IGNORED

Any Interest in a new SDrive NUXX Run?

c0nsumer

Woo! I received the ship notice for the PCBs this morning. As soon as they arrive and I've confirmed that they look good I'll order the parts and begin assembly.

Cool!

Keep us updated on manufacturing / assembly process. A few, here-and-there, "tempting" snaps will always be welcome! :cool:

F.

IMG_6168.jpg

Well then, here you go. Here's 50 PCBs received this afternoon from the Chinese supplier. Here is another nifty photo showing a cross section of the PCB embedded in acrylic the cut and ground, used for showing that the board meets specifications.

Now I just need to wait on the end panels, order the parts, and get to assembling.

I think that for this round I'll be offering PCB+Panel+Preprogrammed IC sets and complete units. I'm not yet sure if the complete units will include 2GB SD cards or not this time. I got a super deal on them last time around and was able to include them for free, but this time it looks like I won't be able to secure such a discount.

• Like 1

IMG_6168.jpg

Well then, here you go. Here's 50 PCBs received this afternoon from the Chinese supplier. Here is another nifty photo showing a cross section of the PCB embedded in acrylic the cut and ground, used for showing that the board meets specifications.

Now I just need to wait on the end panels, order the parts, and get to assembling.

I think that for this round I'll be offering PCB+Panel+Preprogrammed IC sets and complete units. I'm not yet sure if the complete units will include 2GB SD cards or not this time. I got a super deal on them last time around and was able to include them for free, but this time it looks like I won't be able to secure such a discount.

NICE (!)

I wonder why you chose a Chinese supplier, though (forgive my supply-chain ignorance on these matters).

As for options, most interest is in fully-assembled units. However, you should consider optional DIY-assembly complete/full kits (everything except assembly/soldering), so you can improve your pricing and better align with everyone's budget (nowadays, there is a short-list of "must" have, good-quality upgrades that may have not existed two years ago, though).

Bring-it-on!

F.

NICE (!)

I wonder why you chose a Chinese supplier, though (forgive my supply-chain ignorance on these matters).

As for options, most interest is in fully-assembled units. However, you should consider optional DIY-assembly complete/full kits (everything except assembly/soldering), so you can improve your pricing and better align with everyone's budget (nowadays, there is a short-list of "must" have, good-quality upgrades that may have not existed two years ago, though).

Bring-it-on!

F.

I really wanted to go with a US supplier, but it would have been something like 3x the cost per-PCB. That would have bumped the cost up another $20-ish, and thus I couldn't justify it.

I did do whole part kits last time, but only sold two of them, and picking/sorting the parts was (to be blunt) a HUGE hassle. Since the BOM is readily available both in the US and EU, that covers most of the market and people can then just order the parts they need without running them through me, a middleman. Since most people who ordered PCBs also ordered preprogrammed ICs last time, I think it's worth adding them into the PCB/Panel bundles. It's only another $5 for them anyway, and takes out a big part of the hassle of building the device. I'm still not sure I'm doing this, but it seems like a good idea.

Also, it turns out I can get all the same parts as used last time, so I'm going to go with the exact same BOM. Some of the parts were rather hard to pick, in particular the SD card connector. I could only find one (!!!) device which was hand-solderable. While it's surface mount, it's not that hard to solder. All of the other ones that I came across were surface mount but required an oven for soldering, since the contacts weren't accessible with a typical iron. I really wanted to go for an microSD connector on these when I originally designed them, but again, no hand solderable parts were available and if I'm going to offer an even somewhat DIY option, that's required.

I guess I could have gone all SMT and had them assembled for me (saving some time), but I really didn't want to go that route. Through-hole is nice for DIY, and I think that my doing final assembly myself here in the Detroit area it adds a bit to the device, if nothing else a bit of certainty that it was hand-built by the same person who tested it out and offers his assurance that it will work as promised.

What the hell? You're screwing the resale value of my existing SDrive NUXX! I was planning on waiting until some desperate freak pays me $1000 for mine. Now they can just buy a new one from you. In art, if the artist is dead, the paintings go up. You're like the artist who comes back to life and says, "Psyche! I wasn't dead, really - just pretending." ;)

No, seriously, make lots more. Everybody should get the chance to buy this awesome SDrive. :)

...just received the invoice for the end panels, which means those are under way too. 15-Jul-2011 estimated ship date for those. And yes, those are being made in the US.

I just completed visual inspection of the PCBs and they look good, so this afternoon

Today I'll be ordering the enclosures and components so hopefully I can start assembly next week.

The enclosure and component orders showed up today. No photos yet since I haven't fully unpacked everything. It's a bit intimidating, though, as I'm planning on doing 30 assembled units and 20 PCB+Panel+uC sets.

Now I'm just waiting on the end panels and to find some time to begin assembly. That'll likely be some time next week.

Are these or will these be available for pre-order?

Thanks,

tjb

No, sorry. I'm not going to be taking orders until they are done and ready to sell. What I'll do is post the date/time at which orders will begin, and then I'll take orders starting at that time and ship them ASAP.

I'm a bit paranoid about accepting payment for products that aren't yet built, so I'm just going to finish assembly, testing, and packaging before accepting orders.

-Steve

The enclosure and component orders showed up today. No photos yet since I haven't fully unpacked everything. It's a bit intimidating, though, as I'm planning on doing 30 assembled units and 20 PCB+Panel+uC sets.

Now I'm just waiting on the end panels and to find some time to begin assembly. That'll likely be some time next week.

Take your time, Master.

Remember: *Q*U*A*L*I*T*Y*, above all, is why we are buying the Nuke-Drive. The materials, soldering, design, craftmanship and finish. Quality in every step of the way, like NO other.

:)

Bring'em on,

F.

Great news, I missed out on these last time, don't want to miss out again, can't wait! :lust:

I honestly wouldn't mind paying a "deposit". Like $20 or something.

Thanks for the offer, but that'd be even harder to deal with. I'd then have to track both deposits and full payments, go after people for partial payments, etc.

I'm just going to stick to payment in full upon ordering with orders only being taken once products are ready to ship.

-Steve

IMG_6181.jpg

Programming the ATmega8 microcontrollers...

SwEeEeT (!)

Here comes the "Nuke"-drive... RELOADED.

Q: I have a Willem programmer (the latest PCB5.x version...) Could it work for a future controller-reprogramming or should I only use the on-board re-programming tools? (I do not know if the ATmega is socketed or simply soldered-through)...

Cheers,

F.

SwEeEeT (!)

Q: I have a Willem programmer (the latest PCB5.x version...) Could it work for a future controller-reprogramming or should I only use the on-board re-programming tools? (I do not know if the ATmega is socketed or simply soldered-through)...

Cheers,

F.

As long as the Willem programmer will do ATmega8 chips then it'll be fine. The AVRs are socketed, so you'd just pull it, reprogram it in the Willem, then reinsert it. Or you can just use the onboard programmer; your choice. :)

SwEeEeT (!)

Cheers,

F.

As long as the Willem programmer will do ATmega8 chips then it'll be fine. The AVRs are socketed, so you'd just pull it, reprogram it in the Willem, then reinsert it. Or you can just use the onboard programmer; your choice. :)

Er, also, you could use the on-board programming header to plug in an external programmer. The MISO, MOSI, SCK, Reset, and GND lines are exposed on a .100" header. Just power the SDrive NUXX externally, remove the SD card, and use the header to program with your existing programmer, if you want. Just be sure grounds are connected together.