IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

I think Solidcorp has finally cottoned on to the fact that cd-w is finishing his version and has decided to make his release available before it becomes worthless. Better to get a couple of $'000 for it than nothing ;)

Given cd-w's version is almost complete, I imagine most collectors will wait to purchase his copy...

• Like 3

Yeh.. BITD (especially around the crash) who woulda thought we'd be playing new games 35 years later. This is what the hobby is all about and a fantastic addition to the catalog. As much as I don't care for StarCastle (not my style of game), this is really nice bit of work. Surely to be appreciated by all who pass this way.

I think Solidcorp has finally cottoned on to the fact that cd-w is finishing his version and has decided to make his release available before it becomes worthless. Better to get a couple of $'000 for it than nothing ;)

Given cd-w's version is almost complete, I imagine most collectors will wait to purchase his copy...

How so? Did SC drop the price to something reasonable? You said $2000 (couple of thousand)..??

And if I was to puchase StarCastle I would definitely get the cd-w edition. All sorts of goodness surrounds it.

But I just don't play this style of game for me to warrant a purchase. I'll d'l the binaries and check the progress and go WOW! But that's about it. My gaming interests lie in Missile Command and Space Invaders kinds-of-stuff on the 2600.

Thanks for all the complements!

I'm planning to release a cart version when it is done. As with my other titles, any profit will go directly to AtariAge to help keep this site running.

Chris

Edited by cd-w
  • Like 9

Thanks for all the complements!

I'm planning to release a cart version when it is done. As with my other titles, any profit will go directly to AtariAge to help keep this site running.

Chris

If you feel so inclined, and Stella has helped you in creating this game, would you consider a donation of a cart to the Stella project?

• Like 1

If you feel so inclined, and Stella has helped you in creating this game, would you consider a donation of a cart to the Stella project?

I definitely will send you a cart once it is done - the Stella emulator has been invaluable in developing my homebrew games.

Chris

Edited by cd-w
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I'd need one of those Starplex controllers cuz Homey don't play Star Castle with joysticks.

Get one rmaerz!!!

I just got one today, and the action is better than I expected!

It has buttons with a light spring that you can tap very quickly.

I will always compare it to the action of a regular arcade button, and it is quite close!

Picture attached.

P.S. If you want one cheap, and without woodgrain sticker (black):

https://www.atari2600.com/item--Deluxe-Videogame-Controller--ATA26CON0194.html

post-29575-0-86423700-1333662133_thumb.jpg

I'd need one of those Starplex controllers cuz Homey don't play Star Castle with joysticks.

Get one rmaerz!!!

I just got one today, and the action is better than I expected!

It has buttons with a light spring that you can tap very quickly.

I will always compare it to the action of a regular arcade button, and it is quite close!

Picture attached.

P.S. If you want one cheap, and without woodgrain sticker (black):

https://www.atari260...A26CON0194.html

It's very tempting!

I couldn't get the last version of Star Castle to work in Stella 3.4 - the game either sits at "Get Ready" or "Paused"

Edited by rmaerz

I couldn't get the last version of Star Castle to work in Stella 3.4 - the game either sits at "Get Ready" or "Paused"

The most recent release of Star Castle requires Stella 3.5.5. The next release will require Stella 3.6.1. I suggest to upgrade to 3.6.1 when you get a chance.

I felt like digging this out, from a personal message to solidcorp on 22/Jun/2011...

"To think that your stuff is somehow different or special... is misguided. Any competent programmer can do the same, and there are a few very very good ones who could probably do better."

Chris... I think you just proved the point, and although I haven't seen the other version... I doubt it could be done much better than your effort. Very well done, and thanks for the interesting ride!

Cheers

A

• Like 3

"To think that your stuff is somehow different or special... is misguided. Any competent programmer can do the same, and there are a few very very good ones who could probably do better."

