IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

Ah, nous parlons francais? Heureusement je parle un petit peut francais mais pas beaucoup pour poser tout les mots en ce langue...

Anyway, I checked Cosmic Ark with that particular Junior 2600 and it shows the expected same behavior of diagonal stripes seemingly wandering left for a couple of frames.

Could anyone direct me towards the most recent discussion on the general star-field effect and its dependence on hardware?

I found those:

http://www.atariage....erent-consoles/

http://2600connectio...ia/vcs_tia.html

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by enthusi

Ah, nous parlons francais? Heureusement je parle un petit peut francais mais pas beaucoup pour poser tout les mots en ce langue...

Hehe, I dared to write in french, because Rhod is french, I wondered wether I'd write a translation or not, but my question was not very important. Sorry I won't do it again :)

(btw does Andrew speak french too, or was his reply thank to google trad ? ;) )

About Cosmic ark, I'm not sure to have this cartridge (I already played it, but I may be confusing with emulators), I'll check soon.

Hehe, I dared to write in french, because Rhod is french . . .

But can you write in

:

"Well a very, very heavy ah heavy drit, bertation tonight. We had a very dare, darerson. Bite, let's go ahead terror tastin' those lil' bit that had the pet."

But can you write in

:

"Well a very, very heavy ah heavy drit, bertation tonight. We had a very dare, darerson. Bite, let's go ahead terror tastin' those lil' bit that had the pet."

Umm well, writing ? no... but if you could hear myself speaking english, it's quite similar :)

• Like 1

would have been nice to play this game from CC2, the demo works fine

so spoiled by multicarts that i'm too lazy to take my BD out of the box to play :(

You should be playing the boxed version. There were several months of intensive speed optimisation on the engine code after the demo was released. The final version not only has all the extra levels, of course, but it is also smoother, faster, and visually much improved. Please understand, the demo is but a shadow of the finished product. A bit like the difference between any prototype and the finished product.

Open the box... plug in the cartridge. That's the best way to enjoy it, and quite the entire point about releasing it.

• Like 1

And so I did ;-) Took the VCS with me on vacation and though there was little time, we had some rounds of BD.

Supersmooth playing. Cave A and B where no issue at all but the C one always was pretty tight on my timinig so I failed several times. I guess I didnt find/memorize a proper route yet ;-)

Cave D needs the player to 'generate' Diamonds. A concept new to me (never played BD on the C64 actually :) but Im on it.

About 1800 ish points so far...

I can post pictures on occasion ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew and Thomas, congrats again on an awesome game, and on selling out (in a good way).

So 250 copies makes for the 4th best-selling game on AtariAge, eh? Given Nathan Strum's comment over in the misconception thread, some people apparently believe you can earn a living making homebrews like this. Maybe some actual numbers can set those people straight.

Or maybe not. I can see this happening:

"You make games for old systems? That's cool! You can make lots of money in old systems now!"

"Actually, even the most popular games still only sell a couple hundred copies."

"That's still good, right?" ...or... "So you just make a couple dozen games a year, right? After all, it's not that hard to make them."

• 3 weeks later...

My friend and I used to think that the Atari was 4 bits, and the Game Cube, PS2 were 128 bits. We just assigned arbitrary binary power "bit" numbers to everything based on the apparent graphical quality of the systems. Every video game generation had twice the bits of the previous, except 32 got skipped over for some reason. PONG would have probably gotten a "1-bit" rating. That was before I got into retro collecting, starting with an NES in 2002. We were pretty ignorant back then.

Looks to me like it's sold out. Been waiting for a while for that to happen.

It's now officially a collector's item. There will NOT be any more made.

Cheers

A

So it's officially sold out, eh? Glad I got my copy when I did. Like I said to Albert (I think it was him) at the PRGE, it's impressive to look at when you watch the demo, but when you actually play it, it's absolutely mind-blowing.

A hearty congrats to both you and Thomas for making an excellent, EXCELLENT game!

• Like 2

I'm not sure if I'm wrong headed in this, but, I never got into Bolderdash. What thrilled me - and what I'm most appreciated of - is that Andrew actively shared his knowledge. I love hearing about scheduling techniques, proto threads etc..

Because of developers like him the disconnect between game players and game programmers feels almost non-existent.