IGNORED

Any Interest in a new SDrive NUXX Run?

c0nsumer

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

Here's some more teaser / production progress images. There's a bunch of PCBs with all washable parts fitted, flux residue on a board, a clean board after washing, and the boards set out under a fan to finish drying.

Tonight I finished soldering all the washable parts, washed all the (water soluble) flux off with hot water and a soft bristled brush, then blew most of the water off using compressed air. The boards were then propped up to dry under a fan in an air conditioned basement (read: dry air) overnight. After they have ~24 hours to sit I'll solder on the non-washable parts (switches, SIO connector, DB25) with no-clean flux. Then comes testing, fitting into enclosures, more testing, and then packaging.

• Like 2

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

Here's some more teaser / production progress images. There's a bunch of PCBs with all washable parts fitted, flux residue on a board, a clean board after washing, and the boards set out under a fan to finish drying.

Tonight I finished soldering all the washable parts, washed all the (water soluble) flux off with hot water and a soft bristled brush, then blew most of the water off using compressed air. The boards were then propped up to dry under a fan in an air conditioned basement (read: dry air) overnight. After they have ~24 hours to sit I'll solder on the non-washable parts (switches, SIO connector, DB25) with no-clean flux. Then comes testing, fitting into enclosures, more testing, and then packaging.

SICK (!)

Man, This bad-boy oozes quality and attention-to-detail, left-and-right.

I will consider requesting an (optional) custom face-plate for my unit, with the title "NUKE SDrive - Limited", with your short-signature either on-top or on the front. One of a kind... :)

F.

I know pre-order is not open, but I'm hoping to get one of these if you have enough (assembled). I'm good for the cash.

I've got 30 being assembled, 29 will be available, and I'll post the date/time ordering info once they are all available. I intend to give everyone at least 24 hours notice of when orders will be accepted, and then on that date/time the order page will go live. It'll stay up until all complete devices and pcb/panel/uC sets are sold.

These things are like the Rolls-Royce of peripherals. The boards look so neat, the workmanship and attention to detail is so exquisite... I don't need one, but I want one. The photos are having exactly the same effect on me as the Coca-Cola advertising that Bill Hicks used to talk about. :)

• Like 1

I'd like to see a device like this that can run all four D1-D4 drives at once... no more flipping Alternate Reality or powering up four physical 1050s

:)

SDrives *do* run all four at once. The selection on the front just flips that selected number "into" D1:

These things are like the Rolls-Royce of peripherals. The boards look so neat, the workmanship and attention to detail is so exquisite... I don't need one, but I want one. The photos are having exactly the same effect on me as the Coca-Cola advertising that Bill Hicks used to talk about. :)

Before c0nsumer did the first run, I was looking at his wiki here. I had *zero* use for one of those, but looking at his work, I wanted one. :)

Heck, I still have the prototype and finished product from the first run, and part of me still considers getting another this time.

I'd like to see a device like this that can run all four D1-D4 drives at once... no more flipping Alternate Reality or powering up four physical 1050s

SDrives *do* run all four at once. The selection on the front just flips that selected number "into" D1:

Awesome! Wasn't sure if it worked similar to the sio2sd.

Didn't think you could play Alternate Reality on SDrive. Aren't there 5 disks involved?

Didn't think you could play Alternate Reality on SDrive. Aren't there 5 disks involved?

I thought it was 4, but I guess I don't know for certain. I was mainly answering his query about running 4 drives at once. The SDrive *can* do that.

I think I would like a kit. Just to take the pressure off trying to get a fully assembled one! ;)

Hehe, thanks. I'm working through them. I just have to find some time to finish them off, but I figure that the PCBs will be assembled in a week or so. (I've got a bike race on Saturday and loads of other personal plans that have to come first.)

I'm going to be taking orders for and shipping it all at the same time, just to make the post office trips easier. I'm thinking end of the month is not an unreasonable target.

We appreciate the hard work! End of the month, is a good thing. I get my paycheck on the first! :P I'll make sure to hit up the digikey parts list as well. Can't wait to rock some Detroit style POKEY acid after I get this. :D

Edited by Keaton Blue

I'm pleased to announce that orders for the second run of SDrive NUXXs, both assembled devices and/or PCB/End Panel/Microcontroller, will be accepted beginning on Thursday, August 4th, 2011 beginning at 2:00pm Eastern Daylight Time (2011-08-04 @ 14:00 UTC-4) via this page:

IMG_3504.jpg

SDrive NUXX Ordering Page

Note that this page is up, but ordering is not live. At the date/time stated above the page will change and it will become possible to place orders.

