IGNORED

Rick Dangerous

Heaven/TQA

• 4 months later...

I would pay EUR 10,00 even for a download version. Let's face it: As soon as this game comes out there will be immediately copies. So why not selling it as a download version?

Henrik (Island2Live)

Just because a product is released it does not mean its instantly pirated, I can honestly say I have not seen any dumps of recently released buyable games when I've been scanning the web. The Atari community tends to look after its authors,

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

I would pay EUR 10,00 even for a download version. Let's face it: As soon as this game comes out there will be immediately copies. So why not selling it as a download version?

I would pay EUR 30,00 if this comes out on cartridge. :)

Kind regards,

Henrik (Island2Live)

This isn't the 1980s. People are generally pretty good about supporting follow 8-bit programmers. There are always a few bad apples but it takes a lot of them to make piracy a problem. It's just not popular to pirate 8-bit software. Back in the day it was. But not now.

Allan

• Like 3

This isn't the 1980s. People are generally pretty good about supporting follow 8-bit programmers. There are always a few bad apples but it takes a lot of them to make piracy a problem. It's just not popular to pirate 8-bit software. Back in the day it was. But not now.

Allan

Am I the only person back in the 80s that bought all of his games? :)

On a different note, I think that now it is NICE to get the latest game but it isn't a "must have" anymore. Whereas I remember back in the 80s, I would see the latest Atari game on the shelves and I had to buy it if I had enough pocket money left.

So I think that as we have all grown up, we don't mind paying a small fee for games and if we don't like buying them or lack any spare money, we can get by on the freeware either for the Atari or the PC / Android. Nowadays it is easier to respect people's IP.

Digital download option is often enough for many... Some people don't have real hardware anymore, some live far away and think it's ridiculous to pay for the postage more than the game cartridge itself...

I wouldn't worry about pirating good retro games...

Real fans will gladly pay, cheapskates will find a way to get it for free.

Patiently waiting for Rick on A8 ... :)

Allan

An example is Xenophobe.

Fandal paid a lot of money to assure that wonderful unreleased game to the community and AFAIK no one dumped the rom.

You can only buy it from Video 61 to help Fandal recover costs.

Just because a product is released it does not mean its instantly pirated, I can honestly say I have not seen any dumps of recently released buyable games when I've been scanning the web. The Atari community tends to look after its authors,

Allan

I am really glad to hear this. Just because I am currently myself in the process of developing a game for the Atari computer series. Those are very encouraging words! :)

But anyway: I would nevertheless pay say (more or less) $10 for a download version and (more or less) $30 - 35 for a cartridge release.

Kind regards,

Henrik (Island2Live)

Am I the only person back in the 80s that bought all of his games? :)

On a different note, I think that now it is NICE to get the latest game but it isn't a "must have" anymore. Whereas I remember back in the 80s, I would see the latest Atari game on the shelves and I had to buy it if I had enough pocket money left.

Pah, you youngsters, I was working at that time :)

I was lucky at that time, I sold Atari stuff for Maplin so I got whatever game I wanted but I also as I've made no secret of before also walked in the 'Dark Side' so I got everything for free, the trouble is with that is you realise when you get older that all you did was collect little squares, you played so little because you had too much choice. Now I buy what I like, just behind me I have a huge load of Dreamcast stuff, Gamecube, Xbox and Xbox360 games, all originals and I've played every one of them.

That's why long ago I stopped walking the dark side..........I actually enjoy these games...

I still love my old Atari to bits as I do the C64 and the Amiga computerwise, I still have the vast choice but because I've collected these from sites where every one can get them and are considered 99% free ware, I feel I've not been a bad boy and actually sit down and play these often brilliant (and sadly awful at times) old games knowing I'm on the right side of the border.

Its a much nicer feeling..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...