IGNORED

1450 XLD motherboard build, assorted questions

Vandal968

The number was etched when it was made... in 1983. But assuming they are sequential, we can now start a list of who owns the only known boards in existence. My pilot board (pre-assembled) has a number on it too, but can't make it out.

My bare board is 56 - complete boards are: 77 and 108.

Bob

Vandal968,

Nicely done!!! Reading this thread was like a shorter version "Soul of a New Machine"!!!

Very impressive to get to see one of these in action. Could post a pic of your cased baby? About the case, did you see http://www.atariage....__fromsearch__1 this thread about a new case?

I was looking for the BOM link and couldn't find it. (lots pages to this thread) Could you re-post it?

Please keep us up-to-date on what you are doing with it, and same for anyone else building one :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'd like to see a build of 1450XLD with working drives. (Bob1200XL now that yours is up and running any luck with internal drives?)

It starts the drive when you power on, seeks to track 0 and just sits there on this screen...

post-14708-0-12720800-1316664744_thumb.jpg

Hit RETURN and it boots without internal drives.

Bob

Vandal968,

Nicely done!!! Reading this thread was like a shorter version "Soul of a New Machine"!!!

Very impressive to get to see one of these in action. Could post a pic of your cased baby? About the case, did you see http://www.atariage....__fromsearch__1 this thread about a new case?

I was looking for the BOM link and couldn't find it. (lots pages to this thread) Could you re-post it?

Please keep us up-to-date on what you are doing with it, and same for anyone else building one :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'd like to see a build of 1450XLD with working drives. (Bob1200XL now that yours is up and running any luck with internal drives?)

• Like 1

Vandal968,

Sorry I'm so slow getting back to this. I bought a new cnc mill two weeks ago, and I just picked up a large-format scanner this week that needed some love. Been super-busy. Here are some pictures of the cased machine. It looks good from the front and looks like hell from behind. I'm going to cnc machine a new rear piece very soon using the 1400XL case blueprint that I got from Curt*. I also received the 520ST power supply from Fletch*. Originally, I was going to reduce the -12v supply on it to -5v, but it doesn't have adequate current on that circuit, so I ordered the power supply from MPJA that Bryan* recommended a few pages back and I'm going to put that supply into the 520ST supply enclosure. It should look factory'ish and have plenty of power. The cart chute in the side plastic is milled exactly .600" shorter for the 1450 board. I milled it down on my manual mill and removed the angled joystick slots the same way. I wish I had taken a picture of the setup, but it was about 110deg in my garage that day. Here are some pics, more to come soon.

cheers,

c

*Thanks guys

post-30038-0-36970300-1317348184_thumb.jpg

post-30038-0-73400800-1317348195_thumb.jpg

post-30038-0-44631700-1317348209_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vandal968
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the cad layout for the 1400XL rear panel, some of the text is different from the other models. The PBI port on the 600XL & 800XL is labeled "PARALLEL BUS", but on the 1400XL it appears to say "EXPANSION CONNECTOR" instead. I am referencing a photo that I found in this forum, and it's difficult to see. If anyone has a real 1400XL and can verify the text for me, I'd appreciate it.

cheers,

c

post-30038-0-87753400-1318794540_thumb.gif

Edited by Vandal968

It says "EXPANSION CONNECTOR".

Bob

Here is the cad layout for the 1400XL rear panel, some of the text is different from the other models. The PBI port on the 600XL & 800XL is labeled "PARALLEL BUS", but on the 1400XL it appears to say "EXPANSION CONNECTOR" instead. I am referencing a photo that I found in this forum, and it's difficult to see. If anyone has a real 1400XL and can verify the text for me, I'd appreciate it.

cheers,

c

I made big progress today on the power supply. I had been using two power supplies tethered together. One was a 12v/5v supply from an external HDD, and the other was a random 5v supply. The positive side of the random 5v supply was connected to the Negative side of the 12v supply so that I could achieve -5v. It worked fine but looked like crap. Fletch sent me a nice 520st supply, which I was hoping would be usable as-is (just swap a connector and add a regulator) but unfortunately, the negative supply in that one was only good for 30ma. That current is so low that I thought (hoped) that it might be a typo, since 300ma for the -5v supply would have been plenty. When I opened it, I discovered that the wire for the negative supply was a single strand of copper only 0.010 in diameter! Thinner than a cat's whisker! I guess it really is only 30ma.

I got a nice bare board supply from MPJA and set about removing the guts from the 520st supply. The cover came off easily, it was glued on, but the glue had become brittle over time. The circuit board also came out no-problem. The potted transformer was another story. The new power supply board was just barely too long to fit inside with the transformer in-place so it had to come out. I chain-drilled around it, and chipped and chiseled and cursed, and eventually it came out with the case still intact. I then had to fabricate some standoffs for the new PSU board and install those (done yesterday). Today, I fabricated standoffs for the cover itself. I drilled the cover to take (4) countersunk screws then made 2.65" long standoffs out of 3/8" diameter delrin, attached them to the cover. Put a blob of JB Weld on the bottom of each one, and installed the cover with a weight on top of it until it cures. The PSU will now open with (4) screws and the board inside can be removed with another (4) as they should have done it from the factory. I've taken some pictures along the way. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

On a side-note: when I completed the electrical connections I decided to fire-up the machine to test. My 3-year old saw me turning it on and said "Daddy, play copter!" which translates to "Choplifter!". I fired it up and played a quick game, my score was 61 which is a new personal best, my previous record was 59 and a perfect game is 64. It is a good day.

cheers,

c

• Like 2

Well, thanks to Mimo, I now have my first 1450 motherboard to build :)

I have some XL's on the way that I'll use for part donors and #1 order to Best Electronics for PAL-A, PAL-B, Freddie, S6551 and some modem XTALS is on the way.

Already received the SC-01-A chips, time to make a list of parts for an order to Digikey. The 74LSxxx IC's will be bought at the local electronics stores. Also bought 4 PAL16R4's on ebay, just need to find a way to program them now (Hint, Hint :) )

Jay

( Hey cool, post# matches my old Boy Scout Troop # )

Edited by AtariGeezer