IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2012!

I must admit that the Mega Man series never really was a favorite of mine, but Mega Man 3 which I just finished was very enjoyable from start to end :thumbsup:

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master & Mega Man 3

27. Akai Katana (360)

Probably doesn't really count since it's a shmup that you can credit feed and finish in 30 minutes or so, but still, I've put quite a bit of time into it since I've had it this past week. Purposely credit-fed to see the multiple character endings, but I have spent most of my time doing Score Attack runs.

26. Double Dragon (SMS)

I know this port has some ardent defenders, but I think it's lousy. Yeah, it's more faithful to the arcade and supports co-op play, but the AI is brain-dead, the controls erratic (especially on the dreadful SMS pads), the music anemic, and the challenge almost exclusively derived from cheap shots.

Otherwise it's a cakewalk, and took me less than 90 minutes to beat. Plus the presentation is quite poor, with a cheapo look that features garish colors and tons of flicker -- though Willy was so easy, even flickering bullets didn't stop me.

Rag on the NES version all you want for making you earn the special moves, but at least there's a reason to use them -- the SMS port's core strategy amounts to "Punch while pressing diagonally". In principle, you can practically no-hit the entire game that way. Or you can take the pacifist route: just stand on top of a lone enemy, and watch it flail away at empty space while the two of you flicker in peaceful harmony. I give this port a D.

• Like 1

I just fully completed Final Fight in the Double Impact version, from Capcoms Digital Collection on the XBOX 360. That includes getting all 5 Final Fight Related achievements and completing all 51 challenges, i.e. I've also unlocked everything in the vault. I even watched the bonus Street Fighter episode from the TV series :)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3 & Final Fight.

Just completed Mercs on CCC for PS2, unlocking all 4 extras as well.

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight & Mercs.

Ever beat the Genesis version? As I recall it's significantly expanded.

I think I had it 20 years ago and most likely also beat it. I don't remember much from it though :)

It's one of the 'reprogrammed' Cacpom games from Sega, no?

I think the CCC version supports 3 player coop through a multitap, but I usually already struggle to find a 2nd player for these old games ;)

Playing coop with my wife we just completed Mega Twins on CCC2 for PS2, unlocking all 3 extras as well.

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs & Mega Twins.

Now this is first - I beat Block Block playing with my two little daughters! (4 & 6) :D

(On CCC2 for PS2, unlocking all 3 extras)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins & Block Block.

Nevermind. This afternoon my brother-in-law came over and we played straight through all Three Wonders at once, which also unlocked all 3 extras :D

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block & Three Wonders

27. Ardy Lightfoot (SNES)

This 16-bit platformer is nothing groundbreaking, and certainly has its share of flaws: the play control is occasionally suspect, the final boss fight a bit too tedious, and the replay value minimal. But it also has the key virtue of being almost unfailingly pleasant to play, which is a claim many of its contemporaries can't make (or stake). And even when it's frustrating, it's usually the good kind of frustration.

Just don't expect more than about 3-4 hours of gameplay from it. But if you enjoy those 3-4 hours, as I did, then no harm no foul. I'd give it a B+.

Another fast one, The Little Mermaid for the Game Boy. Now that was really one for the children ;)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block, Three Wonders & The Little Mermaid

Another fast one, The Little Mermaid for the Game Boy. Now that was really one for the children ;)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block, Three Wonders & The Little Mermaid

How long did it take you to finish Bionic Commando? I started playing this once but it looked really long to me...

How long did it take you to finish Bionic Commando? I started playing this once but it looked really long to me...

I finished the Arcade version in a single session - with unlimited continues.

Rearmed was a different beast though, since I was aiming for all 12 trophies. It took over two months to get my name enlisted here: http://www.ps3trophies.com/100_club/Bionic-Commando-Rearmed :D

Just completed 1941: Counter Attack playing coop with my daughter, unlocking all 3 extras as well.

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block, Three Wonders, The Little Mermaid & 1941: Counter Attack

28. B.O.B. (SNES)

I liked the Genesis version a lot, but the SNES version is clearly superior in presentation and play control (especially jumping and item selection). And having better play control allows for slightly higher difficulty, especially in the boss fights -- which works out well since I remember breezing through the bosses in the Genesis version, whereas the SNES boss fights require real care and tactical awareness.

(They also sorta-require you to bring items from previous stages, since without big guns and invincibility items, the last few bosses become extremely difficult. To beat the final boss, I basically had to 1LC the preceding stages and carefully manage my inventory.)

There's something to be said for playing through the two versions in the order I did -- assuming you like B.O.B.'s style of gameplay, that is. I certainly wouldn't want to have gone the other way, since it'd be hard to appreciate the Genesis version after playing the SNES. About the only major flaw in the latter is a buggy music engine that, bizarrely, will often slow the music down when you're scrolling the screen. Otherwise, I think the SNES version deserves full-fledged "hidden gem" status. I'd give it an A, and the Genesis version a B+.

• Like 1