IGNORED

Which game should be ported to ATARI 2600 ?

Here are my suggestions (one's that I'll eventually do if no one else does). These I feel would actually be do-able on the 2600 with little sacrifices to gameplay (and they are games that I personally like too! :)):

In no particular order:

Mappy

Super Pac-man and/or Baby Pac-man

Scramble

Food Fight

Major Havoc

If I had to choose one game to re-write, it would be Donkey Kong.

One game to finish: Elevator Action

For the ADV2 you might not have to make it so Adventure like, which was limited due to ROM size and how early in the Atari's life the game was made. For example, the first 2 locations could easily have different left/right backgrounds. Also changing the background color from green to blue to green for the bridge over the river location would look much better.

But part of the charm of Adventure was its use of limited system resources. Sure a modern kernel could eliminate most of the sprite flicker, but then it wouldn't be the same.

Also, the dragons are missing the "belly-hole" (BTW, I wonder why Warren didn't double-size the dragons to make them scarier?)

Here are my suggestions (one's that I'll eventually do if no one else does). These I feel would actually be do-able on the 2600 with little sacrifices to gameplay (and they are games that I personally like too! :)):

In no particular order:

Mappy

Scramble

Food Fight

Major Havoc

Good list, though I'm disappointed that the only shmup on the list is Scramble. I would like to see some more homebrew shmups on the 2600. There aren't many of them that aren't SI clones. Oystron is awesome, but it's more of a puzzle shooter than a straight up shooter. The SI clones and Rainbow Invaders are great too, but I think a scrolling vertical shmup with power ups is possible and the 2600 needs more of them.

In no particular order:

Mappy

Scramble

Food Fight

Major Havoc

Good list, though I'm disappointed that the only shmup on the list is Scramble. I would like to see some more homebrew shmups on the 2600. There aren't many of them that aren't SI clones. Oystron is awesome, but it's more of a puzzle shooter than a straight up shooter. The SI clones and Rainbow Invaders are great too, but I think a scrolling vertical shmup with power ups is possible and the 2600 needs more of them.

Well, I'd love to do Galaga - maybe now that the SARA chip is available this one may be do-able. :)

Those Adventure 2 for the 2600 mock ups are AWESOME!!

That adventure 2 for atari 2600 looks great i must say

Thank you.

Those pics are as accurate as an actual game screen with double resolution, which can be done by the way!

Not that I figured out how; but doubling the reso was done already. I did a complete map of the FB2 adv II for the purpose of helping me to make a graphically improved version of the same game.

I think this is the first map anyone has ever bothered to put together:

post-7623-1154248164_thumb.jpg

I still would like a better version of adv II; but I'll vouch to hack an ADV 3 instead. Maybe I should do a poll on this matter. I have something mapped out already couple of months back, but it still needs work. I'll get back on it after I finish my current Medevial Mayhem dragon project.

Enjoy the map.

I think this is the first map anyone has ever bothered to put together:

Very nice. Any possibility of a RtHH map?

Heh... it took me a while to figure out what RtHH meant :lol:! (RETURN to HAUNTED HOUSE)

That might take more time to do. (It's very dark in there!) and I never finished playing through it yet.

Maybe Tony Wong already has one available. He's the author of that game and I'll have to find out from him before I decide about starting one.

Hi everybody!

The one game I wanted to see on the 2600 was MAKE TRAX!

I had heard that there was one made for Colecovision but never released.

I did a mockup a few years ago of what I had hoped it would look like-

mt2600maze1.gif

then, I tried my hand at some title screens-

mttitle.gif

AND

mt2600title.gif

closeup of the brush using player2600-

brush1.gif

I even went so far as to do mockups of the front and back of the box-

MKA1%20copy.gif

MKA2.gif

Thanks

Ray

www.abrightideaamusements.com

Hi everybody!

The one game I wanted to see on the 2600 was MAKE TRAX!

I had heard that there was one made for Colecovision but never released.

I did a mockup a few years ago of what I had hoped it would look like-

I would love to see Make Trax also, but your mockups are impossible to recreate for a number of reasons, one being the asymetrical playfield.

I know it cant look like it does. But you know as well as I do- It dosent matter what it looks like- the gameplay's the thing! and I know the 2600 can do that!

Hey P.I.X.L. nice box design. You remind me of my own entuse for certain titles and I like make traks too. I can see you have the art skill but not the other (programing) which is where I'm at also. Your mock up looks like fun, but I agree that certain aspects are not doable for the system but the idea is still very possible. Maybe someone who understands the limitations better can help tweek the pic to more accurately represent what the VCS really can make possible. I've seen this happen to a Zaxxon mock up a couple of pages earlier in this tread. :cool:

Conversions I'd like to see (not that I know if all of them could be done):

Arcade: Mappy, Mr. Driller, Do! Run Run, Mr. Do!'s Wild Ride, Qix, Satan's Hollow, Make Trax, Assault (uses two joysticks).

NES: Clu Clu Land

C64: Dizzy

Originals I'd like to see made:

Pitfall III - Don't worry about a DPC, just get something readily available to use instead.

Dragonfire II - I think this one could be nice. Keep the opening screen basically the same, but once you get inside the castle have multiple levels. It could be done as a Hunchy II but instead you're always going to the left. You have to make your way down to the dungeon where the dragon and the treasure is... or if you want to make it "Mystique"-like you have to make it up the tower and rescue the princess and steal her virginity by breaking through the metal chastity belt like Men in Tights movie.

I don't think Pengo needs to be on the list anymore. I just found out the ROM image I've had all these years was a prototype. It's still short of johnnywc quality, but Atari did a much better job than I had realized.

Yes Pengo is called Brick Kick on the Atari, it is pretty good but could still look better, I may one day hack it into Pengo, make the sprits look a little more like real Pengo.

Wade

Satan's Hollow is impossible, this is why I know, when it came out for the C64 it was said that it absolutely pushed the C64 to it's limits. Really it was thought impossible on the C64 until someone made it! :-D

By the way I missed that side scroller pic of Zaxxon AWESOME now that is real Zaxxon the way Coleco should have done it! :D:D:D

I don't think Pengo needs to be on the list anymore. I just found out the ROM image I've had all these years was a prototype. It's still short of johnnywc quality, but Atari did a much better job than I had realized.

Yes Pengo is called Brick Kick on the Atari, it is pretty good but could still look better, I may one day hack it into Pengo, make the sprits look a little more like real Pengo.

Wade

Huh? Pengo is called Pengo on the 2600 and the sprites do look something like real Pengo. http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=351