IGNORED

Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0 released!

Shamus

I do. Dusty fans, VJ hogging the CPU, thermal shutdown :P

I'll see about getting a new AM2+ fan (and some thermal paste for fan and proccy) since i think the socket 754 fan i guess is the reason why the PC might be shutting down, though the fan does work (has been for the last 3/4 months)

With that revision I've finally gotten the DSP/JERRY into its own thread. The gains are quite dramatic in terms of audio quality alone and I fully intend to keep pushing on in this direction; the ultimate goal being that all the Jaguar subsystems will run in their own independent threads.

Great! I normally use a fairly low-power CoreDuo system, so having the DSP in its own thread should make sound worth enabling. :)

• Like 1

Just tried svn 420 (nabbed it from emucr), i unzipped it to the same directory as the previous svn (418), as soon as i click on the exec. i get this messaqge (win xp) 'can't locate a component' and saying that it can't find one of the 'QTxxx. dll files, even though it (the file that can't be located) was unzipped along with the 420 exec. into the same directory/folder as the exec.

Then i tried going back to svn 418 (by unzipping the contents of that zip file over the same directory i just unzipped 420 into and I got the same error msg (i.e the one about 'can't find component' etc etc

On the flip side though....and i can't figure this out, both cybermorph and doom work in svn 417 but not svn 418 (perhaps the emulation for these game carts is broken on 418 but working in 417) though the sound lag in AvP is evident in 417 but fixed in 418

Edited by carmel_andrews

The latest versions of VirtualJaguar don't need any DLLs - so you've managed to arse up a single .exe file!

Well done!

Wrong again DH....It (VJ) comes supplied with DLLs, If you'd bothered to take your head out of your arse and look at the zip file that VJ is supplied with

I have not had any luck getting the 3d demos to work on VJ. I get a black screen. Has anyone else had any luck with these and VJ? I'm wondering if I dont have an option set right.

Personally ive found VJ doesnt like binary files without a header on them (using SLN or ALN with the -n flag set) it seems to hang on the fuzzy screen (frozen of-course) This is just my own observation from using it to test a few things lately back and fourth between emulators and the real hardware. It may have something to do with the way it initializes the video or sets up the OBJ list. Could be a million things honestly. i dont think it would be anything settings wise on your end.

The latest versions of VirtualJaguar don't need any DLLs - so you've managed to arse up a single .exe file!

Well done!

Wrong again DH....It (VJ) comes supplied with DLLs, If you'd bothered to take your head out of your arse and look at the zip file that VJ is supplied with

Wrong. Again. I get mine straight from Shamus. DUH. VirtualJaguar.exe is all that is needed. Considering I've been developing games exclusively using it for the last 2 months due to all my hardware being packed up, I think I'd know.

post-11520-0-15355500-1338301668_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ummm... if you're going to use EmuCR's builds you're going to have to report these kinds of issues to them, not the VJ devs. When you speak with EmuCR, maybe try not mentioning arses or anything that might be stuck in them and definitely refrain from referring to them as DHs, you'll probably find that works best. 1UP.

• Like 8

Ummm... if you're going to use EmuCR's builds you're going to have to report these kinds of issues to them, not the VJ devs. When you speak with EmuCR, maybe try not mentioning arses or anything that might be stuck in them and definitely refrain from referring to them as DHs, you'll probably find that works best. 1UP.

In reference to your post SH3RG, perhaps you would be advised to observe the following

1- You imply/infer in your reply that the svn/revision carried by EMUCR as ''unofficial''

