IGNORED

Rick Dangerous

Heaven/TQA

Reading between the lines I get the feeling the whole design was based on the fact it would end up on the C64 and the spectrum, and the playing area size along with the coarse scrolling with stopped logic is to give our rubber-keyed friend a fighting chance at pulling it off.

It actually looks like the converted Speccy version, optimized for Atari graphics.

32 Bytes width seem to open the door for every Speccy conversion.

You know , how scrolling works on the A8?

Horizontal scrolling takes a lot of CPU Cycle stealing, but then it is just a "poke" to move the screen for up to 4 pixels.

Vertical scrolling costs nothing. It also moves DLIs for up to to 8(16) lines, without any care, when using a charmode

The game seems to use some software movement, resulting in interleaved vertical movement with the moving objects on the screen.

So, there is no scrolling used, particular no horizontal scrolling, which would make things a lot harder.

Yes, I was able to infer what you meant to begin with. But using the words "no scrolling" because it doesn't use H-scrolling in particular comes off as a cheap shot. From a viewing and a playing standpoint, it doesn't matter if it's horizontal or vertical. It's got scrolling.

Not sure of your achievement in software-production.

But, everything that allows to create "new programs" by just changing the value in a register, is a piece of cake.

I've put together enough software and seen what it's taken on others' efforts to know they've got their hands full here. Once again, your point is understood, but using the words "piece of cake" to describe something so time-consuming and well-crafted comes off as another cheap shot to make a point. It's more like a "piece of art" / "work of art".

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Yes, I was able to infer what you meant to begin with. But using the words "no scrolling" because it doesn't use H-scrolling in particular comes off as a cheap shot. From a viewing and a playing standpoint, it doesn't matter if it's horizontal or vertical. It's got scrolling.

Yes, but this is a local "Atari 8 bit forum" . So the restrictions were clear. If people don't know them , explanations were needed.

That's all.

Edited by emkay

Yes, but this is a local "Atari 8 bit forum" . So the restrictions were clear. If people don't know them , explanations were needed.

That's all.

It's understood, things just need to be balanced out.

We have to be honest; There is a lot of software being produced for the A8's every year, but a project like this stands out above all but a few.

Was probably a lowest common denominator imposition, ie Spectrum and ST.

Though it doesn't really detract too much, the game tends to be zoned into areas where you perform the moves to allow safe passage then move onward.

I used to play RD2 a lot on the Amiga and it was a favourite. Never really played the first one.

Tend to agree with some critic reviews that it is repetitive and relies on remembering the patterns. But it did have pretty good repeat value in the day and would be a very welcome gapfiller on the A8.

Yeah one of all time classic on my ST.... and I don't know how often I played it... 1 and 2.... does the a8 contain the "aaaaaaaa" sample?

Well you can... as showed in my latest demo....

It plays 8khz samples while action on screen.... basically interleaved in code.... odd lines code even lines sample playing....

And sheddy showed in Space harrier as well it works even with 15khz as far as I remember... gridrunner uses same sample player as space harrier...

If I remember it right the sample is played back when rick dies and he flys towards the screen on 16bit machines... so action is anyway halted.

• Like 5

Damn - that Gridrunner looks and sounds awesome - is there a downloadable of it?

And it goes without saying the latest work shown on Rick Dangerous is superb.

As anyone who actually makes games knows it's NOT easy, however simple, polished and elegant the final experience is to players - huge props to everyone doing it...

Cannot wait!!!

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 1

Damn - that Gridrunner looks and sounds awesome - is there a downloadable of it?

And it goes without saying the latest work shown on Rick Dangerous is superb.

As anyone who actually makes games knows it's NOT easy, however simple, polished and elegant the final experience is to players - huge props to everyone doing it...

Cannot wait!!!

sTeVE

Gridrunner I will post tomorrow or search here in forum... I forgot to release the "final" yet....

But beware.... it's the VIC-20 original code of Jeff running in a sandbox on a8. Tezz did the title screen.

• Like 1

Well you can... as showed in my latest demo....

It plays 8khz samples while action on screen.... basically interleaved in code.... odd lines code even lines sample playing....

And sheddy showed in Space harrier as well it works even with 15khz as far as I remember... gridrunner uses same sample player as space harrier...

If I remember it right the sample is played back when rick dies and he flys towards the screen on 16bit machines... so action is anyway halted.

Amazing! I love this.

Gridrunner I will post tomorrow or search here in forum... I forgot to release the "final" yet....

But beware.... it's the VIC-20 original code of Jeff running in a sandbox on a8. Tezz did the title screen.

Here is the link to the thread, sir: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258136-gridrunner-vic-20-port-final-beta/

- Y -

From the translated page:

"Current work focuses on reworking and optimizing the code. It is with this little work because it determined that Rick will run on the Atari with 64kB."

"With other things include music and sound effects are already made from 100%. A few things graphic is yet corrected (but these are trifles)."

Strange thing is that on 2 of those 3 screens in the left normal A8 Rick sprite isn't PMG coloured like is on the one you see here/the only one of the 2 at AtariOnline.

Why? Don't get it as Rick is [1+1] PLAYERS in multicolour mode giving 3rd colour and on those 2 it is like the enemys just a soft sprite using the 3 PFs colours same as the enemys.

On the other hand I think I remember to saw the remaining 2PLAYERS used in some underlays on gfxs to add some more colour(s). Wondering where are they now... And the 4MISSILES?

:)

Edited by José Pereira