IGNORED

Upcoming Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0 release

Shamus

For a good Jaguar Emulator i would even pay. But it's not the point if it's free or comercial, or if he spend 100 hours or just 2. It's just that (as i see in this forum not just my opinion) it doesn't improve the JAG-Emulation and it's better not to release it, or better, keep it for himself. I guess in this status, no one would miss it at all...

Edited by Griever

AND WELL EXPERIENCED WIT ALL OTHER EMULATORS, so i can give good hints at least and healthy critical, what should help at least and not demotivate or insult someone.

And you did none of these things that you claimed you could do, you simply slated the emulator and insulted it's author.

None of what you said was constructive or healthy criticism.

• Like 3

For a good Jaguar Emulator i would even pay.

I bet you wouldn't pay the full commercial rate for its development.

But it's not the point if it's free or comercial, or if he spend 100 hours or just 2. It's just that (as i see in this forum not just my opinion) it doesn't improve the JAG-Emulation and it's better not to release it, or better, keep it for himself.

Agreed! It is "your opinion" and not the gospel, truth or the law ;). Other people have different opinions.

I guess in this status, no one would miss it at all...

Except you, otherwise you wouldn't be on here complaining about it.

• Like 2

Healthy criticism = The emulator doesn't improve (At least could add fullscreen-Support) compare with R391. is that not healthy criticsm for example? It's also a way of constructive, because i ask about fullscreen and about Joystick-support. Or want me to do that do be constructive at least? I don't feel to do it like you, just don't say anything to the programer even you know, this Version of the VJ doesn't help the Jaguar-Emulation...

But maybe it's enough now and it's time to say to all the people who like it - Have much fun with it!! Cheers

Edited by Griever

"I bet you wouldn't pay the full commercial rate for its development."

Developing a good emu is also a good practice for programers. Dio did this for himself (example). If it needs to be a comercial one, and i decide to buy it, it wouldn't be that expensive, because all users need to pay a their fee, like let's say the way AMIGA-Forever or Magical Engine do it for example..

okay i agree, i complained enough about it so far. So for all who like it - Enjoy playing it and have a lot of fun with it.

Edited by Griever

Healthy criticism = The emulator doesn't improve (At least could add fullscreen-Support) compare with R391. is that not healthy criticsm for example?

Healthy criticism is not saying this :-

NO FULLSCREEN, NO JOYPAD-SUPPORT ? ! ? - What's that? it's just R391. . . 4get this please. Better spend your time with something else.

But saying :-

"I've tested the emulator and it doesn't support full screen or USB joypad. Are these features going to be in a future version?"

That way you don't come off looking like a lady part and insulting the developer at the same time.

• Like 5

It's also a way of constructive, because i ask about fullscreen and about Joystick-support. Or want me to do that do be constructive at least? I don't feel to do it like you, just don't say anything to the programer even you know, this Version of the VJ doesn't help the Jaguar-Emulation...

They way you said it was not constructive. Groovy has beaten me to this point :)

As for not saying anything to the programmer, you are making assumptions, I have spoken to the programmer several times and even sent him demo Jaguar code.

Producing an accurate and fully functional Jag Emu will do a great deal for the Jaguar community as a whole, not just for people who want to play ROMs. Having an accurate emulation of the real hardware can be extremely useful for developing on the Jaguar. I'd much rather the developer worked on the core of the emulator and got it right, rather then polished it's GUI and left it with a naff core.

• Like 5

Exactly what Linkovitch said. For developing, an accurate emulator is vital. There is absolutely no point in having a program running on an emulator and then having it fail on the real machine, as it is the case with many emulators of various other machines that are actually pretty good on their own right. Virtual jaguar is a work in progress, it has a stated goal and eventually it will reach it. What you are criticising is the current state of the affairs and in a very superficial manner -if I may add- without knowing what changed inside the code.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

What's needed is outlined in docs/INSTALL. The basic requirements are gcc, SDL, zlib, and Qt; version numbers are in docs/INSTALL. Assuming those packages are installed and meet the minimum requirements, all you have to do is "make" (without the quotes) in the directory that you downloaded the GIT sources to.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ok, thanks a lot for the help.

I have installed this versions of the requeriments:

o GCC v4.4.x or higher >>> 4.6.3

o SDL v1.2.14 or higher >>> libsdl-1.2.15 // SDL-2.536

o zlib v1.2.5 >>> 1.2.6

o libcdio v0.82 or higher (optional, for Jaguar CD support) >>> 0.82

o OpenGL libraries >> 0.660.0

o Qt 4.7.3 or higher >>> 4.8.2

make ok... no errors

Running ./virtualjaguar ok, a screen with interferences like a old tv appears, but when i select a icon, program close and says "violación de segmento"

predatux@Hackintosh-Pro ~/virtualjaguar $ ./virtualjaguar

Violación de segmento

I'm using Sabayon 64.

zlib is the only requeriment installed with major number of versión. zlib v1.2.5 is not available. May be this is the problem?

Thanks and excuse my poor english.

Regards

This emulator is awesome, the most accurate of all the emulator existing for jaguar.

