IGNORED

Can the Jaguar do what the Neo Geo did?

MAYAman

You could, in theory, but the EEPROM "bus" is only one-bit wide and very slow, so it wouldn't be worth it for RAM.

So the Jaguar is only a 1-bit system then?

yes, that's right, 64, 1-bit buss lines.

• Like 1

shouldn't that be (32+32+64+64+16)/5)? If memory serves, there is only one 16-bit processor, the 68000, the rest are 32 and 64-bit. So that would be ~42, THE answer, to life, the universe, and everything.

:grin:

yep, memory serves: http://www.vgmuseum....systems/jaguar/

Don't mess with MY math, after all, I'm smarter than the average Jag-off! ;-)

Edited by Gunstar

Your math is awesome, because you got the perfect answer! But I was going on connected bus widths, in that case, the DSP is 16 bit too. If you use internal processing widths, then the 68k is 32-bit as well. But if you external potential bus widths, then it's exactly like you said! it's so confusing!

Your math is awesome, because you got the perfect answer! But I was going on connected bus widths, in that case, the DSP is 16 bit too. If you use internal processing widths, then the 68k is 32-bit as well. But if you external potential bus widths, then it's exactly like you said! it's so confusing!

You forget the SkunkBoard. Since the SkunkBoard has its own 16bit processor, Jaguars with an inserted SkunkBoard have an extra 16 bits of awesome power :P

Robert

Forgotten or not, I won't include the skunkboard because it's not part of the core system which is all that counts, and I'm not going to screw up the perfect answer anyway.

If the answer was anything other than 42, I might measure it, but there is no need to double check something you already know is right. Please tell me we don't have people here that don't know the significance of 42! anyone who is confuse please re-read the last sentence in post 109, and if you still don't know what it all means, I pity you.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

It's not the answer to life, the universe, and everything... Rather, the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything. That was the point of like four books out of the trilogy. :)

Quite right, my mistake! :)

The marketing geniuses really screwed up on the whole 64-bit thing. I heard the Jag was 64-bit where it needed it. They should have at least tried to explain that to the mass market.

It's all a matter of perspective. I look at it this way, which is completely logical; the Jaguar is a 64-bit SYSTEM, not everything IN the system has to be 64-bit for the entirety to be 64-bit. Example; if you were to remake it today, and reduce it all down to one chip (instead of the current 5 processors on 3 chips), it would HAVE to be a 64-bit chip on a 64-bit buss with it's 64-bit memory, period.

The problem Atari caused for themselves in marketing was equating 64-bit automatically equals more power than anything with less "bits" like 32-bit, when the fact is "bitness" only equates to architecture, not (necessarily) power.

Edited by Gunstar

nobody is arguing. And even if we were, it's not as bad as people who feel the need to constantly link that nyan cat crap. And yes, we all know the intent. it's still more pitiful than arguing the Jag's "bitness."

Edited by Gunstar

Atari has always bent the truth about system "bitness". They called the Lynx 16-bit even though it had a 6502. They called the Portfolio 16-bit even though it was an 80C88. You know - I have the hardware manual for the original 8-bit line of computers. The GTIA has 60-bits of collision detection hardware in it. So - from now on I think I will refer to my 130XE as a 60-bit computer :)