IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

Let me see if I can do cliff notes on this:

1) Guy #1 spends a lot of time programming Star Castle for 2600 for the challenge and because he was a prior Atari employee.

2) Guy #1 adds up all the time he has spent on the game and going by a reasonable hourly rate, estimates time spent was $32,000.00.

3) Guy#1 offers the rights to his work for $32,000.00, AtariAge members generally laugh.

4) Guy#1 says the game will not be made available.

5) Guy#2 uses more memory and programs a better version of Star Castle and is willing to make it available to the public for considerably less than $32,000.00.

6) Guy#1 launches a website offering his game at $50.00, provided $10,000.00 of games are purchased. Other purchase options are available, including one that has a one hour phone conversation with Guy #1.

• Like 2

One $100 option is a pre-programmed stock Harmony cartridge in a dark shell with no lights. ("The cartridge may not have flashing lights but it is reprogrammable.")

So for $100 I get a Harmony cartridge with an SD card containing Star Castle?

Without SD card. Harmony can be "flashed" to be a one game cart without an SD Flash Card. It doesn't flash (blink/light up). It's a non-smoker, it doesn't light up. You can reprogram (flash) it to run games from an SD Flash Card, and put your files and the Star Castle file there. Wow, it is kinda funny/confusing...

Numan: Pretty much, except #2 is a stretch. I think solidcorp said that a price he'd sell his home made original prototype was $32,768. He didnt want to sell it, but if offered that amount or more he could not turn it down.

When I saw this thread the other day I went to pledge for the $50 cart, but I realized a pledge meant charging my credit card now. I'm a little strung out right now, so I'll have to hold off on pledging for now, but I like the idea and hope you meet your goal.

BTW, do you know if your ROM will play on the z26 emulator? I'm very interested in this because the Atari 2600 emulator for XBox is based on z26 and is primarily how I use emulation.

• Like 1

When I saw this thread the other day I went to pledge for the $50 cart, but I realized a pledge meant charging my credit card now. I'm a little strung out right now, so I'll have to hold off on pledging for now, but I like the idea and hope you meet your goal.

It should only charge at the project end date, and if successful.

Well that went from one of the most expensive homebrews to one of the best values out there over night :)

Where else can you get a homebrew with a custom clear case, custom PCB with LEDs onboard, sealed in box, with a CD containing the ROM/code/artwork, your name on a list of contributors in the manual, AND a good looking game done by an actual Atari programmer from back in the day for only $100?

It should only charge at the project end date, and if successful.

Yep, that's true. Only after successful completion.

Well that went from one of the most expensive homebrews to one of the best values out there over night :)

Where else can you get a homebrew with a custom clear case, custom PCB with LEDs onboard, sealed in box, with a CD containing the ROM/code/artwork, your name on a list of contributors in the manual, AND a good looking game done by an actual Atari programmer from back in the day for only $100?

That's what a little competition does ;) If he didn't get this out before Chris' version was completed, it'd be about as popular as a Krokodile cart was straight after the release of the Harmony.

BTW, do you know if your ROM will play on the z26 emulator? I'm very interested in this because the Atari 2600 emulator for XBox is based on z26 and is primarily how I use emulation.

I'll double check it on z26, I used to use it.

I'm buried now but I added it to my to-do list. If I don't respond by next week, either re-ping this topic or message me directly.

As far as Kickstarter is concerned, all transactions are handled by Amazon - I had to set up an Amazon merchant account to set up the Kickstarter. I *thought* that they didn't charge anything until the campaign is over and only if it is successful, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put a hold on the accounts to prevent fraud. This is all speculation, I don't know for sure.

Why not extend the kickstart campaign and make even more money?

The campaign is not limited financially by the goal so it can make as much money as people pledge in the 30 days time.

I chose 30 days because it is the most successful time interval, longer and people have to wait too long for rewards, shorter and you may not be able to promote your project adequately.

By the end of the 30 days most people who would be interested in this project should have heard of it and had the opportunity to get what they would like.

Mmm, yeah. I've never dealt with this 'Kickstarter' before. I'm considering the $50 pledge as well, but I don't really like the idea of getting charged $50 now, and then waiting a long time for a project to go ahead.

If I make a pledge and the project proceeds, what's the timeline like after that...?

Mmm, yeah. I've never dealt with this 'Kickstarter' before. I'm considering the $50 pledge as well, but I don't really like the idea of getting charged $50 now, and then waiting a long time for a project to go ahead.

If I make a pledge and the project proceeds, what's the timeline like after that...?

It's my understanding that no one is charged until the Kickstarter is complete and successful. If it is not successful, no one is charged.

Estimated delivery time for cartridges is July 2012.

It's all on the Kickstarter page.

I'll double check it on z26, I used to use it.

It appears to work perfectly under z26 v2.13

Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage to using the z26 emulator for games?

It's my understanding that no one is charged until the Kickstarter is complete and successful. If it is not successful, no one is charged.

It appears to work perfectly under z26 v2.13

Good to know on both counts. I'll have to take another look at it. :)

Edited by KevinMos3

Well-played, Mr. Williamson, well-played . . .

As is appropriate for the Internet, we require a meme for this moment . . .

citizen_cane.gif

I note you are approximately half-way there now on Kickstarter. This becomes more and more interesting!

Pity that Kotaku did not cover the "two sides of STAR CASTLE" but I guess that's out little family secret for now . . . ! ;) It will be a good follow-up article at some point.

In the end, ANYthing that stimulates development on my favorite classic console and reawakens it in the minds of the public is positive in my eyes.

-a2a

post-27961-0-44297800-1335470300_thumb.gif

Edited by atari2atari
  • Like 2

hmm why does that sound familar to me :roll:

I for sure will put in for it.

for some reason I Keep calling it Star Castles and not Star Castle (love playing the arcde game at galloping ghost hope to get this game for my 2600(I'll of course d/l the rom

to add to my home brew and hacks for harmony) but I do want the cart as well.

hmm why does that sound familar to me :roll:

I for sure will put in for it.

for some reason I Keep calling it Star Castles and not Star Castle (love playing the arcde game at galloping ghost hope to get this game for my 2600(I'll of course d/l the rom

to add to my home brew and hacks for harmony) but I do want the cart as well.

I got confused with cd-w star castle and scotts. I'll prob go for the cd and cart on scotts and when I have time I'll give cd-rs a try.

Just have to say I think this has turned out really well, it looks like it's selling like hotcakes! $6,000 and counting! It's gone from a sales model that I really didn't like to an interesting new one - I wonder if any other homebrew authors will be tempted to follow suit?

I just noticed this section:

a portion of all CD proceeds will be donated to the Stella project to promote continued development.

Something I definitely support - I think it's easy for developers to forget how much they depend on some of the excelent tools that have been developed over recent years, and it's great that Stella and Stephen will benefit from this, so a big +1 to scott from me.

• Like 2