Perhaps you can then explain to me as to why, on the OFFICIAL VJ svn forum over at ngemu, the main or principle programmer behind VJ, namely Shamus, not only refers to by also comments on svn/revision 420 following another user having the same issue with 420 as I did. not only does Shamus refer to and comment on that particular revsion/svn's, he (i am guessing shamus is a HE) ACTUALLY PROPOSES AND SUGGESTS 2 POSSIBLE FIXES/SOLUTIONS, namely to refer back to svn 419 (which according to shamus's actual post is no different to 420) and also shamus in the 2nd solution/fix, posts up a zip file with the missing DLL FILES, now if as you inferred or implied that the emucr carried version was únofficial, then why did shamus bother himself with replying to that particular users issue or problem with the emulator, the fact that shamus bothered himself in replying to that users problem/issue (and provided solution or rectification to said issue/problem) must therefore indicate or imply that shamus did not have any issue or problem with the emucr carried version, unlike what you seemed to imply and infer in your post

secondly i wasn't trying to 'bug' the maintainers/developers of VJ over the svn 420 issue (like you seemed to infer or imply in your post), I mentioned the issue regarding svn 420 in the generic/general context just in case someone else happened to download that same svn from the same site and have the same problem as i did

Also I wasn't calling EmuCR a DH and I would never call EmuCR a DH since they offer a much needed service to anyone remotely interested in emulation and unlike some other so called 'emulation' sites, EmuCR does a better job of updating the market/community in respect/regards to the current state of the emulation market/community as well as the various emulations and formats/platforms emulators run on

Additionally some issues i noticed with VJ

In AvP in some or all of the recent SVNs (since vj was updated), when you boot up the cartridge image, there seems to be some garbled graphics on the top and left side border area (this also happens on some other cartridge images but on the left side border)

In the same game, if you use PAL mode (as opposed to NTSC) the screen isn't correctly centered (it's too far to the right), which means in the main game screen, part of the weapon readout region is chopped/lopped of)

In revision 418, sometimes if you switch/go to another application (while VJ is running), VJ's UI and application seems to freeze/lock up for some moments

Also, i am not sure if this is a bug or just a 'feature' shamus did'nt let on about, but when you start up the emulator, it momentarily displays the last screen image of the last game you were using in the previous VJ emulation session, before going on to simulate/emulate the jaguar in 'power off' mode

Also like someone attempted to do, but seemed to give up a few posts or pages into the VJ thread on ngmenu forums, perhaps someone can come up with a definitive list of what (game images) works and what does not work (properly) on the various revisions/svn's of VJ

I'll make a start

AvP (rev 417)...Plays at the proper framerate and has the sound lag issue, in 418 Perfect, in 419/420. no sound lag but doesn't play at the proper frame rate (goes very slowly)

Cybermorph/Doom...Don't bother trying to run these games on anything after 417, the emulation is broken, same goes for iron soldier, the screen blanks/blacks out after the weapon select screen

Power drive rally (418), crashes after a couple of minutes into the first race

Edited by carmel_andrews

1- You imply/infer in your reply that the svn/revision carried by EMUCR as ''unofficial''

Correct. An EmuCR build is not an "official" VJ build. EmuCR can check out anything they like from the public svn and build their own binaries, as could you or anyone else. I believe that's what they do in order to have the hottest warez for their site. It's good that people do this, in fact Reboot used to do this with an auto-builder tool that took the latest source and served up a corresponding binary for download, but I doubt it's something VJ devs would offer support with.

Perhaps you can then explain to me as to why <snip>

It's not my place to and I am far from inclined to explain anything to you, as it seems you don't even have an understanding of what svn is or how it is used and I'd rather not waste the remainder of the afternoon getting you up to speed with the basics of why your angry rant was both misguided and unnecessary.

secondly i wasn't trying to 'bug' the maintainers/developers of VJ over the svn 420 issue (like you seemed to infer or imply in your post), I mentioned the issue regarding svn 420 in the generic/general context just in case someone else happened to download that same svn from the same site and have the same problem as i did

I think what you meant to say is "in case someone else downloaded that build".

You were reporting an issue with an EmuCR build to the VJ dev, which, to do a classic T-turd if I may, is like complaining to Warburtons that the sandwich your Mum made you for lunch had too much salad cream on it for your somewhat refined taste (or more simply, like reporting faulty workmanship to the manufacturer of the materials, if you're unlucky enough to be unaware of the wonders of Warburtons bread :P ).

All EmuCR releases have a comments section. Maybe you could make use this feature should similar issues arise in future.

