Attack (Text)

Yars' Revenge (Picture)

Skiing (Standard)

Chopper Command (Standard)

Grand Prix (Standard; defective so I'm returning it for RealSports Tennis)

Othello (Text)

Video Pinball (Lower-case Picture)

Target Fun (Text, Red font)

But, God dang it, there are so many games there I want, including one of those weird-label 1987 re-releases (but it's Home Run. Hmm.....).

Had a pretty decent day today. Had to go up to Dallas, so I made stops in Temple and Waco along the way...

First, before I even left the Austin area, I found an Atari Logo, shrinkwrapped, but at $8, I passed on it. I already have the cartridge, but nothing else. I'll be going to Dallas again in two weeks, so if it's still there, I can get it then. I also passed up a Zork Anthology shrinkwrapped for $6, because again, I was pretty sure I already had not one, but two copies of it.

In Temple, I headed out to the mall, but made a wrong turn which led to me finding a Game Crazy. Snagged for $15: NES Gilligan's Island, SNES Secret of Evermore, and N64 Aidyn Chronicles (what, there was an N64 RPG other than Zelda and Quest 64?)

At the mall, I found SNES Oscar $6, SNES Kid Clown in Crazy Castle $5, SNES Out to Lunch $4, and a Super Famicom "Pro Football" for $5.

At a Goodwill in Waco I found four NES games for $2 each: Mechanized Attack, Spot (w/instr), Dragon Spirit The New Legend, and Klax. Klax was the only one I already had.

In Dallas, I went to the nearby Half Price Books and got the hint books to .hack parts 2 and 3 for $3 each, and a recent "Edge" magazine (UK import video games magazine) for $4.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Today, I found all at one store.......

Sega Dreamcast keyboard, $4.95.

Two Atari 5200 controllers (one with a bad rubber boot), $3.98 for both.

Rayman 2: The Great Escape for the PS1 without original case, $2.48.

Hanimex Electronic TV Game (a pong unit), with a really old looking Archer AC adapter, $4.98.

I passed up on a couple things today. A bag with an Atari CX40 joystick without a rubber stick cover, a Star Raiders numerical pad, and a set of paddles, for $7.98. And I passed on a bag with a Sega Master System lightgun and arcade stick (with the top of the stick broken off), and some power supply that obviously didn't belong in there, also for $7.98. If it would have had a set of 3D glasses in it, I would have snatched it up. If I had found the consoles that they belonged to, I would have bought them. But there was nothing Atari or Sega related in the store other than the stuff in the bags. :sad: I would have loved to find some games or something.

Not from a thrift but I got a NES top loader with 1 dogbone and about 40 games for $46 shipped from someone on a non-gaming forum.

From Salvie this morning Dell Latitude 5000 laptop PIII with floppy drive, 256 ram, power cord, cd drive, and modem card, but missing hard drive and battery. $2.50

Will the laptop do anything when you try to power it up without a hard drive? I plugged it in and tried to power it up but it comes on for a few second and then shuts down. It does this repededly.

• Like 1