IGNORED

Developing USB adaptor for Colecovision & Intellivision controllers

dualcam

Does anybody know if there is any word yet on the possibility to buy the CV and INTV Flashback controllers separately? I've no real interest in the systems, but would love to get some new controllers and some of these 'daptors to run with emulators.

Not that I know of, but I think a lot people are purchasing systems more to get the controllers (despite the incompatibility issue). Sure seems like an opportunity here for them to offer separate controllers.

Tom

2600-daptor.com

Not that I know of, but I think a lot people are purchasing systems more to get the controllers (despite the incompatibility issue). Sure seems like an opportunity here for them to offer separate controllers.

Tom

2600-daptor.com

It blows my mind that nobody behind these flashback products had the foresight to a) meet the demand for "re-issue" controllers that they've already designed and built anyway; and b) ensure they're interchangeable with the originals.

i suppose one could say that issuing the controllers as standalone products might cut into flashback console sales, as people opt to buy the controllers and use them on PC emulation rigs (as I would like to do) rather than bothering with the consoles, but I really don't see that being a problem. I mean, holding back the controllers is not going to convince me to buy a flashback, that's for sure.

It blows my mind that nobody behind these flashback products had the foresight to a) meet the demand for "re-issue" controllers that they've already designed and built anyway

Well... sometimes it can be hard to tell what the interest will be. I had very little feedback when I asked about whether or not to make the Vision-daptor, but it proved out anyway.

Seems clear, or clearer now, that there is interest for a re-issue of the controllers.

Tom

2600-daptor.com

• 2 months later...

If all I want to do is play one player Intellivision games through emulation, then it seems the Vision Dapter is the better option than the Ultimate PC Interface as it's half the price but does what I need it to do. I only own the Flashback controllers, but it sounds like the Vision Dapter will work with those now. Do I need to order anything else besides the Vision Dapter and the USB cable for this purpose?

If all I want to do is play one player Intellivision games through emulation, then it seems the Vision Dapter is the better option than the Ultimate PC Interface as it's half the price but does what I need it to do. I only own the Flashback controllers, but it sounds like the Vision Dapter will work with those now. Do I need to order anything else besides the Vision Dapter and the USB cable for this purpose?

No, you only need the Vision-daptor and USB cable.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com

• 9 months later...

Let me know what other controllers you would like to see added. The Vision-daptor could support just about any digital DB9 controller.

Question--does the daptor make a distinction between a standard-issue Genesis controller and other Genesis controllers like that arcade-style stick, and if so, will the latter work? I think it's a Sega product so I'd imagine that it is schematically the same as the standard d-pad controller.

Question--does the daptor make a distinction between a standard-issue Genesis controller and other Genesis controllers like that arcade-style stick, and if so, will the latter work? I think it's a Sega product so I'd imagine that it is schematically the same as the standard d-pad controller.

I would imagine they are schematically the same and so would work. I'll get a couple to try and report back.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com

I've tried out my vision-daptor and it works great. What a great little gadget to have on hand.

A side benefit I didn't even think of when I ordered it: now I have a way of bringing a joystick with me when I travel, so I don't have to use a crappy Logitech d-pad to play MAME. Maze games in MAME are unplayable with d-pads (IMO), but now I'm able to use a 2600 joystick and it works incredibly well.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do any of the colecovision emulators see the keypad buttons through the Vision-dapter?

Duh. I figured out my issue.

For those wondering, I got my ColecoVision buttons working in CoolCV on the Raspberry pi. I'm attaching the button mapping configuration file for those interested. Just save it as a regular text file

coolcv_mapping.txt

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought the wonderful Vision Daptor and use it regularly with my Intellivision Flashback controllers and Nostolgia 5.0, it works great. I am having trouble getting JZINTV to recognize the controller through my Retropie. Anyone have any suggestions or configuration files they could throw my way?

I bought the wonderful Vision Daptor and use it regularly with my Intellivision Flashback controllers and Nostolgia 5.0, it works great. I am having trouble getting JZINTV to recognize the controller through my Retropie. Anyone have any suggestions or configuration files they could throw my way?

Jzintv should automatically recognise the first two game controllers so unplug any other controllers. It will automatically configure the disc and side buttons. You will need a mapping file for the keypads. So does it work at all?

• 8 months later...

I'm seemingly having some issues with my Vision-daptor. It's losing connectivity to my laptop PC and my RPi3. I've tested with a couple different cables with similar results.

I'm going to see if updating the firmware solves the issue at some point tonight. If not, more testing is required.

Was it purchased recently? They ship with the latest firmware already installed. Last firmware change was June '16.

What happens and what do you have to do to get it connected again? Do you think it is just a particular controller? Or how long it has be connected?

I have seen on the 2600-daptors sometimes the USB connection is reset when the controller is changed (particularly with the 2600 keypad), but it reconnects itself. The situation is different on the Vision-daptor, as you need to unplug/replug the USB when changing controllers.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

Edited by dualcam