IGNORED

Any Interest in a new SDrive NUXX Run?

c0nsumer

...Well, after searching, reading, analyzing existing options, and then eventually discovering this one, I can only say:

1. There is NO real substitute to the high-quality, SLEEK-looking, custom-designed NUXX SDrive.

2. It should NOT be called SDrive NUXX. It should be called the Nuke-SDrive. Its design and build quality would probably withstand a nuclear conflict:

post-29379-0-49463500-1308246149_thumb.png

It would look absolutely awesome, and a worthy companion to a pristine, well mantained IndusGT unit/s. Not to mention that I will be able to fire-it-up also on my JayMiner-800 (still not dependent on my 800XL's PBI bus).

Minimum of one unit for me, here. This is the SIO-drive to have.

Cheers,

F.

Note: this is what a high-tech version of the Wii should have looked-like. :P

...Now that I think about, a second unit is in the cards, if prices are manageable.

F.

The last run, completely assembled, was around $150USD a unit. It's unlikely that costs of components would have gone down much , if not increased....plus, altogether, we're asking for quite a few completed units this go-around and much of this man's time...

Just some things to consider.

This is a primo product...you're paying for a custom-built case of aluminum (basically something similar to an external hard-drive case Western Digital might use.), custom circuit-board and some finicky fitting work. You can get a more bare-bones, functional unit, encased in plastic, for half the price, but it wouldn't be a Fort Nuxx. ;)

Edited by AtariNerd

The last run, completely assembled, was around $150USD a unit. It's unlikely that costs of components would have gone down much , if not increased....plus, altogether, we're asking for quite a few completed units this go-around and much of this man's time...

Just some things to consider.

This is a primo product...you're paying for a custom-built case of aluminum (basically something similar to an external hard-drive case Western Digital might use.), custom circuit-board and some finicky fitting work. You can get a more bare-bones, functional unit, encased in plastic, for half the price, but it wouldn't be a Fort Nuxx. ;)

It was $150 exactly last time for an assembled unit. And actually the fitting work isn't finicky. The panels are cut to fit the controls and LEDs. The board slides into the channel along the side of the chassis. The only finicky part (from c0nsumer's notes) is if the caps for the buttons aren't snapped into place right, then the panel won't fit right.

c0nsumer is pretty obsessive about documenting everything, there's lots of notes and pictures at http://nuxx.net/wiki/SDrive_NUXX

Thanks for all the interest, everyone. I'm a bit busy right now (getting married in a week and a half) but hopefully I'll be able to find some time to confirm the design and that the parts are available and get some pricing together.

Thanks for all the interest, everyone. I'm a bit busy right now (getting married in a week and a half) but hopefully I'll be able to find some time to confirm the design and that the parts are available and get some pricing together.

Congratulations, I wish you a happy marriage!

Congratulations, I wish you a happy marriage!

Thank you. :)

For what it's worth, the whole BOM from normal suppliers is still available. I'm just going to have to check on the SIO connectors and getting another run of the PCBs and end panels made up.

It took me a while to break in my lady as to my late nights in the retro-computer/electronics "Man Cave" aka the small utility room in the basement. But, after 24 years she has accepted the fact that the reason our marriage has lasted for so long is that I had a place to go and get out of her hair when things got a bit hot. So, I hope your new bride will find the same benefit in your hobbies as mine has over these many years. Congrats on her saying "YES", have a great wedding, and a wonderful honeymoon.

The Dawg

Edited by Firedawg

Well, I just ordered 30 new SIO connectors. I guess I'm committed.

I'll post updates here as I get to know things. Expect prices to be similar to last time. ($35 - $40 for PCB/panel sets, $150-ish for wholly assembled and tested units.)

I'm not sure about doing kits yet, as they were a bit of a hassle.

It took me a while to break in my lady as to my late nights in the retro-computer/electronics "Man Cave" aka the small utility room in the basement. But, after 24 years she has accepted the fact that the reason our marriage has lasted for so long is that I had a place to go and get out of her hair when things got a bit hot. So, I hope your new bride will find the same benefit in your hobbies as mine has over these many years. Congrats on her saying "YES", have a great wedding, and a wonderful honeymoon.

The Dawg

I think it's important that people get time to do their own thing. Personally, I've spent most of my free time lately doing mountain biking stuff and trail building, but for some odd reason I'm itching to getting back to an electronics project.

Edited by c0nsumer