IGNORED

Upcoming Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0 release

Shamus

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually Virtual Jaguar is working on my Mac:

nX7D.jpg

How to make it working? it seems the minimal requirement is Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Previously under OS X.5 Leopard it was first asking for installing QT (which has nothing to see with Quick Time) but then it was only crashingbecause of some missing lib I never found how to fix:

2l9b.jpg

After I upgraded the OS to X.6 Snow Leopard, I did install QT again and now it is working well.

QT is downloadable here: http://qt.nokia.com/...nt-on-mac-os-x/

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 1

I have unearthed a few COF files from a Jaguar project I was building in the mid/late 90's - some of which seem work ok but others don't work at all. I can provide some of these binaries if it helps with debugging/improving VJ. I imagine new Jaguar test code doesn't show up very often. PM me if I can help.

(the project is described here: http://www.leonik.net/dml/sec_lw.py)

• Like 8

I have unearthed a few COF files from a Jaguar project I was building in the mid/late 90's - some of which seem work ok but others don't work at all. I can provide some of these binaries if it helps with debugging/improving VJ. I imagine new Jaguar test code doesn't show up very often. PM me if I can help.

That looks interesting stuff, I'm sure Shamus would love to take a look at those, he's always keen to see where you can break VJ ;-) Well I'm sure everyone will be interested in seeing that kind of stuff! I'm a fan back since your ST/Falcon days, read a little about Livewire and seen an iffy video on here, would be really good to see some binaries go up at some point.

What dev hardware did you use back then? Was it regular Atari stuff or did you have the snasm setup?

Anyway, nice to see you here :D

• Like 4

I think that if you upload a .cof, people would be more than happy to test this on real hardware, let alone run it on emulators :)

• Like 6

That looks interesting stuff, I'm sure Shamus would love to take a look at those, he's always keen to see where you can break VJ ;-) Well I'm sure everyone will be interested in seeing that kind of stuff! I'm a fan back since your ST/Falcon days, read a little about Livewire and seen an iffy video on here, would be really good to see some binaries go up at some point.

I'll put some binaries up for d/l soon although they aren't all interesting. A few small tests for the particle system, enemies, polygon/texturemapping and so on. Some early playfield tests. One or two very early level tests.

I don't quite have the full preview going (the one in the vid) because we split the data away from the executable when it started getting big, and used a script to launch it on the Alpine. It's in two parts and I can't remember how to bake it all into a single ROM. Would need some to time to pick at it and figure it out.

What dev hardware did you use back then? Was it regular Atari stuff or did you have the snasm setup?

Normal (I think) Jaguar, with an Atari Alpine board in the cart slot - the one that looks like a sail. If you were not careful you could easily catch the thing going past the table and drag the board, the jag, cables, monitor and half of the room along with you. I witnessed at least one accident like this with the Alpine.

We didn't use PCs at the time. All work was done on Falcon030's with the TOS toolchain.

Anyway, nice to see you here :D

Cheers :)

• Like 3

I'll put some binaries up for d/l soon although they aren't all interesting. A few small tests for the particle system, enemies, polygon/texturemapping and so on. Some early playfield tests. One or two very early level tests.

That all sounds pretty interesting to me, I'm sure plenty of others will agree.

We didn't use PCs at the time. All work was done on Falcon030's with the TOS toolchain.

Great stuff! Falcon FTW ;-)

• Like 2

I don't quite have the full preview going (the one in the vid) because we split the data away from the executable when it started getting big, and used a script to launch it on the Alpine. It's in two parts and I can't remember how to bake it all into a single ROM. Would need some to time to pick at it and figure it out.

If you want any help getting it converted and assembled, there's a number of people around (myself included) who have and use alpines with the atari tools. I'd be glad to have a look and see if we can't get it all merged together.

How to make it working? it seems the minimal requirement is Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Previously under OS X.5 Leopard it was first asking for installing QT (which has nothing to see with Quick Time) but then it was only crashingbecause of some missing lib I never found how to fix:

2l9b.jpg

Errr - there's no need to do that. What I did (for linux, which had the same problem) was add this to one of the files:

#define bzero(p, s) memset(p, 0, s)

Problem solved. :grin:

Bzero is one of those depricated functions that you sometimes see old-timers still using. It's LONG since been superceded by memset and should actually be removed from any project using it.

Errr - there's no need to do that. What I did (for linux, which had the same problem) was add this to one of the files:

#define bzero(p, s) memset(p, 0, s)

Problem solved. :grin:

Bzero is one of those depricated functions that you sometimes see old-timers still using. It's LONG since been superceded by memset and should actually be removed from any project using it.

You see Shamus? In assembly nothing gets deprecated - you've been using the wrong language all these years!!!!!11111111oneoneoneoneoneoneo

• Like 6

That's not what I meant ;)

Motorola removed the "MOVEP" instruction on the 68060.

Where there actually any popular systems that used the '060 (apart from numerous miggy and falcon/tt upgrades, though i have'nt heard of any st upgrades using '060) as the preferred processor