You are always refreshingly honest with your (true) opinion. :D

BTW: I tend to believe that BD is different and special. ;)

• Like 1

OK maybe one thing I have noticed.. the new version is 28 kB compared to 8 (?) in that other version...

Yes, the format changed slightly from 24K to 28K. In fact, that's the reason for needing to update Stella to 3.6.1. Older 24K releases will still work in the newer versions of Stella, so that you can still run all the WIP releases in the future.

OK maybe one thing I have noticed.. the new version is 28 kB compared to 8 (?) in that other version...

The core game is around 10KB in my version. The remainder is polish, e.g. variable rotation speeds, 32-positions sprites, background stars, ring explosion animation, fancy title screen, title music, high score table.

Yes, the format changed slightly from 24K to 28K. In fact, that's the reason for needing to update Stella to 3.6.1. Older 24K releases will still work in the newer versions of Stella, so that you can still run all the WIP releases in the future.

I think he was referring to the other version :)

Chris

Edited by cd-w

I think he was referring to the other version :)

Chris

Oh, right :) To me, that other version doesn't even exist, since I've never seen it, and it's likely nobody else ever will either.

Since I don't personally enjoy Star Castle, (I like Missile Command), I've taken time, instead, to enjoy watching the development of this whole project, the notes, the feedback, the camaraderie. And actually seeing it make RC1 status. To me this exemplifies what the hobby is all about.

Regarding the other version, I prefer to think of that as a technology demo. Demonstrating what is possible. Folks, what we have here, now, today, already at RC status, is the real thing! And best of all it incorporates ideas straight from the community.

Who would have thought that back in 1977 some of us would be a bunch of old farts enjoying new games 35 years later?

• Like 1

Re: Boulderdash = special.

Damn right it is! Seriously great work, and IMHO a tech milestone for the old VCS. (that wasn't supposed to be possible guys)

There will be some more of those as people wrap their heads around the Harmony / Melody option we've got today. It's like Supercharger V2! Look at SpiceWare right now. Holy crap, another good one cooking! (we are spoiled, if you think about it)

@Chris Golden man. Really. I gotta go show this off. (And I love showing VCS stuff off to people who remember it, but have no idea of what it does today, in the hands of all you seriously bad ass talented people) I come here everyday to follow projects, and often think back to when I was a kid, fascinated by the pixels, colors, sounds, and the idea that ordinary people could get control of that there TV and make it do some stuff they want it to do. Here we are so many years later, and it's still a kick. I pretty much won't let anything spoil that.

IMHO, Scott is somewhat not well understood. Prolly will catch a bit of heat for this, but he is who he is, operates the way he operates. Nothing bad was intended here when he jumped in to share in the way he feels he can. It was taken badly though, and after some considerable time and discussion, here we are. It could have gone better. No blame either. Not about that. It could have gone better, that's all. Just think about times people have come and been ran off, or scared away. Happens. Just think about that too, again no blame, I include myself in that call to just think about it.

Being a pro comes with some expectations. I know not all pros demonstrate those, but some do, and it's a matter of personal choice. Never did see anything wrong with his project and exhibitions. From day one, the idea of doing fun stuff on the Atari was the common ground. Still is, and Andrew is right too. Gauntlet was thrown down and picked up very nicely. That's common ground too, even if general ideas around openness aren't.

(Before I get pounded on, please consider my earlier "door always open" comment up thread, as I mean nothing negative to or about anyone with this comment. Any Atari conversation should always continue. Stopping it is the end game nobody wants.)

Personally, I'm quite pleased to see this community do what it does and do it well. That's the best ambassadorship there is folks. Excellent, and dammit, I wish I had VCS time. All these new developments are making me want to jump in again. The machine is a lot of fun. In any case, I am also pleased to be able to interact with and follow the work of so many damn fine people. Thanks.

**beat me up a little, if you need to. It's OK, no worries. Just had to say some of this stuff, so it's damn clear.

Edited by potatohead
  • Like 2