IGNORED

Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0 released!

Shamus

Dunno, haven't looked at any TBH other the fractal terrain ones that someone else posted. Assuming they don't work because they expose bugs in the emulation (vs. bad file format--fix your file plz kthxbye), we'll get around to figuring out why they don't work. :)

BTW, new win32 build is up (vj-20120717.zip) which corrects the configure dialog crash.

Side note: There will be no more vj-r###.zip builds now that we're using GIT. There is no concept of revision numbers there, so we have to use the date of the last commit for bleeding-edge builds (official releases will still use the conventional numbering scheme--2.1.0 being next). :P

• Like 1

Side note: Official SVN builds like these require no DLLs; they're pretty much self-contained. If you use these builds, you can safely nuke any DLLs in your VJ installation directory. ;)

Read this and removed all the DLL files from the vj install folder (except sdl.dll as I figure that's a must on Windows7) and I got dll errors. Namely:

libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll

mingwm10.dll

QtCore4.dll

QtGui4.dll

QtOpenGL4.dll

and indeed I do need to have sdl.dll in the install folder

It might be a mingw32 or Windows7 issue, but I do need to have those files in the VJ folder. At least on the svn and GiT builds I have done.

Ricardo.

• 7 months later...

I'm using it to do some hobby programming on various old console systems and a lot of the emulators and tools for various systems just won't run on Windows 7 64 bit. Plus some of the programs that I'm using to develop my own tools for only work on Windows XP or earlier. For example, I have an old version of Borland C++ Builder that just won't run on anything past XP. And I don't have a Windows XP upgrade disk to upgrade this particular machine or I'd at least upgrade to that.

I'm using it to do some hobby programming on various old console systems and a lot of the emulators and tools for various systems just won't run on Windows 7 64 bit. Plus some of the programs that I'm using to develop my own tools for only work on Windows XP or earlier. For example, I have an old version of Borland C++ Builder that just won't run on anything past XP. And I don't have a Windows XP upgrade disk to upgrade this particular machine or I'd at least upgrade to that.

If you are using Windows 7 Professional or better you can try "Windows 7 - XP Mode" which is essentially Windows XP running under Windows 7 in a virtual machine.

Robert

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cart Cover Art

As a longtime Atarian I have had every Atari system ever made including the Atari 1200 XL

I like what is being done with Virtual Jaguar.

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if I can add my own cartridge scans to the software folder? How would I link the .png file.

I'm using the Mac OSX version.

I just got through un-zipping the files so that the emulator could read them.

I thought VJ worked with the ZIPs? Don't you just add your image file to the archive? Am I misunderstanding?! (probably!)

And do the .pngs have to be exactly 365X168 ?

Experiment! :lol:

Under the built in documentation (Help | Contents) you will find:

For The Curious

If you’re wondering why some cartridges have labels in the “Insert Cartridge...” dialog and some don’t, read on...

Virtual Jaguar looks at your ZIP file as a container—if it finds what it expects in the ZIP, it will use it. For example, label images: If you put an image file of a cartridge label in the ZIP file with your ROM image, Virtual Jaguar will use that image in the “Insert Cartridge...” dialog—assuming it’s a valid image file. The image should be 365 x 168 for it to show up on the big cartridge image without any scaling; any bigger is just a waste of space and Virtual Jaguar will scale it down to 365 x 168 anyway.

Using the ZIP file as a container this way opens up some exciting possibilities: Box art, overlays and documentation can be included and future versions of Virtual Jaguar will be able to utilize them.

HTH! :)

Edited by Shamus
  • Like 3

365x168 is actually a requirement from the Qt framework, if you use a different sized bitmap then the library will flip out and proceed into executing GPU code in main, therefore imploding the emulator's running process.

Now, if Shamus were to switch to libretro though..... NONE OF THAT WOULD HAPPEN!!!11111

(yep, internal jokes for Shamus mostly, sorry about the noise ;))

• Like 5