Also I wasn't calling EmuCR a DH

No, it was quite clear who was in your sights with that comment as it was a direct reply. It was also equally clear that I did not say anything of the sort.

As we're on the subject of clarity... read and digest: http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/

p.s. Could you clarify something for me? Does DH stand for Deadbeat Haxx0r, Donkey Hugger or Dearest Honneybunny?

• Like 8

Well done!

Actually, over at ngemu forum someone posted about this same issue. I then grabbed the latest SVN (420) from Shamus' server and compiled it and got the same QT not found messages.

So, I copied them over from the msys folder into the VJ folder and it worked perfectly.

If any one needs them and can't be bothered to get them from their own msys environment (shame on you) then they are all here in this rar file http://rich.eq2.co.uk//vj/QT.rar

Not sure about on Lunix systems, maybe it works fine, but on the Win32 platforms VJ has always needed sdl.dll putting in it's folder. Unless you can change the paths for VJ so it can find them on your machine but I've never gone that route as it's easy just to keep the dlls in the vj folder.

Anyone knows any better then let me know so I can test it on this machine, always glad to be proved wrong if it's for the better :D

Hope my little post helps someone though.

Ricardo.

PS: Just to clarify, this is for win7 and win Vista. I am not sure about WinXP as I don't have a system on which to try it.

Edited by Ricardo99
  • Like 1

I have not had any luck getting the 3d demos to work on VJ. I get a black screen. Has anyone else had any luck with these and VJ? I'm wondering if I dont have an option set right.

Personally ive found VJ doesnt like binary files without a header on them (using SLN or ALN with the -n flag set) it seems to hang on the fuzzy screen (frozen of-course) This is just my own observation from using it to test a few things lately back and fourth between emulators and the real hardware. It may have something to do with the way it initializes the video or sets up the OBJ list. Could be a million things honestly. i dont think it would be anything settings wise on your end.

Should I try converting it to a ROM file?

Should I try converting it to a ROM file?

ive found using the ROM feature in jiffi (converting to) will clear up most of the issues and replace the header or add one that does work that VJ recognizes. if it loads in ram $4000-$20000-4...) then just let jiffi try to auto detect the start/load address and click rom and convert. should do the job.

ok did that. And it gets up to the Jaguar boot screen now which it didnt before, but then stops there.

Well, I've had a quick look at the binary's header the other day and it looks like a standard COFF/ABS header and indeed jiffi recognizes it as one. So this one's up to shamus as it seems it's an emulation issue (especially if this is running on a real machine).

ok did that. And it gets up to the Jaguar boot screen now which it didnt before, but then stops there.

Well, I've had a quick look at the binary's header the other day and it looks like a standard COFF/ABS header and indeed jiffi recognizes it as one. So this one's up to shamus as it seems it's an emulation issue (especially if this is running on a real machine).

Yes it runs on a real machine. Its the tri.abs file I recorded the first video from: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/18940-jaguars-polygon-pushing-power/page__st__75#entry2529781

• 2 weeks later...

Is there some reason why some games work on the emulator and some games don't....I am guessing the games use the same code (jagaur wise) the same hardware and pretty much the same protection system (i.e preventing software/rom or code copying etc)

Or is it that with every svn or 'official' release of the emulator, bit's of code change will result in certain games not working

With official releases we try to keep the compatibility somewhat stable. With SVN releases, you are in danger of it raping your dog. :)

The long and the short of it is that some Jaguar code is more sensitive to timing and other issues than others, and there are still some things that are not well known about the Jaguar hardware. And in pursuit of making things work the way they should, sometimes changes will break things that were working.

tl;dr: Expect SVN to break stuff. ;)

• Like 1

And speaking of SVN, thanks to LinkoVitch we have regular win32 SVN builds again. Just point your browser at http://outrage.the-crow.co.uk/builds/ to get 'em. :)

Side note: Official SVN builds like these require no DLLs; they're pretty much self-contained. If you use these builds, you can safely nuke any DLLs in your VJ installation directory. ;)

Edited by Shamus
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...