I can't wait for JagCD emulation so i can test my JagCD release.

and a step by step debugger would be awesome too ! (even if only 68k, it would be really nice for developper !)

• Like 3

griever, if you want to use joypads with vj, get the program called 'joy2key' or a similar program called 'xpadder', and just map the relevant keys to the joypad movements/buttons

All you have to do firstly is remap (within vj) the best key setup for the emulator, i use the arrow keys p o and c x z then program a new config into joy2key with vj's keymap, so i can use proper joypads with vj

joy2key is easier and friendlier to use then xpadder (could never quite figure out xpadder), only thing is the last english version of joy2key was version 3.79, everything since then is either in japanese or chinese

Running ./virtualjaguar ok, a screen with interferences like a old tv appears, but when i select a icon, program close and says "violación de segmento"

<snip>

zlib is the only requeriment installed with major number of versión. zlib v1.2.5 is not available. May be this is the problem?

Could be, it's hard to know without a stack trace. Maybe you can run it using gdb to figure out where the problem is? Do

$ gdb ./virtualjaguar
$ run
(when it crashes, go into the terminal window and type)
$ bt

Then maybe I'll have a chance to figure out what's wrong. ;)

gdb ./virtualjaguar

GNU gdb (Gentoo 7.4.1 p1) 7.4.1

Copyright © 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.

There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"

and "show warranty" for details.

This GDB was configured as "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".

For bug reporting instructions, please see:

<http://bugs.gentoo.org/>...

Reading symbols from /home/predatux/virtualjaguar/virtualjaguar...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

(gdb) run

Starting program: /home/predatux/virtualjaguar/virtualjaguar

warning: Unable to find libthread_db matching inferior's thread library, thread debugging will not be available.

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

0x00007ffff4dabc31 in ?? () from /lib64/libc.so.6

(gdb)

Ok, sorry ;)

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

0x00007ffff4dabc31 in ?? () from /lib64/libc.so.6

(gdb) bt

#0 0x00007ffff4dabc31 in ?? () from /lib64/libc.so.6

#1 0x00007ffff3a2a26c in XSetCommand () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6

#2 0x00007ffff3a2e9ab in XSetWMProperties () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6

#3 0x00007ffff69fdb3a in QWidgetPrivate::create_sys(unsigned long, bool, bool) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#4 0x00007ffff69afb52 in QWidget::create(unsigned long, bool, bool) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#5 0x00007ffff69b9aba in QWidget::setVisible(bool) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#6 0x00007ffff699cdcd in QToolTip::showText(QPoint const&, QString const&, QWidget*, QRect const&) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#7 0x00007ffff699ce9b in QToolTip::showText(QPoint const&, QString const&, QWidget*) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#8 0x00007ffff69b6ed2 in QWidget::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#9 0x00007ffff6966a84 in QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#10 0x00007ffff696bb1f in QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#11 0x00007ffff64352bc in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.4

#12 0x00007ffff696abee in QApplication::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#13 0x00007ffff6966a84 in QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#14 0x00007ffff696b853 in QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#15 0x00007ffff64352bc in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.4

#16 0x00007ffff6465fe2 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.4

#17 0x00007ffff6463a4d in ?? () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.4

#18 0x00007ffff6463a71 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.4

#19 0x00007ffff5bd343a in g_main_context_dispatch () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0

#20 0x00007ffff5bd3800 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0

#21 0x00007ffff5bd38c4 in g_main_context_iteration () from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0

#22 0x00007ffff64641ff in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.4

#23 0x00007ffff6a095fe in ?? () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4

#24 0x00007ffff6433df2 in QEventLoop::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.4

#25 0x00007ffff6434047 in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.4

#26 0x00007ffff6438e65 in QCoreApplication::exec() () from /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.4

#27 0x000000000040c567 in main ()

(gdb)

Well, I've seen this kind of thing happen before on 64-bit machines and not just with Virtual Jaguar but with other Qt based programs. I know it's a longshot, but maybe you could try getting on IRC and talking to the Qt guys about it? They could give you some things to try to solve the problem you're seeing--unfortunately for me, I don't really have any idea how Qt is causing the problem or how to solve it. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again. i have solved the problem.

If i open only ./virtualjaguar, emu crashes.

But if i open ./virtualjaguar /RouteOfTheGame.jag, emu works fine, but there is not sound.

Has the emu sound??

Regards

For another side, i have an original Jaguar joystick, connected by USB with an adaptor (see retrocables page), but the emu does not recognize the joystick.

N64 emulator see the joystick and works fine (all buttons).

Can be solved?

Thanks and excuse my poor english ;)

Edited by Predatux
  • Like 1

Hi again. i have solved the problem.

If i open only ./virtualjaguar, emu crashes.

But if i open ./virtualjaguar /RouteOfTheGame.jag, emu works fine, but there is not sound.

Has the emu sound??

Regards

For another side, i have an original Jaguar joystick, connected by USB with an adaptor (see retrocables page), but the emu does not recognize the joystick.

N64 emulator see the joystick and works fine (all buttons).

Can be solved?

Thanks and excuse my poor english ;)

Can I get a link for the Jag controller to USB adapter. Thanks!