IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

I cannot hear any in-game sound in the youtube-video. Not implemented yet? Why are diamonds in triangle shape?

The video does not have sound, but the game has amazing sound.

The diamonds have exactly 4 pixels width to play with. If you can draw a good "diamond" shape 4 pixels wide, let me know!

All choices made in the port are the best that Thomas and I have been able to come up with, given the limitations of the platform. I happen to like the diamonds!

Cheers

A

How about this?

post-7232-0-71045600-1319762813_thumb.jpg

OK. Now put a whole bunch together in (say) a 10x10 grid. Does it still look like diamonds?

No!

Cheers

A

I cannot hear any in-game sound in the youtube-video. Not implemented yet? Why are diamonds in triangle shape?

The video does not have sound, but the game has amazing sound.

The diamonds have exactly 4 pixels width to play with. If you can draw a good "diamond" shape 4 pixels wide, let me know!

All choices made in the port are the best that Thomas and I have been able to come up with, given the limitations of the platform. I happen to like the diamonds!

Cheers

A

How about this?

post-7232-0-71045600-1319762813_thumb.jpg

OK. Now put a whole bunch together in (say) a 10x10 grid. Does it still look like diamonds?

No!

Cheers

A

You never said anything about having them next to each other :-D

I am incredibly stoked about this.

Incredibly. Next to Jumpman Jr., this was an all-time favorite as a kid.

And there's music, too! And it's awesome!

Hmm, Call of Duty:MW3 for $70+ or Boulder Dash for a 30-year old system for $70+ . . . . the choice is clear! (Uhmm, both, I guess!)

-a2a

I don't see the harm in trying something different and seeing which looks the best on screen. I dont mind the current ones either, but maybe this will look a little bit better? It would also stop the naysayers who would say "but those aren't diamonds, they're triangles".

I presume it wouldn't be hard for Andrew and Thomas to try this if they haven't already?

This is what it would look like with multiple rows:

post-7232-0-40666900-1319765500_thumb.jpg

Just a brief comment on the video. It appears to be jumpy and inconsistent in speed. The game itself shows none of these faults. It's just a poor video encoding. I think Al will be putting up a replacement video soon which will hopefully show the silky smooth gameplay better.

Cheers

A

I don't see the harm in trying something different and seeing which looks the best on screen. I dont mind the current ones either, but maybe this will look a little bit better? It would also stop the naysayers who would say "but those aren't diamonds, they're triangles".

I presume it wouldn't be hard for Andrew and Thomas to try this if they haven't already?

Technically, not too difficult. However... trust me... I've been through dozens of iterations and we currently have the best that's been found. There's a youtube video showing an alternate diamond test. At this stage I really just want to settle down and move on.

Just a brief comment on the video. It appears to be jumpy and inconsistent in speed. The game itself shows none of these faults. It's just a poor video encoding. I think Al will be putting up a replacement video soon which will hopefully show the silky smooth gameplay better.

Cheers

A

Yes, I'll be taking a new video tomorrow and posting it. Won't know how "smooth" it'll be until I have it done. :)

..Al

Technically, not too difficult. However... trust me... I've been through dozens of iterations and we currently have the best that's been found. There's a youtube video showing an alternate diamond test. At this stage I really just want to settle down and move on.

I guess its easy for me to sit here and throw around possibilities. You and Thomas are probably exhausted from getting this to where it is and as with all these projects, where you are reaching the end you just want to finish it off. At the end of the day its up to you as to whether you want to trial it out or not and I wonuldnt be upset either way!

Now, I really don't want to get into much of a discussion about this, because this is a thread *announcing* the game will be available for Christmas. It's not an "in development" thread. The game is finished. However, I do appreciate you have taken some time to try out variations... and so to show you what your diamond looks like, here's a screen-shot of both types together. As I said, I have tried many variants -- I'm happy with the existing version.

post-214-0-82221300-1319793920_thumb.png

• Like 1

If my English skills don't fail me, this is a limited run of only 250 copies. If it wasn't so limited then I would be more patient. Until then, I'm willing to pay now. :-D

To be totally clear, our agreement with First Star Software Inc., is for production of 250 copies only.

Cheers

A