Pricing is as follows:

Assembled SDrive NUXX: US$150

SDrive NUXX PCB, End Panel, and Microcontroller Set: US$40

These prices include USPS Priority Mail postage within the United States. For non-US destinations there is an US$10 shipping surcharge to cover the additional international postage costs for each SDrive NUXX or every five PCB, End Panel, and uC sets. When placing your order, if you are not in the United States please add an appropriate number of International Shipping options to your order. If you are an non-US customer and do not add this surcharge I will have to cancel your order and ask you to resubmit it.

There are only 30 Assembled SDrive NUXXs and 20 PCB / End Panel / Microcontroller Sets available. After these are sold out the ordering page will be disabled. At this time I have no intention of a third run, so be sure to get your order in early.

All items will ship within a few days of orders being placed.

--

Since I've also been talking a bunch about production status here, I'm quite close to finishing up the PCBs, with probably one more evening of work to go before assembly will be complete. After this comes basic electrical testing, insertion of uCs, initial power-up testing, final assembly into the enclosure, functionality testing, and then packaging. I expect to have this complete by August 4th so that shipping can happen as soon as orders are processed, but there's a slight possibility (depending on how late I end up working some evenings at my day job) that they won't be ready to ship until a few days afterward.

And yes, I'll probably have some more photos to post tonight. ;)

(After this post I'll go back to this thread being used solely for production status updates and whatnot. The thread about orders is here.)

Edited by c0nsumer

IMG_6207.jpg

Tonight I finished all the soldering and then fully tested and assembled one unit to be sure the end panels and such are right. Here it is.

Now I just have to finish up the remaining PCBs, test them out, assemble them, and package them along with the PCB/end panel sets.

Edited by c0nsumer
  • Like 3

IMG_6213.jpg

...and there we have it, 30 SDrive NUXXs. They have all passed initial startup testing, they just need a bit more exercise connected to an Atari and they'll be ready to pack and ship.

Unfortunately Digi-Key shorted me a couple of black keycaps, so there are only 29 ready to go, but this presents an interesting opportunity. If one of you would like yellow or white keycaps for the front (instead of the usual black), let me know when placing your order. I can only do this for one person, but that one lucky person will be able to get their SDrive NUXX a little different than everyone else's. That said, if no one wants theirs done this way I'll just get a couple keycaps sent to me and it'll be sold the same as the rest.

That's awesome! Wonderful device!

(I'm amazed at the clarity of your pics - how little "noise" there is in ambient light, at dark subjects (like the Sdrive NUXX). I suppose there is something to be had from a digital SLR after all, eh?)

edit: What kind of volume discount for purchase of the lot?

Edited by wood_jl

That's awesome! Wonderful device!

(I'm amazed at the clarity of your pics - how little "noise" there is in ambient light, at dark subjects (like the Sdrive NUXX). I suppose there is something to be had from a digital SLR after all, eh?)

edit: What kind of volume discount for purchase of the lot?

Thank you.

A dSLR, quality tripod, and remote shutter release is really quite helpful for documenting things. Even at 5.5 years old my 20D is holding up quite well. If you notice the in order to get the matte anodized SDrive NUXXs exposed reasonably the workbench is super-blown-out. That's just one of the compromises needed with cameras and their limited dynamic range (less than human eye, at least).

Regarding a volume purchase, I'd really prefer to keep most of these to sell to individuals here on the forum. There is quite a bit of interest around them and I'd rather ensure that each can go to an individual. If you're interested in a number of them (for yourself or to resell) please email me at c0nsumer@nuxx.net and let me know what you're interested in and I'll see what can be done.

PCB / End Panel / uC kits packed. Here is a pile of AVRs in the middle of the packing operation.

2.5 more days!

Hi,

I was wonding if this is the same AVR that comes with the SIO2SD drive that has a two line screen and the same software.

First, to clarify, this is a version of the SDrive which does not have the same software as the SIO2SD. Second, the SDrive (and thus the SDrive NUXX) uses an ATmega8 while the SIO2SD uses an ATmega32. So, no, this is not the same AVR.

Hope that helps...