IGNORED

Which port would you like to see next for the SGM

opcode

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which port would you like to see next for the Super Game Module?

• Pengo
    • Dig Dug
    • Donkey Kong Jr
    • Popeye

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Ok, let's make this official then. Which game do you want to see ported for the Super Game Module once Donkey Kong is out? I want to eventually port all 4, so the question here is which one to port first. Have fun! :)

BTW, as I mentioned before, the reason for specifically choosing those 4 games has to do with easy to port. I would like to have as many games out for the SGM as quickly as possible. And Arkanoid isn't listed because it would require a special controller, and after the SGM I would like to take a break of hardware stuff for a while.

Edited by opcode

I voted Pengo.

I've never been a big fan of Dig-Dug, and as for Popeye, aside from a proper title screen and perhaps better sprite graphics and animation on Popeye himself, I don't see how much better it could be compared to the Parker Brothers original, which was already pretty good for the time.

If Pengo hadn't been in the list, I would have picked Donkey Kong Jr.

• Like 1

...as for Popeye, aside from a proper title screen and perhaps better sprite graphics and animation on Popeye himself, I don't see how much better it could be compared to the Parker Brothers original, which was already pretty good for the time.

You can bet it could be way better... ;)

Hm, very tight race so far...

I am not voting, as they would be all fun to do (otherwise I wouldn't have selected them to start with).... And I spent quite some tokens playing all 4 back in the day.

The first time I played Pengo I immediately recognized the Popcorn song, since I had the compact record from the 70s. Was very disappointed when I got the VCS version and it had different music. I suppose there was some sort of copyright issue.

Dig-Dug I played both the Zig-Zag bootleg (the one with pickaxes) and the Atari version. Didn't play it again until I got the MSX version in the mid 80s.

Popeye I played both the 2600 and ColecoVision versions back in the day. Thought the 2600 version was quite ok, loved the CV version. However it can be done so much better.

Donkey Kong Jr I probably played the least of the bunch, but that was because I thought the game was too hard for my skill, so I spent more time watching than playing. Always loved how Nintendo could create almost cartoon experiences with their games. Never liked the 2600 version (too much lost in translation), and thought the ColecoVision was just ok.

Mockups... Dig-Dug and Pengo would both include a scaled down mode where the full arcade playfield would be displayed on the CV screen. However the graphics would look a bit different. DK Jr score area is missing stuff, but it should look basically the same as DKA.

post-1432-0-41943800-1330014437_thumb.png

post-1432-0-81895700-1330014447_thumb.png

post-1432-0-99660700-1330014459_thumb.png

post-1432-0-04665100-1330014474_thumb.png

I have to admit, that Popeye mockup looks pretty good. :) Although there would likely be a lot of sprite flicker when Popeye and Bluto are displayed along the same scanlines. The bottle-throwing Sea Hag could also be a source of increased flicker. Still, very nice. :)

Donkey Kong Jr would be more worthwhile as an add-on to a future update of Donkey Kong Arcade. I think you know what I mean by that, we've discussed it before. ;)

EDIT: Any special reason why you made Olive's hair red? Dark blue seems more appropriate...

Edited by Pixelboy

I voted Pengo...the other three titles are all too common across systems

I would say Pengo is the most ported game across systems than the others... There are pengo or pengo clones one almost all computer/console released!

i love that game too... I made myself a remake of that game on PC , in 1992 !.

I have to admit, that Popeye mockup looks pretty good. Although there would likely be a lot of sprite flicker when Popeye and Bluto are displayed along the same scanlines. The bottle-throwing Sea Hag could also be a source of increased flicker. Still, very nice.

Actually flicker shouldn't be worse than the others. Here is why, if you care about those technical details.

Pengo uses the same hardware as Pac-Man, which means 6 sprites total (3 colors each). Since I usually use 2 CV sprites to emulate arcade sprites, that give us 12 sprites. So in the very worst case we can get sprites flickering at 20Hz, which isn't that bad. Actually that is exactly what we get with Pac-Man Collection.

For DK Jr, it is harder to give an exact number, but we can expect about the same amount of flickering as DK, which is in the 14 sprites range in the very worst case (actually I suspect DK Jr should do a bit better than that, as we don't have something like the rivet stage).

Dig-Dug is even harder to predict, but I can tell you that the later stages can get really busy with enemies. Considering Fygar's fire and Dig-Dug's air bump, I would say perhaps 16 sprites worst case, which is 15Hz.

Now Popeye. Both Popeye and Bluto would use 4 sprites in the same scanline maximum. Another 4 for the Sea Hag. So 12 so far. Then we could have a couple more for help letters. So again in the same range as the other games. Now, we need to take into account that those are worst case numbers. Most the time Popeye isn't the same platform as Bluto actually. And the Sea Hog only shows in stage 3.

For all the other games I can offer the same option I am including in DK, using single sprites for all enemies. That reduces flicker quite a bit, though making the game less colorful. For Popeye I don't think that would be a good option, as all the characters must be recognizable and hearts, notes and helps are already single color.

OK.. we know they will all come someday. What is the time differential in getting them done? I'd prefer you spent your time programming whatever you can get to market fastest in order. e.g. If Dig Dug is 2 months and Pengo is 6 months then I'd definitely go Dig Dug. I'd prefer to get a 2nd SGM game as fast as possible!

I wish it was a 6 month job.... :)

Probably 1~1 1/2 year each one. Pengo is about 30% done. DK Jr uses mostly the same engine as DK. Popeye isn't that different either. And Dig-Dug uses a 3 CPUs hardware, but that is also the base for Galaga and Xevious.

But in the meantime we will have quite a few games from Pixelboy and CollectorVision. I think the schedule will become clear in a few months.

And the Sea Hog only shows in stage 3.

She shows up on all levels, as soon as the first stage.

Ok, my mistake. I was thinking of the vulture. Sea Hag has a very different name in Portuguese, so I am still getting used.

Actually she can be partially made of tile graphics.

Probably 1~1 1/2 year each one. Pengo is about 30% done. DK Jr uses mostly the same engine as DK. Popeye isn't that different either. And Dig-Dug uses a 3 CPUs hardware, but that is also the base for Galaga and Xevious.

But in the meantime we will have quite a few games from Pixelboy and CollectorVision. I think the schedule will become clear in a few months.

Arcade ports are all nice and swell, but there are also MSX ports I'm personally looking forward to, like Maze of Galious, Penguin Adventure and Gradius. Those are still on your personal to-do list, along with Knightmare and Goonies, right? :)

Arcade ports are all nice and swell, but there are also MSX ports I'm personally looking forward to, like Maze of Galious, Penguin Adventure and Gradius. Those are still on your personal to-do list, along with Knightmare and Goonies, right? :)

Yes, they are coming, however I want to better space them between arcade ports. The exception would be next year with Goonies and Knightmare, since we want to grow the SGM catalog as fast as possible, but after that I plan to release a single MSX port in between arcade ports.

Yes, they are coming, however I want to better space them between arcade ports. The exception would be next year with Goonies and Knightmare, since we want to grow the SGM catalog as fast as possible, but after that I plan to release a single MSX port in between arcade ports.

Sounds like a good plan. :D

So with the extra RAM and the extra sound chip in the SGM, I suppose porting those MSX games should be relatively easy, assuming going from MegaROM to MegaCart is not too difficult? :)